1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shuttle XPC- Anyone Got 1?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dek1965, Nov 24, 2003.

1. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi,
    i am thinking about buying a shuttle xpc (probably the 45g)
    just wondering if anyone has 1, and what they think of it?, and how noisy it is? (will be used as a hcpc)

cheers

2. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dek

I have the Shuttle XPC SB51G. I use it in the lounge as a HTPC. When I first bought it I was disappointed by the excessive noise of the fans. However, I have replaced the noisy power supply fan and replaced the ICE fan with a slower Evercool fan fitted with a Zalman fanmate to reduce the speed to 1400rpm. The P4 temp never exceeds 48 deg. C.

I have two segate HDD installed internally and an external seagate HDD in a firewire enclosure. The noisiest component is the silenced Pioneer 106 DVD rom which I only use when backing up DVDs to the hard drive. In operation, ie playing back from the HDDs, the noisiest components are the HDDs themselves which you can only hear if the room is totally silent. I am very happy with my silenced shuttle.

If you are looking for advice on silencing/modfying Shuttles visit:

http://forums.sudhian.com/

Regards

Tony M

3. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks

4. maxb_1236

maxb_1236

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got a 45G, and although I didnt buy it with the intention of using it for HCPC, but since then I've started setting up my first av set up and I'm going to incorporate it in that. Its fairly quiet - thre are only 2 fans in the system (plus in my case the one on my gfx card) as the northbridge just has a big heatsink instead of a fan. The main fan is controlled by bios and only comes on when a certain cpu temp is exceeded. When it does its a bit noisy but nothing too bad and usually tuns back off soon after turning on. I guess the ICE heatpipe thingy has something to do with this. The psu fan in on all the time though, and is quiet by normal standards, but i've never seen (or heard) a dedicated hcpc in action so I cant say if its loud or quiet by their standards.

In general I've been very happy with it - the on board sound is high quality, and the spdif in and out should prove useful when I hook it up to the rest of my av stuff.

Hope this helps

Max