Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Shuttle - Noisy

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by petrolhead, Mar 16, 2003.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
  2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I can only speak from my own experience but I have two Shuttle PCs and they are fantastic :rotfl:

I have the older SS51G Intel version which I use as my everday machine which is on for at least 8 hours-a-day. It is running a P4 2.6GHz, 1GB RAM, Maxtor 120GB, FLoppy & Sony DVD-RW plus a Matrox G550 passively cooled AGP video card running two Sony 21" monitors. I did replace the 80mm exhaust fan for a quieter version but under normal working conditions you'd be hard pushed to know that it's on. Expecially when I compare it to my old AMD Athlon Tower PC which sounded like it was about to take-off what with all the chassis fans installed.

I have also just bought an SB51G, also Intel based, as the basis for my new HTPC. Again I replaced the exhaust fan with the same model used in my other shuttle and again noise levels are fine. This machine has a 9700 video card with heatsink/fan which makes a higher pitched noise which can be heard over the other fans. But the loudest thing in this machine is the Pioneer slotload DVD drive.

From my experience of AMD based systems and the heat they can generate I am guessing that the AMD based Shuttle machines runs the fans faster and therefore make more noise.

I did change over to AMD myself when Intel released the PIII cpus's but have since moved back to Intel when they started to price their P4 chips better.

Cheers, Lee

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Thanks for that.

Nice to hear comments from actual users.

The exhast fan, you rplaced this. Is the new one much quieter and what make is it?

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The fan I have just taken out of my SB51G was a Sunon model #KD1208PTB1 rated at 2.6w @ 12v.

Both of my machines are currently running Evercool low noise fans model #EC8025M12SA rated at 1.32w @ 12v.

And yes they are a lot quieter and have not effected the running temperatures much.

The BIOS on the Shuttle systems runs the fan at roughly 50% speed most of the time unless it senses that the temperature has risen above a certain point then it runs at full speed. I have set the threshold temperature to 60c on both machines - I know you are probably thinking that's high - but it's well within the spec of the chip and the fan has never run at full speed.

I am not one ofr constantly monitoring the temperature of my system. Basically it has been stable for many months now and has run faultlessly throughtout.

Hope that helps, Lee

5. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi lunatic

Very intersted in your review of the SB51G. I'm considering this for my lounge HTPC. Regarding the noisy Pioneer DVD, if its the 106S there is a utility on Pioneer's European site, I think it includes the no. 103 in the name, that allows you to select quiet mode. If you are able to use this utility it will silence your player.

Epithet

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Epithet,

Thanks for that...I'll download it later and give it a go.

As for using the SB51G as a HTPC I am well pleased with it so far - apart from the noisey DVD which is hopefully about to be solved.

The only other item I'm looking at changing is moving the optical SP/DIF output connector from the front of the unit to the rear but that's for purely cosmetic reasons.

Cheers, Lee

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
  8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It seems that the Pioneer DVD utility only works on the newer 106s drive...mine is an older 106s :(

Any other ideas ? or is it a case of looking for a 106s - I would prefer to keep the slot load style.

Cheers, Lee

9. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lunatic

How old is you 106? I have a 12 month old 116 and the utility works fine. It really is an excellent utility if you can get it to work - it totally silences the screamming Pioneer.

Have you checked that your 106s is using the latest firmware? - check for the latest on the Pioneer website.

Can anyone else on this forum help out? Can anybody confirm whether the utility works on the 106S?

If others can confirm that the utility works on the 106S then I would recommend that you try to get one but they do appear to be in short supply.

Good luck

Epithet.

10. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry Epithet...typo I'm affraid :D

It's a 105s I have not a 106s :suicide: hence the problem

I think www.scan.co.uk have them in stock allthough I'm not a big fan of theirs.

Cheers, Lee

11. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Shuttle SB51 is not that noisy unless it gets hot and then the fan runs faster and then obviously becomes noiser, also if the BIOS settings are wrong it will always run in high speed high noise mode, I wonder if Toms hardware realized this?

12. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a LG CD-RW drive and it's quieter than most drives I have used, so a LG DVD-ROM drive may be worth considering. I think the current models can be made region-free. My DVD-ROM drive is a Lite-On which runs quietly at low speeds but pretty loud at full speed, so it's good for DVD-Video replay (automaticcaly sets itself to 1x).

I use Nero Drivespeed to slow down my drives to 24x or 20x which cuts down the noise considerably.