Shutdown Time

daviduk

Hi
Anyone have any ideas as to why my computer takes almost 5 mins to shutdown completley.
Click Start ,then click Turn off Computer, hour glsss apears then some 4/5 mins later the box to turn the computor off apears ,click this and shutdown is almost immediate,
The computer is realy only used for the internet and home photos , i dont download anything .
The computer is an " ESYSTEM ",with a Philips screen bought from PC World About 9 months, Any Ideas Please

Simba

Distinguished Member
it could depend on a few things. is there alot of applications running in the background? how much memory do you have? if your system has a large paging file and not a lot of memory (depends on your OS on the requirements for that) then it might be set to delete this at shutdown which is what might be taking its time. i cant remember exactly where to turn this off but do a google search and try that.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I suspect one of your programs running is the cause

If you're on XP there are registry hacks to speed up shut down time and for XP to handle hung programs differently

bjd

Distinguished Member
I suspect one of your programs running is the cause

If you're on XP there are registry hacks to speed up shut down time and for XP to handle hung programs differently
Three things I can think of, if it's XP:

It could be a hung app. causing a shutdown delay, in which case, download auotend.zip:

http://aumha.org/downloads/autoend.zip

unzip, and merge autoend.reg into the registry.

If you have an nVidia card, disable the Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service.

User profiles may not be disconnecting p[roperly. If so, download and install UPHClean from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

It could be any combination of the above, or none of the above........such is Windows :)

Brian

Singh400

Distinguished Member
it could depend on a few things. is there alot of applications running in the background? how much memory do you have? if your system has a large paging file and not a lot of memory (depends on your OS on the requirements for that) then it might be set to delete this at shutdown which is what might be taking its time. i cant remember exactly where to turn this off but do a google search and try that.
Yeah that was my first thought too. Sounds like you have enabled the registry to clear the page file at shutdown.

daviduk

Thanks ,
I have something to go on now ,although not quite how i find the registry ,so ill search for it .
Dave.

chief barker

Distinguished Member
Thanks ,
I have something to go on now ,although not quite how i find the registry ,so ill search for it .
Dave.

Start,Run, then type regedit.

Be sure to back up the registry before you make any changes so If you mess up, you can restore it.

In the registry editor screen go to file then export it to your documents, that will back up your registry.

Give this guide a try as it can help a lot in streamlining windows xp, it also includes a section on editing the registry.

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Steven

Senior Moderator
tweakguides xp is good. I would also look at tunexp download. Be sure not to have "delete pagefile at shutdown" enabled, otherwise it will take its time!

Dragy2k

hi
wots your system spec and how many progs do u have running in sys tray.....do u defrag every so often....is ur anti-virus scanning running at certain times...when was last time a clean install of windows was done !

daviduk

Thanks for all your help ,although i understood what has been said ,
actually putting into pratice was anotherthing, so i let my mate read all that was posted and now all is well ,
Cheers Dave.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom