1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shuffling genre/ playlists on iPod or NW-HD3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Cheenis, Jan 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Cheenis

Cheenis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to shuffle randomly through a genre or playlist?

Say I have Genre 'A' containing Album 1 to 5 I would like to choose genre 'A' and hit shuffle. I would expect this to randomly shuffle between albums 1 to 5 - NOT pick an album at random, then shuffle through all the songs on that album before randomly selecting the second album to shuffle through. Is this possible on an iPod?

If you can only do this using a playlist or something like that, then this is fine since I can set up my genre's as playlists; i.e., if the functionality is not set directly, is there a way around it so that you can do it?

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Many thanks!

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I've never come across this need before, but I'll have a play with both.

3. Cheenis

Cheenis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks extremelydodgy!

I have since taken my NW-HD1 back since it doesn't do it. I've bought a 40Gb ipod and it works beautifully. I just hope that one day they will finally sort out the software so it can do gapless .mp3 for mix CD's.

It's a big shame, I really liked the NW-HD1 but it just doesn't function as I would like it. I thought this was the whole point of these HD players!

Cheers!

4. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I think you can do gapless can't you? It's an option under ...preference..burninging in itunes.

Haven't used it myself but I'm sure that's what you're after.

5. Cheenis

Cheenis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only way you can do gapless using iTunes is to select all the tracks and group them together before ripping. You end up with 1 track which is 70 odd minutes long and no track information for the album. This is bobbins! There is loads of stuff about it on the apple forums. It's one of the major gripes.

I been told that you can get the iTunes player to play things gapless but since I don't use it to play stuff at home I've not looked into it. Either way, it doesn't translate onto the iPod itself. I would love someone to prove me wrong though.