SI deinterlacer worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ginaandlee, Oct 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DV89 and overall am happy with the picture, but i found out you can add the SI board for around $600. Is it worth that kind of money - i have a Toshiba 46HM84 DLP TV and ive never seen a SI descaler working to have something to compare. I only paid $600 for my DV89 direct from the US Arcam distributor (was a refurb unit) so $1200 total wouldnt be bad at all if it would be as good as the DV27A/29 for picture quality.

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +592
    The DV29 has a cheaper de-interlacer doesn't it? You might want to keep that in mind if doing any demos. The 27A has the SI board and the picture is fantastic but only you can decide if it's worth the extra money to you.

3. Dean_S

Dean_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should be added (perhaps this is obvious) that the deinterlacer board is only any use if your display accepts progressive component. If it doesn't, it is a waste of time!

4. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. My TV has progressive input (and HDMI), its hard to find a demo of a 27A.

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +592
    Does your DV89 have HDMI?

6. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, just progressive out.

7. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You could sell your DV89 on and buy a DV27a for circa £600GBP (just sold mine for that on this forum) and ship it over as it has a switchable 110v power supply. I sold my previous 88+ to a chap in the states and it was £80 to post it.

The 27a picture is definitely more fluid than the 88+ and the sound over coax digital carries more weight. Having said that, the 88+ was hardly shoddy and you can buy a lot of DVDs with the difference. The step from 88+ to 27a in both sound and picture is less than from a Pioneer 737 to the 88+ (as a point of reference).

The 27a is also a much better CD player but is still too polite and uninvolving for my tastes, hence I have sold it, bought a CD player and am looking for another 88+ for DVDs......

Cheers
    Rob

8. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I'm the bloke who bought Rob's 27a! :D I can't state hand-on-heart I see a picture improvement over my old DV89 to be honest - I'm not saying there isn't one, only that I might just be trying to convince myself that I do see a slight improvement in pic quality - note I'm not the most sensitive of blokes though (just ask Mrs Smiffy). As Rob says, the audio is *definitely* better and by a very long way. In my setup the Arcam outputs a progressive component signal which my scaler frame rate converts and ramps up to the resolution of my Panny. Will try running it in directly if I have an hour to play over the w/e.

Dan

9. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the post Dan. I think you might be right that theres not a lot in it with the picture, especially on a 46" TV. Maybe if i had a 100" screen with a projector it might be more obvious. I'll probably skip the upgrade and save my pennies for when the HD-DVD/Blu Ray players come out :)

10. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +592
    How have you got the audio side of it connected?

11. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both coax digital out to coax in (via the iScan) and 6x analogue out to my amp's EXT input. For ease of use, the amp defaults to receive the digital audio of whatever the scaler is sending to the screen, which is fine for when I'm not around but when I am I swap it over so that the Arcam is doing the DD or DTS decoding. Which sounds fab! :thumbsup: This w.e. I will watch Shaun of the Dead (for the 8th time) to see if I can see any pic improvement.

Dan.

12. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +592
    So when you say the audio from the 27A is better than the 89 you're talking about using the analogue outs right?

The reason I ask is I thought I heard a big improvement using the digital out on my 27A when I upgraded from a Denon 2900 also using digital out. The more I think about it the more I think it must have been my mind playing tricks on me as I can't see how an improvement could be that great when the dacs in my processor were doing all the work. I was wondering if you had found the same thing but I guess not.

13. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I can hear an improvement in the digital audio out 27a vs DV89, but there is a far greater improvement in the analogue outs. While the former might just be me wanting to hear an improvement, the latter is so blindingly obvious it has to be real! When I upgraded my first DVD player (from a Sony 725 to an Arcam DV88) the digital audio out improved enormously, despite the fact I hadn't changed my amp nor speakers. I dunno how this can be so either but I'm sure there are many here that could explain (or tell us both we're hearing things)...

Dan

14. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +592
    Thanks for that Dan. Maybe I didn't imagine the improvement then!

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

15. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Timmy / Dan

My comment above about the superior sound of the 27a over the 88+ related to coaxial digital to an AV8. I don't think the difference is subtle. The transport makes a difference just as it does with a CD player - it may just be that it has lower jitter or there may be other reasons beyond my limited technical knowledge. For CD the 27a is still nowhere near as good a transport (again digital out) as something like a MF XRay (original 99 vintage) or a Meridian 500 but it is better than an 88+ and a million miles away from the Pio 737 I had a few years back in terms of the level of detail dragged off the disc and the frequency extremes.

So you are not going mad.
    Rob

PS Dan - I am driving my wife mad now cause I wish I had not sold the 27a........only did so to appease my guilt at buying the Shanling and should have been more selfish :devil:

16. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Rob,

There's room for a little bit of selfishness in every relationship I reckon, especially when it comes to Arcam products! If it makes you feel any better then I definitely love the 27a as much as you miss it, she has gone to a very loving home believe me. And I'm listening to more music than I'm watching TV these days which has to be a good thing, not-killing-braincells wise.

I never did try runing it directly into my screen last weekend 'cos it was my birthday and my parents came over to stay. Will experiment this weekend instead.

Dan

PS: good luck with the auction! ;)

17. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't know if you made a decision, but I have a DV88 Plus and a Samsung DLP monitor. I upgraded to the SiI deinterlacer and it is a great improvement to do. I get a terrific picture on my setup.