1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shuttle or other cube system fo htpc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nathsea, May 18, 2005.

1. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi

Do any of you use a shuttle or another type of small form factor pc ie aopen cube etc, for your htpc. If so how do you find it, do you use the onboard graphics, are they compatible with mce 2005, most importantly are they quiet?

Many Thanks

Nathan

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one as my first HCPC. The problem is that it has only one PCI slot. I soon found that wasn't enough.

If you want a PC with WAF then the mATX cases are probably a good bet. They will take an AGP card and 3 PCI cards. I'm no expert on PCI-E boards so I can't confirm you get the same number of slots.

Another plus for mATX is you can sometimes use a standard ATX PSU so you can get a virtually silent one. With Shuttles etc you are restricted to the supplies you can use.

Dave

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've built one.
    Yes they work fine. Unfortunately they're not quiet as there's a lot of heat to shift out of a small space (even with the (not so) silent PSU upgrade.)
    Is something based around something like the Silverstone LC02 case and a mATX motherboard too big?

4. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a PC set up as a HTPC, but I have both a Shuttle SN41G2 and a Asus Pundit R http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=1&l2=3&l3=0&model=85&modelmenu=1

The Asus is much quieter, and since it uses a P4 which is less likely to die from over heating. Also built in DVI should serve well for video output. The optical drive is also behind a hindge door so looks much better. Only draw back is that the optical output is on the front (so a PCI sound card maybe a better option). Great vale of under £100 for barebones with case + PSU and motherboard. PCMCIA and SD card read as standard as well. Just built another one for a friend's mum last night.

But next time I'm going for a 4U rack and sticking it under the stair cupboard.

5. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I use a Shuttle SN41G2v2, the onboard sound is good via spdif out, I find it quiet and have two large IDE HDD drives and a DVD Rom in there. I upgraded the onboard graphics to the fanless Gigabyte 6600GT, which means I can't use the one and only PCI slot. But I have added a powered usb external hub and have extra stuff connected that way.

6. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you find the PSU?
    I upgraded to one of these but found it unbearable :(

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Really? Mine came with the silentX power supply, and I can't hear it - it sounds loud during start up but once the pc is up and running it is quiet... I think it is supposed to come on and off as needed, but mine stays off all of the time it seems.

8. kojak71

kojak71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My Soltek QBIC by default is noisy. However a poke around in the BIOS, reveals a speedfan option which throttles back the CPU fan, and keeps it there as long as the CPU doesn't exceed a certain temperature threshold.

Now the PC starts off noisy, but once it get's past the BIOS, the noise drops off greatly. Shuttle PC probably has this feature as well, so it's worth investigating.