Shure E500 vs E530 vs E5

keithlewin

Established Member
Reaction score
I've currently got the E5's. Love the sound (even with my iPod Classic) but find them very uncomfortable so cannot use them for long periods (I fly long haul a lot so this discomfort issue is a big problem to me). So I'm looking to replace them with the E500 or the E530 (both look a lot more comfortable)

But does anyone know the difference between the two? I read on another thread that they were the same - but on Amazon the E500's are over £100 more expensive so I'm guessing there is a difference.

Also, anyone out there gone from the E5's to the E500 or the E530? Was there a difference?

The E500s are identical to the SE530s - the only difference is that they are a different colour! When they launched the SE series to replace the E series, Shure decided there wasn't much they could do to improve the E500s, so they just changed the model number and the packaging. It's safe to buy whichever is the cheapest - although check that you are getting the PTH (Push-to hear) accessory with both when comparing prices.

Oh, the only other difference is that the SE530 comes with Shure's new design of black foam earplug, as opposed to the old yellow design, in the "Fit Kit".

As to sound quality, I've never listened to the E5, but I own a set of E500s, and they are easily the best headphone I've heard. I did have a set of E3s, but the E500s blow them out of the water - they give a much fuller sound. Bear in mind, though, that if comfort is the problem with your E5s, the E500 uses exactly the same earplugs, so is unlikely to feel much better in the ear.

The "in ear" bit is okay, it's the rest of the fitment that you seem to have to lock into the rest of your ear (on the E5 it's a squarish thingy - something they appear to have rounded off with the look of the E500/530). The sound is great though - i bought a pair of Bose Q3's to help with the long haul listening - but they don't even come close.

Don't get completely new headphones - get yourself a pair of custom-moulded earpieces to fit on them. A colleague at work has just had this done and is very impressed. Not as expensive as you might think (or so I thought, anyway). Take a look at http://www.enhancedlistening.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=266&CAT_ID=270&P_ID=972

Wow, great advice - thanks. Will get onto them tomorrow. I've done a bit more research too and it appears the 500/530 is actually a step up from the E5's. So being a compulsive obsessive I may even go for the 530's (with PTH) AND get the custom-moulded earpieces. Hey, long time dead eh?:thumbsup:

If you do go the moulded earpiece route, can you post back how you get on with the whole experience?

If you do go the moulded earpiece route, can you post back how you get on with the whole experience?

I would also be interested to find out how you get on. I have has the SE530s for a few months now, and it took me a while to get used to any of the standard fittings. I am getting on fine with them now, and they are excellent, but would be interested to hear if £85 takes them to yet another level.

Interesting to read about the custom impressions.

I have the 500s and so far I'm perfectly happy with the new black foamies. They are extremely comfortable and secure. At first, I was wearing them with the wires looped over my ears, but the wires are so stiff and heavy I was always aware that it was rubbing against me. Now, I just wear them like regular ear buds, and the foamies hold them very securely in my ear, and I don't have that irritating cable running all round my face. (Pus, it doesn't take 10 minutes to get them on any more!). I might just be lucky though.

If you find them comfortable with the stock tips, I'm not really sure what advantage the custom earpieces offer? Even the blurb on the website doesn't say.

Customs are a nice idea i think, but not on a universal IEM. Id only go that route if i could not get a proper seal otherwise id go all out and just get full customs.

Don't mean to Hijack the thread but has any E500/E530 users had any problems with their cables fraying?Its well documented over on headfi and it put me off going for E530's after my E4g died.I went for Westone UM2's ,its a different sound signature so its taking a bit of getting used to.

Don't mean to Hijack the thread but has any E500/E530 users had any problems with their cables fraying?

I've only had mine a few weeks, but just looking at and feeling the cable leads me to expect there will be problems. Why couldn't they use something more flexible?

The only other negative also relates to the cable. As supplied, the cord is extremely short. When I wear them in regular fashion (ie not over the ear) and listen to my portable in my shirt pocket, it just about reaches (but the plug is stupidly big). I think the idea is that you use one of the 2 extensions supplied: one about 9 inches, the other about 9 miles. You end up with a great heavy, clumsy, ugly mess of black plastic jacks and sockets.

It just makes no sense to me. Why didn't they just make the cable nine inches longer in the first place?

Don't mean to Hijack the thread but has any E500/E530 users had any problems with their cables fraying?Its well documented over on headfi and it put me off going for E530's after my E4g died.I went for Westone UM2's ,its a different sound signature so its taking a bit of getting used to.

I've been using my E500s on a pretty much daily basis for about a year now, and there is absolutely no sign of damage to the cables. I do look after them - they live in the storage case when not in use, and I am always careful about coiling the cable, but there doesn't seem to be a problem with wear in normal usage. The lack of flexibilty of the cable is actually an advantage - after a while, the loops of cable that go behind your ears cause the cable to settle in that shape, so there is no constant bending and unbending in that area.

I've made the appointment for the ear impressions next Thursday (earliest I could get).

The price for the impression is £25 PER EAR plus VAT

Then it's £60 for the mould/earpiece itself (+VAT) so it's going to cost around £130 all up, so I hope it makes a big difference!

I ordered the SE530PTH's yesterday for £240 through Amazon (good price I thought).

I'll keep the thread updated with how I get on.

Haven't had any cable issues with the E5's by the way. But I find them a tangled pain to put on!

£370 for a pair of IEMs, when some owners prefer the E5 anyway. Yikes!

Why didn't you wait and see how comfortable you find the stock SE530s before getting the custom fits? I find they are extremely comfortable and secure, either over the ear or conventionally, not least due to the new, shaped black foamies. In fact, couldn't you just have tried a pair of them on the E5s for the sake of a tenner?

