Shuttle XPC gaming rig

Bushido

Novice Member
Just thought id post here to get some feedback on the rig im thinking of making....

let me know if you think it could be improved...

Shuttle XPC SX38P2 Pro Black Barebones System Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad
XFX GeForce 8800 GTX Extreme 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 LGA775 'Yorkfield' 2.66GHz 12MB-cache (1333FSB)
Asus DRW-2014L1T 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter

Going to stick a 320GB drive in it for Windows etc as have a 750GB NAS for storing stuff on. May put my old 120GB drive in for pagefile and caching at some point as well.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Lots of info on Sudhian forum too regarding XPC gaming setups (http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/viewforum/4/).

My Shuttle G6 is for HTPC & Gaming but went for the smaller G5 which still takes an 8800GT.

Mine has 4GB OCZ 6400 RAM, E8400 C2D clocked at 3.6, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 drives, Blu-ray drive, Inno3D 8800GT 512MB, SatHD TV card & all runs off a 300w mini PSU.

Only game that pushes my system at my HDTV resolution of 1366x768 is Crysis and I get around 25-35fps with High Quality setting (No AA, Vista64 DX10)

The one your picking is the larger P2 design but will give you more expansion possibilities as a gaming machine (P2 size was still too big for my requirements).

rokin

Standard Member
Yeah the Sudhian forums were a pretty good resource when I was putting together a Shuttle for gaming, especially when figuring out what graphics cards would fit.

Also I don't know if it'll bother you but you might want to think about noise too, mine sounded like a rocket and eventually I had to go for a tower. Other than that it looks good :)

Bushido

Novice Member
Thanks both...have found lots of info on Sudhian.

Have ordered everything now so just go to wait for delivery and ill build it Friday night. I bought Vista 64bit so lets see how it runs!

Bushido

Novice Member
hmmm just been readin that the RAM can be difficult to fit into the case...ah well, Custom PC says it can go so try I will.

Any pointers on getting the CPU to about 3 - 3.1Ghz reliable?

ta

psikey

Distinguished Member
After my OC efforts I've got my system running stable for months with no heat build-up.

Recently updated my 8800GT Vista 64 drivers and with that slightly OC'ed and the E8400 @ 3.6GHz I'm getting 13,295 3DMark06 which is amazing for my tiny Shuttle G6 system

Main Test Results:

8800GT from 600/900 to 650/950 and with the E8400 OC to 3.6GHz gives

3DMark Score 13,295 3DMarks

SM 2.0 Score 5,982 Marks

SM 3.0 Score 5,917 Marks

CPU Score 3,320 Marks

I could push the CPU & GPU further but don't need the extra power & don't want heat to rise too much.

Can't say what to do with a P2 but I just went from default 333mHz to 400mHz fsb to go from stock 3GHz on the E8400 to 3.6GHz which also made the PC6400 RAM run at ideal 800MHz clock speed.

My rig:

Everythings tight in a Shuttle!!!, especially the G5/6's

Bushido

Novice Member
thanks...ill download 3d mark and see what score I get.

where did you get that front temp panel for your xpc, its really nice?

psikey

Distinguished Member
thanks...ill download 3d mark and see what score I get.

where did you get that front temp panel for your xpc, its really nice?
Its an optional accessory for the G5/G6 range. Comes with built-in infra-red reciever & remote for HTPC use.

Got mine from Komplett but not cheap at around £65. Don't think the P2 series has such an accessory :(

Bushido

Novice Member
Thanks anyway..think im going to get a card reader to round things off.

Well the machine arrived yesterday and I built all I could...She looks very very nice (will show pics later). All I have to do now is plug in some HDD's and install Vista. The temps (according to the BIOS) were in the 50-56c range on idle (I bought the G0 Q6600 instead) which made me slightly uncomfortable as its top range is 71c.

I reseated the CPU & ICE and put some more MX-2 on it and it didn't changed.

So I changed round the ICE fans so the big 90mm is sucking in air from outside the case as opposed to pushing it out. It has reduced the temp by about 10c and it is also now much quieter having the fans run about 1500rpm.

The 8800GTX fitted nicely although the fan is almost opposite the exit air of the ICE...not easy but at least it extracts out of the PCI-e slot anyway so no real hassle.

I had to "modify" the Reaper RAM. Custom PC's website said that it just fitted...absolute rubbish...it could not fit even if you tried. Luckily the copper cooling bar on top of the RAM comes off (whats the point anyway!) and it now fits nicely.

Thats it for now...will update later.

Note of point - If you want a very quiet PC this is not for you...when the fans kick in it gets very loud!

psikey

Distinguished Member
Note of point - If you want a very quiet PC this is not for you...when the fans kick in it gets very loud!
Which is also what put me off. I know my little system can only take a single slot 8800GT* class card but the ICE cooler runs silent with only the PSU fan being audible for HTPC use (Blu-ray, mkv files etc.). Even playing Crysis at High Quality the 8800GT fan is hardly noticeable. (being louder than my 40GB PS3 and far less noisy than an xbox360).

Also using the smaller die size of the 8800GT range & the 45um dia on the E8400 C2D CPU makes it all run cool. The CPU never shows more than 50C & the GPU flat out hovers under 70C.

*Some have done case mods on the G5/6 series and fitted an 8800GTX class card!!

Look forward to seeing your 3DMark06 scores.

I have the Shuttle card reader in mine (never used it really) to "complete" the box but may end up taking it out as it takes the space of the 2nd hard drive bay & I may fit an additional 1TB drive internally.

Bushido

Novice Member
ok I got 11557 with everything at stock...how does that compare?

So thats the CPU @ 2.4ghz and the 8800GTX with the 4GB RAM.

I think I need to understand overclocking a bit better before I start to up the speeds...

psikey

Distinguished Member
ok I got 11557 with everything at stock...how does that compare?

So thats the CPU @ 2.4ghz and the 8800GTX with the 4GB RAM.

I think I need to understand overclocking a bit better before I start to up the speeds...
Think I got in the 12,000's without OC, and as above, 13,295 at 3.6GHz & slight OC on the GPU.

With 1,066 RAM you should be able to set your P2 to a 533fsb speed without having any issues with RAM or the motherboard but I've no experience with the QUAD CPU's.

Altering the FSB is fine so long as your components are up to running faster whick they should be.

Bushido

Novice Member
I tried to run the FSB at 300 last night and it fell over and would not boot. I left all the settings on auto bar the FSB.

Any docs on how to overclock the system to get the 3.2ghz I know it can give me!!?

psikey

Distinguished Member
I tried to run the FSB at 300 last night and it fell over and would not boot. I left all the settings on auto bar the FSB.

Any docs on how to overclock the system to get the 3.2ghz I know it can give me!!?
Think the Sudhian forum is your best bet for OC settings. I've only ever OC this machine with FSB increase & the NVideo software to OC the GPU.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom