1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shuttle cases?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Sinzer, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Anyone here use a Shuttle case?

I am interested in their new gen of XPC cases/mobos and was wondering if any gamers here have one or have used one?

I heard there were problems with previous ones in terms of fan noise and heat.

I am little unsure of their suitability for gaming as I cannot see how that little box with only a 200w PSU can power an XP chip, combined with a high end graphics card and the usual gubbins.

I would be looking at buying the Nforce 2 version and sticking in my Athlon 2200, Geforce 4 Ti 4400, CD-R, 80Gb HD, 512 2700 DDR RAM. Will most likely get a Audigy 2 external Soundcard. Will be upgrading to an ATi 9800 Pro early next year.

Any advice?

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    They're fine from what I've read.

They're designed around a uATX MB anyway,so don't need much juice.

My Tiny PC has a uATX MB with a XP 2000+,DDR etc and a Saphire 9800NP and runs dandy with a 200 Watt PSU,just like the Shuttle.

The AMD 64 bit Shuttle has/needs a more powerfull PSU though.

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi Sinzer,

I had a Shuttle about a year ago. Mine was a P4 machine with a 2.2 Ghz chip, a Radeon 9700, 120 gb HD, DVD drive and all was fine. The fan noise is not excessive, but in standard for they are not silent. There are some useful forums around dedicated to Shuttl PC's. I believe you can replace most of not all fans inside it, and/or do a 7v mod for ultra quiet gaming.

The cases are very well designed, and even though small, they are very easy to work on. If I needed a small PC again, I would buy one without hesitation.

Cheers

Rob

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I had one of the early ones SK41 for the AMD proc with HDD, CD-RW, Floppy and GeForce card and it never missed a beat. My daughter uses it for Uni and plays DVDs, Music and the odd round of Quake III. Not silent but not loud by any means and a top value buy. :smashin:

5. wolfeh

wolfeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,
    Im currently using a shuttle sb51g. Inside I have a p4 2.53, 512 pc 2700 ddr, gf3, sb audigy, a 40gig and a 80gig hdd, and a dvd-rw.

Ive never had a problem with this setup, BUT i did have a 9700p for a few weeks till it over heated and died :( (it died in the middle of the massive heatwave this year) and im still waiting for a replacement 4months later :(

As for noise, its ok, a LOT quieter than my old amd 1.4 system, and more stable. The main source of noise in the older model shuttles is the psu fan, but apparently its easy to self mod with a silent fan... I'm just not brave enough yet ;)

Power supply issues have never been a problem, even when i was using my 9700pro.

And after all that, heres the point you realy want to know ;)
    Its great for gaming, ive never had a problem (apart from 9700p thing) I play all my games @ 1280*1024 with all the options up on high no problem (no fsaa though)

Hope this helps

wolfeh

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'd recommend them. I've got the SB75G2 with P4/3.0G, Radeon 9800XT, 1 gig of mem, 2x Hitachi SATA discs, Plextor 8 speed DVD writer.

I replaced the PSU fan for a quieter one and the thing is near slient now. No issues over power or heat. Check out www.hexus.net or www.sfftech.com

Regards,
    Neil.

7. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    NeilMcRae

Have you sourced compatible media in order to utilise the x8?

BTW,

Thats a nice rig you have.

Regards,

GJC

8. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    ive got a shuttle, the nforce 2 ultra variety with barton 3200 chip in it, they are very nice looking systems.

however i did have 2 faulty shuttles that went faulty after upping the fsb on a barton xp2500 chip from 333 to 400.

now running at normal speeds using an xp3200 chip.

9. wolfeh

wolfeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, NeilMcRae
    Sorry but I'm lazy and would like to know how easy it was to change the psu fan?
    Is there any cutting and soldering required?

wolfeh

10. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if youre lazy you can get away without soldering if your new fan comes with wires already attached, just cut off the old fan wires leaving room to strip them back and then twist the new ones to them, insualting with tape.
    Although some people will find soldering new wires to old terminals just as easy.

11. wolfeh

wolfeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the info, I think I might look into replacing the psu fan in the near future :)