I've made the appointment for the ear impressions next Thursday (earliest I could get).

The price for the impression is £25 PER EAR plus VAT

Then it's £60 for the mould/earpiece itself (+VAT) so it's going to cost around £130 all up, so I hope it makes a big difference!

I ordered the SE530PTH's yesterday for £240 through Amazon (good price I thought).

I'll keep the thread updated with how I get on.

Haven't had any cable issues with the E5's by the way. But I find them a tangled pain to put on!

ACS do custom sleeves for £88 which I believe includes the cost of the impressions.

Wherever you get them done though make sure they provide a good seal, if not good it ruins any semblance of bass.

You can download a couple of test mp3 tracks to test this, which I found really helpful when I had my customs made up. If you do pay £130 for the sleeves don't accept a bad fit, the difference between a good seal and a bad one makes a noticeable change in the sound quality.

As for the process here's a post I made about this earlier.

PS I don't work for ACS and am not on commission :rolleyes:

Steve

All good advice, thanks. I'll try the 530's before I go for the impressions and make a decision.

Anyone got any ideas on how much I should sell the E5's for? I've looked in the classifieds and can't see any to get a fix?

Wow! The result IS truly amazing. Anyone out there even thinking about it, stop thinking, just do it. I went the ACS route through Specsavers Hearing center (the Harley Street center quoted double the price - £25 per ear and a 3 week waiting list) and it was quick and painless. I had to wait the full 20 days for my moulds, but worth every second of the wait and every penny I paid. The sound is so much fuller and richer. It seems to fill your head and actually happen IN your head rather than being transported. I can honestly say it's the best I've ever heard from headphones of any kind.

It's a weird experience at first. The molds go so deep into your ears and the feeling is a little too "full", but you get used to it. Having to use an ear "lubricant" is strange but very necessary (as I found out once when I forgot to use it). So it's a very "involving" process but so rewarding. The drawback is you can't let people try it themselves - the molds are far too personal to even think of it.

This is where the PTH facility of the E530's is so good. If you're on a plane and you have to talk to a steward, you can't remove the molds easily and quickly - but the push of a button allows you to communicate easily without removing the earpieces.

I'm so thrilled with these. Get the 530's. Get the impressions and enjoy like you've never experienced before.:clap:

Just bought some of the 530PTH's from advancedmp3players.co.uk with a 5% off voucher (Code : AMP3IP) and 4% Quidco!

Normal Price : £234
Total with 5% : £223
With 4% Quidco : £214

Nice.

Last edited:
I have Shure E4G's and got the Westone UM2's before the new range came out. I do wonder about the E530's

From reading it seems Shure's are flaky when it comes to having to get the right fit. Am I right in thinking custom moulds for universal IEMs are detachable? Or not?

I must say that my music experience has changed since getting these this week. They sound amazing compared to my Goldring GX200's; and I thought they were good!

Listened to Bob Marley - Legend yesterday (mp3@320kbps) and I was blown away.

I think the fit takes a little getting used to as the Goldrings have the Comply tips which get "dirty" and break after a while but create a very good fit. Although the 530's definately have a better isolation than the Comply's.

I am using the first set of tips that come with the 530's and they fit just fine...although having the wires over the top of the ear is taking some getting used to as when the cable hangs down the back it makes moving your head side to side pull on the cable. This clearly is not good in the long term so have to start wearing them round the front.

Anyone got any suggestions on this?

I've tried the black olives but still stick with the small grey silicone ones, comfy, easy to take in & out & great isolation for my ears (don't get as grubby as the foams can).

These are so good it highlighted the poor sound quality of my iPod Nano and I'm now using my SE W960i Walkman phone as the SQ is so much better (using 256-320kbps mp3's).

Waiting to see what new Nano/iPod offer if they come out in September. Really looking for a 32GB flash player now since moving from 128kbps to 320kbps mp3's.

Waiting to see what new Nano/iPod offer if they come out in September. Really looking for a 32GB flash player now since moving from 128kbps to 320kbps mp3's.

From all the descriptions I read about the sound signature of these earphones, I think the iAudio 7 or D2 will make a great match. (For 32GB flash it would have to be D2.)

I bought a Creative Zen 16GB with a seperate 16GB SD Card.

Although now reading the reviews a tad more I wish Id bought the Cowon iAudio 7 as better music quality and 50 hours or play!

The Zen doesn't support FLAC or OGG files which is a bummer...but then again the Zen suits me at the mo so for £128 - 32GB flash player Im a happy chap.

From all the descriptions I read about the sound signature of these earphones, I think the iAudio 7 or D2 will make a great match. (For 32GB flash it would have to be D2.)

Problem is I make heavy use of Star Ratings with Autoplaylists and only non-ipod mp3 devices I'm aware of that supports ratings & autoplaylists other than iPods is the Zen (with 2-way sync to the PC anyway).

Nearly gone for the Zen but seeing as the sound from my W960i Walkman phone is nearly as good as a Walkman A828 I tried (but no star ratings) I'm waiting to see if iPod bring something special out in the coming months.

My ideal next player needs to have following:

• 32GB+ flash
  • Star Ratings (2-way sync)
  • Autoplaylists (2-way & real time like iPod)
  • Excellent sound quality
  • No larger than the iPod Nano/a828/Zen
  • Ideally, proper keys (not touch screen)
  • 25hrs + battery life
  • BT AD2P support for use with my SE DS980 headset (which also sounds great) when exercising (not risking my Shures!).
Video is secondary for me.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom