SHSH Blobs: what they are and how to use them to downgrade your firmware

Jase Winter

There's now a 3rd way to back up your blobs!

iSHsh*t available via Cydia download! It backs up your blobs to a file on your iPhone and allows them to be e-mailed (to yourself) ;)

...and Yes, I'm aware what the last 4 letters spell, but I posted hoping the profanity filter was advanced enough to allow it. :)

Thanks mate, added to the guide.

Doovd

To restore to a firmware no longer being signed by apple, you will need to use one of the following methods:

if I wanted to undo a jailbreak and restore to a back up which has older firmware would I still need to use tiny umbrella or can I just "erase all content and settings" on the phone itself and then just restore a back up and update to the newer iOS version?

chukwe

if I wanted to undo a jailbreak and restore to a back up which has older firmware would I still need to use tiny umbrella or can I just "erase all content and settings" on the phone itself and then just restore a back up and update to the newer iOS version?

The firmware version doesn't affect the backup, so backup your phone and restore on any firmware version

phairplay

could someone please clear something up for me.

Iphone Dev team are stating

you cannot restore back to 5.0.1 once the 5.0.1 signing window is closed, no matter what (even if you saved your SHSH blobs).

now does that mean. if I upgrade to 5.1 (I'm not and have no desire too) I can't DOWNGRADE TO 5.0.1 even with my saved 5.0.1 shsh.

or

does it mean even if I install somthing from cydia that messed up my phone/pad and I want to restore my phone/pad back to 5.0.1 (which it's currently on) and re-jailbreak my iphone/pad. I won't be able too, because the shsh wont work.

Cheers

localboy27

theres no way to downgrade back to 5.0.1 from 5.1 even with blobs saved

this is for the 4s im not sure about other models

Jase Winter

If you have an iPhone 4S or iPad 2 (5.0 onwards for the iPad 2) there is currently no method to downgrade firmware, unlike previous devices which can use the above SHSH saves and tiny umbrella method to restore to an earlier firmware.

Apple only signs the most current firmware, therefore if you install something from cydia that messes up your phone and you need to restore, in the case of the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 you will have no choice but to put the latest version of the firmware on the device (or a 4.x firmware in iPad 2's case). If you have an earlier device with backed up SHSH blobs you will be able to downgrade/restore to your current firmware using the methods above.

Basically, if you are on a 4S or iPad 2 both your questions apply.

I've updated the first post with this information.

Last edited:

Jase Winter

The firmware version doesn't affect the backup, so backup your phone and restore on any firmware version

I don't think this is strictly true, in the event you want to downgrade your firmware you will not be able to restore a backup, this might be a new thing but it happened to me with my 4S while I was using the 5.0.1 and then 5.1 betas, you just get an error message that says iTunes can't restore the backup as it's from a newer version of the OS. It's fine if you are not downgrading though of course.

phairplay

Okay I understand I can't downgrade. Yet what about restoring only to the firmware I'm
Currently on ie 5.0.1 as I have the shsh stored

Jase Winter

You haven't told us what device you have, if it's a 4S, you may be lucky if apple are still signing 5.0.1 you could restore to it now but once they stop signing it which if it hasn't already happened will be a matter of days then you will only be able to restore to the latest version no matter what version you are currently at.

If it's an iPad 2 then the same applies.

If it's anything before that then you can restore to any firmware you have SHSH blobs for using the methods described in the guide.

phairplay

I have a iphone 4s and an Ipad 2

previously (on my iphone4 and 3gs) regardless of what firmware apple are signing. I've been able to use my shsh to restore back to my current chosen firmware.

as I could get cydia to sign it off

Jase Winter

Yeah and with those phones you still can, apple beefed up their security/restore process with the 4S and iPad 2 and as yet a solution has not been found. Sucks if you want to retain your jailbreak but run into issues. I don't worry about it to much myself, i'm never that desperate to keep a jailbreak these days, back in the days of iOS 2.x and really up to 5.x I found loads of features that I relied on, now it's more cool little tweaks and no major functionality that I personally feel I need that badly.

Jase Winter

Could a mod change the thread title to this:

SHSH Blobs: what they are and how to use them to downgrade your firmware

Think that makes it clearer whats in this guide. Thanks!

PFML84

Quick question, but I have never saved my SHSH Blobs. I am currently running iOS 7.0.4 jailbroken. Is it possible to downgrade to iOS 6.1.3 at all or am I now stuck with iOS 7?

Jase Winter

I'm a bit out of the loop as I haven't had an iPhone for a while now but going on the fact you have no blobs saved (even before we know what model you have) it's very unlikely you can downgrade.

Jase Winter

Wow this guide is probably really out of date now, I don't have an iPhone anymore and haven't for some time so i'm a little out of touch with Jailbreaking and the state of SHSH blobs etc, if anyone wants to take the content from the first post and update with a new thread please feel free as I am unlikely to update it any time soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom