SHY HD and US Sony KDLV40XBR1 -- Sinking Feeling...

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mc1000000, Aug 5, 2006.

1. mc1000000

mc1000000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am trying to hook up a Sony Bravia KDLV40XBR1 (purchased in the US) to a new Sky HD box, and can't get it to work in HD mode.

OK, by now I have started to realize all the HDTV Ready stickers and specs that assure 720p, 1080i, blah, blah, blah don't really mention the difference in 60Hz (1080i60 and 720p60) and the UK rates (1080i50 and 720p50)..... so I fear the worst...

Unless someone really bright can tell me something magic to do....

Otherwise, I am now wondering about conversion boxes.

Any ideas?

2. mc1000000

mc1000000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Follow-Up Question: Is there a box that will do a conversion between UK HD standards to US HD Standards? I have seen many converters on the net, but I have not found any that do HD....

Help... I have a really nice Sony 40" going to waste!!!

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I would have thought that the Sony should be able to accept both 720p/50 and 720p/60 etc, signals, if the UK model is HD Ready then by defintion it would. Its probably something very simple. What have you currently got the Colour System menu setting on the Bravia set to?

BTW this should really be in the Sky HD or LCD section.

4. mc1000000

mc1000000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I looked on the menu and did not find any options to change the color system. I think the trouble here is that it is not the UK model... it's the US model.

I have done several searches for the Sony KDLV40XBR1 and have not found any positive references to the supported Hz... just mentions of being HD ready, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.... Even the manual doesn't really say, except in the PC Input section it references only having the ability to to 60hz vertical refresh rate for teh VGA PC Input. It does say "television system" is "American TV standard" -- so I guess that implies 60 for everything....

If that's the case, I'm not aware of any way to make the SKY HD box do 60hz, so its not looking good unless there is some way to convert....

Sorry about posting in the wrong section, BTW. By the time I realized it was too late. I do plan to do a specific Sony KDLV40XBR1 50 or 60hz post in the LCD section today.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I surprised there's not a colour system option where you can select between NTSC, PAL, Auto etc. which could be used to change it over from a 60Hz TV to 50Hz. Have you checked the manual?

You could always try and perform a new install on the TV where you'd need to enter the Country, Language etc. but I'm not sure what you'd need to do for this.

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I've had a look at the manual now as well as the various Sony sites and I think you may well be stuffed on this one I'm afraid to say.

7. mc1000000

mc1000000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hence the "sinking feeling...."

Any thoughts about converters? I have not seen on that will do HD, but considering how many s-video and composite scan converters there are out there (in fact, i have one), it doen't seem like an unreasonable thing to look for... I don't even know if the quality would be that good. I can run s-video out of the sky HD box, but that seems like a waste of $$$, so I would be hoping some kind of 1080i/50 --> 1080i/60 conversion would still look much better that the standard PAL --> NTSC that I am doing now....

So... anyone seen any HD level scan converters?

Also, thanks for looking into those specs.....

8. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I think there would be little call for a standards converter so - if it exists - it will cost more than the TV.