Shure E500s down to £230 at Amazon

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JimBob1971, Apr 20, 2007.

1. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    Not sure if this has been posted, or when it happened, but Amazon are now doing the 500s for £230 if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
    James

2. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm a bit of a nOOb to the who audiophile area but are these really worth this price for in-ear headphones? How much of a difference and would I notice the difference between these and say a £180 Shure headshones or a £100 Shure headphones?

3. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Ahh that's the magic question!

Is there a difference? - Yes!
    Can everyone hear it? - No!

Unfortunately there isn't a pro-rata increase in quality with the increase in price. Like most hi-fi the small increments in quality come in large price increments.

It also depends on what you'll be plugging them into. Some earphones are best when amped and fed via a decent line-out; others are voiced for a simple headphone out and don't improve much even with a good amp.

I wish I could give you a graph showing the percentage improvement in sound as the cost increases but that would still be based on my ears.

£50 will give you a big jump over say standard Ipod buds
    £100-£150 and you'll be reaching the most cost effective peak (imo)
    £500+ will give you better but may not be worth it in terms of cost to some and lost on others.

It's a little like PC's. Take a budget Dell pc versus the fasted gamer Dell pc. The people wo do a little web surfing, emails and Word will be fine with the budget and think you mad if you bought the gamer version - the gamer on the other hand...

Steve

4. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Don't have the E500s but the Shure E4c are absolutely amazing and well worth the £130 I paid at Amazon. Depends on your listening though - I can't imagine paying for the E500 unless I had my entire collection ripped in Apple Lossless although since buying the E4cs I've started doing this and it make a hell of a difference.

5. Celtic Blood

Celtic Blood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No offense, but even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't spend £230 on headphones lol.. there's some cracking deals at under £50 these days.

6. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151

As a millionaire would you buy the cheapest of everything then?

7. spuddler

spuddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi,prob buy cheapist running Wife/GF if nothing else:) ,& flog my old one(you got to get a bit of money back,so you can upgrade something else).

Cheers BOB

8. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Shure E500 and I think they are awesome - the first headphones that are an adequate substitute for speakes

I also had a grado RS1 which I sold because I thought the Shures were better!

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    So much depends on what you want,and how much you're prepared to pay.

If you want £50 performance levels,and are satisfied with that,then fine,but there are far better phones to be had.....just depends as I said,on what cost/performance trade-off you're prepared to make.