1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SIC-HS20 cable best price

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by micks_address, Sep 30, 2002.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a the above cable to connect my dvd player to my vpl-hs1 projector. I've been quoted 379 euro for the cable in Dublin.

Its available for 50 USD at
    http://www.avmall.com/kore/catalog/Accessories/Cables/IDQLMLFQTMTX12AQF4S0/product.html

but they only seem to ship inside the US.

Its 62GBP at techtronics.com but they seem to be out of stock. Does anyone know where i can get this cable at the best price?

Cheers,
    Mick

2. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Well i couldn't resist so i went ahead and got the component cable for the hs1. The best price i got in dublin was 111 euro delivered at microaid.ie.... (got quoted 379 euro from a sony center!) i hope the price was worth it and i'll notice an improvement feeding component to the pj as opposed to s-video.....
    mick

3. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Mick

Please let us know if you spot any difference going to component. I have the HS1 and a Toshiba 510 DVD player connected with S-video, I have often thought about trying component and NTSC progressive scan from the Tosh, but I would not like to spend so much on the cable if no discenible difference was noticeable.

Thanks in anticipation.

Colin

4. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Will do colin - i won't be able to check it for a few weeks as i'm in the middle of a house move but i'll post my results asap. I know its a crazy amount of money to spend on a cable - but i have component out on my ns900 dvd player and i've wanted to try it for ages so i'm finally getting my chance.

Mick

5. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  6. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Sheks-

I have the same set up, HS1 and Tosh 510. To my eyes, theres a definite improvement going to component, esp in progressive R1. Lets hope Sony start to price the accesories better with the advent of the HS2

7. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the info Mike, looks like I shall have to spend the cash and try a component lead.

Colin

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I suggest people consider the SIC-HS30 lead instead of the HS-20.

The advantage of this lead is that the projector can then be used with a PC if you want to (HTPC maybe?) and as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), the R G and B pins on the PJ multi are shared with the component pins (the projector automatically detects what the incoming signal is) therefore a 15 pin Dsub to component lead should allow you to connect a component source as well.

I'm hoping this will work as I am now thinking of doing this instead of buying the IFU-HS1 signal interface box.

Either way, I'm pretty sure the SIC-HS40 lead is better than the SIC-HS20 lead because it also includes S-Video and composite connectors and is the same price. The only thing the SIC-HS20 has over it is the audio inputs but who is seriously going to use their projector as their sound source (even a hifi would sound better)

Ready to be shot down (please be gentle!:blush: )
    Alex.

9. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I have the HS-40 cable, I never thought to try out the HS-30 to see if it will work with a component break-out cable, could be an expensive mistake, but then again it may work?!!!

Have you confirmed with Sony whether this will work. In theory it should work, but there is an element of doubt...hmm.

I actually made up a VGA connection cable for my Cineza using the freebie composite multi-connector that came with the projector. It's a fiddly job, but do-able, see this link for details. I don't have a VGA / component breakout cable to test against though!

cheers

Gavin

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been thinking some more about this. I had already got my 'free' cable pieces and have been studying elche99's pinouts. The B-Y and R-Y parts of component are shared with the blue and green parts of RGB on the Sony. However, the Y component is on pin 19 and there is no natural analalogue for this on the standard 15-pin VGA connection. I am curious how component breakout leads are usually wired up. I am now going to try and make a 'universal lead' from the Sony free lead. This should have a VGA connector with VESA DDC connected, Audio L+R phonos, three RCA for component and a composite RCA.

Gavin, what wires did you decide to use when you made your VGA cable (did you use wire wrap - 30AWG?)? How much unscreened cable do you have before you reach your 15pin D-Sub? How DO you get those ****ing combs out without breaking off the latches!!!???

Lastly, probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between pin 27 (C-Video) and pin 23 (C)?

Cheers,
    Alex.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, stupid question, I forgot about S-Video!!
    Alex.

12. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Ah the memories come flooding back, those combs, yep fiddly to say the least!! I think patience was called for and with a tiny (watch maker size) flat-head screwdriver I managed to prise them off, if I remember correctly there is a latch at the end of the comb.

As for wires, I simply bought an el-chepo 2m VGA cable, with VGA connector at both ends. I then snipped one end off and then exposed the wires on the VGA cable. On the freebe multi-PJ cable I took apart the multi-PJ socket and recycled (moved) the existing wires to the pin-outs I needed. I then cut the cable where the multi-pj cable breaks out into the composite and audio phono cables. I then effectively joined my VGA cables to the multi-pj cable, matching up the VGA pin-outs with my new multi-pj pin-outs. Does this make sense? In the end I didn't need to buy any new cabling, I must admit to having a complete mare trying to move the pin-out connections, it was a complete and utter b*tch!!

Have fun and have lots of free time before you begin this, I nearly launched the cable into outer orbit several times, before eventually cracking it. Patience is the name of the game.

Oh and remember not to use pin 29 as an earth, that is earthed differently, all the others are effectively earthed together.

Finally what do the DDC connections do and what VGA pin do they map to? I wired mine with only R,G,B H,V and ground and it works a treat through VGA.

Gavin

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pin 29 is the earth for the composite video signal only (I guess it has a resistor in series - this is common practice).

As for VESA DDC (Display Data Channel) - it's basically the additional pins for communication between the PC and the display device (plug and play etc..) - should allow auto setup of resolution etc..

pinouts for VESA DDC 15pin VGA High Density D-SUB connector are:

Pin Name Dir Description
    1 RED OUT Red Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)
    2 GREEN OUT Green Video (as above)
    3 BLUE OUT Blue Video (as above)
    4 RES - Reserved
    5 GND - Ground (not usually connected)
    6 RGND - Red Ground
    7 GGND - Green Ground
    8 BGND - Blue Ground
    9 +5V OUT +5VDC
    10 SGND - Sync Ground
    11 ID0 IN Monitor ID Bit 0 (optional)
    12 SDA IN/OUT DDC Serial Data Line
    13 HSYNC or CSYNC OUT Horizontal Sync (or Composite Sync)
    14 VSYNC OUT Vertical Sync
    15 SCL IN/OUT DDC Data Clock Line

OUT is PC to Monitor
    IN is Monitor to PC

There are three different versions of DDC:
    DDC1 - Unidirectional (display to host only) serial comm system which provides basic display ID and support information (including supported timings, display size, colorimetry and gamma, etc..) to the host. This uses pin 12 on the 15-pin "VGA" connector as a data line.
    DDC2B - Adds clock (pin 15) and return (pin 11) to enable at least ID information to be obtained via an I2C interface. I2C is a bidirectional interface - display control via DDC2B is not defined (I think)
    DDC2AB - Full ID and control of the monitor via ACCESS.bus. As ACCESS.bus is basically a command and protocol definition on top of the I2C hardware interface, this uses the same lines as DDC2B and I think the Sony supports this.

Gavin, I don't suppose you could check the pinouts of your SIC-HS40 for me could you please? :D :D I am slightly unsure how to wire up for component - I think it is pin 13 (R-Y), pin 5 (B-Y) and pin 19 (Y) and their respective ground pins (add two to each pin no.) BUT I'm having a crisis of confidence, what is the G-Y (pin 9) for??? Should I be wiring component to that and not Y (pin 19). Any help gratefully received. By the way, I have found soldering a tiny strand of wire to the tip of my multimeter probe helps for checking the connections to each track of the PJ-Multi connector.

PJ-Multi is now successfully rewired with 25 core screened cable (all 21 signal and ground pins now wired up) from maplins - short length to aluminium box where all connectors are being installed this pm. Hope I get the wiring right!

Cheers,
    Alex.

14. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Alex, If I could I would definately, unfortunately my project is up on the ceiling and the other end of the cable is 15 ft away, Up through the ceiling voids.....I'll have a look and see if I can hash together some sort of test kit :)

As for the component connection, surely you'll need to connect pins 13 (Red-Y), pin 5 (Blue-Y) and pin 9 (Green-Y), then the earths for each as well. That should be all you need?

BTW, have you got a part-no for the cable you bought from Maplins?

cheers

Gavin

Update @11:10am, I've just checked the pin-outs on my HS-40 and the Green Component cable is definately wired through to Pin 9 on the multi-PJ. So you definately need to go 13 (Red-Y), pin 5 (Blue-Y) and pin 9 (Green-Y).

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gavin,

I now have my box wired up all but for the component leads. The VGA connector, the composite RCA and the audio phono sockets all work. I had thought that I would need Y for both the component leads and the S-Video so that is not wired in yet but the VGA, audio and composite all work fine.

I am really a bit confused about Sony's labelling of the component pinouts on the PJ-Multi. My initial thought was that they would be wired the way you suggest and some internal processing would detect whether the signal coming in was full bandwidth RGB or component. As you know component is Y Pb Pr (ie: Y=full luminance signal (same as S-Video), Pb is blue-Y and Pr is red-Y). Therefore elche99's pinouts should really be labelled Y instead of G-Y shouldn't they? as no component source would actually give you a green-Y output. It would be possible to reconstruct the full RGB signal from all three colours each minus Y but it would require some clever processing. I just thought maybe they had called it G-Y for some odd systems that do give a G-Y signal (most don't because it doesn't contain as much information as the other two colour difference signals ie.: the green part of the image is usually very close to the luminance signal)

So, I am very grateful for you checking for me - that has saved me alot of head scratching - back to the soldering iron!!

As for parts: the 25 core multicore cable is XR46A (£2 per metre - I used about 1 1/2 feet - you would not want to use much more than this if you want to keep signal interference down and I passed this into an aluminium box (LF12N) into which I drilled holes for a 15 pin male HD socket (JW77), six gold phone sockets (JZ06 or FT95) for the audio L&R, component x 3, and composite and an S-Video socket (JX08). I attached the foil braid from the cable to the shell of the PJ-Multi connector to extend the projectors earth shielding out to my aluminium box and use washers / electrical tape to isolate all the connectors from the aluminium box as they will carry shielding from their connecting cables from the source equipment (I think that's right and should avoid earth loops - someone correct me if I'm wrong). I intend to make a high quality male to male 15-pin VGA cable to carry signal from my intended purchase of the iScan Pro to my new breakout box (that's £150 saved - total cost ~£15).

Incidentally, Gavin, your check on the HS40 answers the question you and I both raised about using a VGA to component breakout cable. As far as I know these cables simply wire the R,G and B pins and their earths from the VGA cable to three phonos and therefore should be fine for people who have the SIC-HS30.

Hope that's helpful information and thanks again, I really appreciate you going to the trouble.
    Cheers,
    Alex.