• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Shy HD/SonyAmp/Sony Projector

Mark69s

Standard Member
Hi,

First of all this is my first thread, so take it easy on me...

I have just upgraded to Sky HD and have been having some difficulties, I hope someone can assist and I will try to explain if i can.

My set up is as follows;
Sky HD (Livingroom)
Sony 333 amp (Livingroom)
Sony HS10 Projector (Livingroom)
Sony Bravia Flat screen (Livingroom)
Sony CRT (Bedroom)
Sky TV Link (Bedroom)

1 - Since having the Sky HD installed I have noticed a buzzing noise coming from the speaker system, the Sky was connected via scart, but i noticed when i removed the audio leads from the amp the buzzing stopped, so by connecting an optical lead this seems to of stopped it, is there a better way to make the connection ?

2 - Whilst i don't get the full HD experience from my projector i am wondering if the HDMI-DVI connection would give me a better picture than the current Component connections would ?

3 - The Secondary TV in my living room is not as yet connected via HDMI, just the ariel leads, this too is causing a buzzing noise ? Why is this and would a HDMI connection stop this ?

4 - The bedroom TV Has TV Link connected via the ariel lead, again the buzzing is present, if i run HDMI along side the ariel lead will this work ok ?

5 - Does HDMI carry sound as well as picture ?

I hope this makes sense and someone out there can assist me

Thanks in advance,

Mark :thumbsup:

custard10

Prominent Member
Hi,

First of all this is my first thread, so take it easy on me...

I have just upgraded to Sky HD and have been having some difficulties, I hope someone can assist and I will try to explain if i can.

My set up is as follows;
Sky HD (Livingroom)
Sony 333 amp (Livingroom)
Sony HS10 Projector (Livingroom)
Sony Bravia Flat screen (Livingroom)
Sony CRT (Bedroom)
Sky TV Link (Bedroom)

1 - Since having the Sky HD installed I have noticed a buzzing noise coming from the speaker system, the Sky was connected via scart, but i noticed when i removed the audio leads from the amp the buzzing stopped, so by connecting an optical lead this seems to of stopped it, is there a better way to make the connection ?
the best connection for sky is optical/coaxial so keep it as is.

2 - Whilst i don't get the full HD experience from my projector i am wondering if the HDMI-DVI connection would give me a better picture than the current Component connections would ?
there is less chance of artifacts occurring with a digital connection as opposed to analogue component so if you have some interference with the component connection then you will see an improvement with hdmi-dvi. make sure that the projector can handle hdcp though if you go down this route.

3 - The Secondary TV in my living room is not as yet connected via HDMI, just the ariel leads, this too is causing a buzzing noise ? Why is this and would a HDMI connection stop this ?
the analogue aerial(rf) connection is the worst to use so yes you will see a large improvement with hdmi.

4 - The bedroom TV Has TV Link connected via the ariel lead, again the buzzing is present, if i run HDMI along side the ariel lead will this work ok ?
hdmi leads dont work very well over 15m so you will most likely need a hdmi repeater or you will need to to cat5/cat6 wiring.
5 - Does HDMI carry sound as well as picture ?
hdmi does carry sound but unfortunately the skybox only sends 2 channel audio through hdmi. so if you are linking to a receiver/amp then its best to use optical/coaxial which can send 5.1 from the skybox.

I hope this makes sense and someone out there can assist me

Thanks in advance,

Mark :thumbsup:

Mark69s

Standard Member
Thanks for the swifty reply, hopefully i can get the matter sorted,
Will i need to run both the hdmi along side the coax for the tv link to work ? and will there still be sound issues with both connections being in together ?

Another quick question on Projectors, do you know which are 3D ready, are there specific types ? Am interested in Sony if you know of one ?
Let me know, Thanks again......Mark

custard10

Prominent Member
you will still need to run rf coaxial for the tv link to work but you dont need to actually connect it to the recipient tv. you just need to run the coaxial to the sender in the bedroom.
even if you did connect up the rf to the tv in bedroom you would view through the hdmi not rf so no you should not have sound issues even then.

i'm abit behind on 3d tech so cant answer on that point. hopefully one of the knowledgable members here will answer that question for you.

Mark69s

Standard Member
Thanks, Thats really helpful........

So on to the knowledge of another member, can anyone assist on the 3D tech ????????????

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
What do you mean by 3D projector? If for gaming then there are quite a few out there. If for films and Sky TV then no not yet.

Mark69s

Standard Member
Steve,
Sorry i mean for Sky and Movies ? Are the current gaming projectors not suitable ? If this is the case any idea when the tech will be available ?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom