Shrewsbury

shodan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driven 200miles (6 hours due to hundreds of people breaking down on motorways, crashing and generally not being very good drivers), 50 miles away and the heavens, 20 miles away and my daughter redecorated the car interior with vomit...

Meet up with friends, had a nice evening and today we are walking around the town.
What a beautiful town! Loads of lovely old buildings and some new ones in the old style.
Really loving the place!

Yeh, went there for work once and was impressed, and have been back to visit a couple of times. The park and river is really lovely. Would definitely live there given the opportunity.

Na, trust me you wouldn't want to live there :rotfl: it my parents home town. :)

Lovely place to visit, not so good to live. It's a bit like York, looks lovely but has a horrible one way system and being one of the top retirement towns is full of slow oap drivers.

Still looks nice and is an excellent choice if you like drinking, lots of pub lockings if you know where to go :laugh:

Edit
Forgot to say, I think it's still legal to shoot a Welsh man after dark within (or by, I forget) the town walls with a bow and arrow which could be useful!

Last edited:
Edit
Forgot to say, I think it's still legal to shoot a Welsh man after dark within (or by, I forget) the town walls with a bow and arrow which could be useful!

I'm pretty sure you're wrong :laugh:

Great place to visit just the once.
York it isn't.

:)

Edit
I'm pretty sure you're wrong :laugh:

It's in the city walls of Chester after dark by decapitation, however, the connection is the battle of Shrewsbury where Henry V then prince, got shot in the face by a crossbow bolt from Owain Glyndwr backed English rebel army. Pretty sure trying to harm a Welshmen would bring you into conflict of a whole host superceding laws, still it's an entertaining thought.

Last edited:
It's in the city walls of Chester after dark with decapitation, however, the connection is the battle of Shrewsbury where Henry V then prince got shot in the face by a crossbow bolt from Owain Glyndwr backed English rebel army. Pretty sure trying to harm a Welshmen would bring you into conflict of a whole host superceding laws, still it's an entertaining thought.
I'm almost interested to see how using the medieval bylaw would stand up in court ;)

Its meant to be quite common in former Welsh border towns, with the bylaw having never been cancelled. It was certainly still in force in the late 90's.

Even now the town is referred to as the english or welsh side (depending on what side of the river you are on) and is why there are 2 different pronunciations of the name Shrewsbury (correct one is the welsh side naturally :D the one that sounds like Dewsbury :))

Even now the town is referred to as the english or welsh side (depending on what side of the river you are on) and is why there are 2 different pronunciations of the name Shrewsbury (correct one is the welsh side naturally :D the one that sounds like Dewsbury :))

Chester City's ground is right on the border, The playing field is in Wales and some of the stand and car park is in England.

TNS the best team in the welsh league by far are based in Oswestry England and last year somehow were eligible to take part in the Scottish cup :D

TNS the best team in the welsh league by far are based in Oswestry England and last year somehow were eligible to take part in the Scottish cup :D

Llansantfffaid ym Mechain FC merged with Oswestry FC to form New Saints/TNS in the early 00s, footballing economics.

Llansantfffaid ym Mechain FC merged with Oswestry FC to form New Saints/TNS in the early 00s, footballing economics.

Yes they've kept the Welsh identity despite being a Welsh/English merger and basing themselves in England.

Financially better for them to boss that league and have a little sniff in the Euro Qualifiers as they'd be about 6th Tier in the English Leagues

If anyone visits Shrewsbury and is looking for a good place to eat, there is a lot of good places but check out Csons. Simply one of the best restaurants I've ever been too. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. Outstanding.

Yes Shrewsbury really is a lovely place to live, though its changing fast as houses are going up all over the place (which i'm sure you can say of most towns), very different now to how it was 20 years back. Blimy i really am getting old! :laugh:

Yes Shrewsbury really is a lovely place to live, though its changing fast as houses are going up all over the place (which i'm sure you can say of most towns), very different now to how it was 20 years back. Blimy i really am getting old! :laugh:

Not to mention Telford up the road from shrewsbury. It's almost like a new estate appears each day, in fact I think it's the fastest expanding town in the UK right now.

It's like everywhere. It can be lovely, I've been here on and off for over 30 years so can't be all bad. It's overpriced to buy housing, but not London crazy. Nostalgically it's expanding so much at the moment and the traffic is unrecognisable from when I started driving in the late 90's, but we are blessed with nice places to wander about, and it's an hour's drive or so to anything, i.e. Birmingham, Liverpool, the coast, Snowdonia.

Any of the town centre pubs are decent really, lots of places to eat, and the river loop gives the town centre the historic feel it has. Only wish we'd do more with the river as such, it's a feature we don't maximise like , for example, Stratford does.

I was actually disappointed by Shrewsbury - yes sure it has a few pretty old building but can't say there is much more to it...I always thought it comes across as really nice when compared to Telford...and because it is used in many TV or Film drama it is recognisable...

I used to have to work a lot in that area, personally preferred to stay in Ironbridge given the chance...

Llansantffraid ym Mechain FC merged with Oswestry FC to form New Saints/TNS in the early 00s, footballing economics.

My Dads home village, quite a story from watching them play in a field, to being controversially renamed after a company and watching them play in the European Cup in Wrexham. I've not really followed them since they merged with Oswestry and I didn't realise they changed the meaning of TNS, nice touch given the history of the club.

My Dads home village, quite a story from watching them play in a field, to being controversially renamed after a company and watching them play in the European Cup in Wrexham. I've not really followed them since they merged with Oswestry and I didn't realise they changed the meaning of TNS, nice touch given the history of the club.

Total Network Solutions :laugh:

Does anyone know if Shrewsbury fc still has one of the most violent football fans supporters? Not the greatest claim to fame I'll give you. They use to be in the top 10 with strong links to Cardiff fans.

All this talk of football has reminded me of it

I always thought it comes across as really nice when compared to Telford.

The crater left after a nuclear bomb has been dropped is nice compared to Telford. Telford would be better if they hadn't destroyed so much of its industrial heritage - buildings (residential and industrial), canals, railways, etc, etc. Look at a map of it now, compared to the late 19th century, and it's mostly unrecognisable.

The crater left after a nuclear bomb has been dropped is nice compared to Telford. Telford would be better if they hadn't destroyed so much of its industrial heritage - buildings (residential and industrial), canals, railways, etc, etc. Look at a map of it now, compared to the late 19th century, and it's mostly unrecognisable.

For those that don't know, Telford is one of the worst towns in the UK in many ways. They absolutely ruined what was a number of nice small towns/villages by merging them into one large 'new' town in the 60's. Basically they filled the green space between them with industrial estates and a number of very large, and now very run down, social housing estates. Although some of it is being redeveloped, it has the worst town centre too. In fact it officially has the lowest proportion of independent retailers of any town in the UK, it's very depressing.

For those that don't know, Telford is one of the worst towns in the UK in many ways. They absolutely ruined what was a number of nice small towns/villages by merging them into one large 'new' town in the 60's. Basically the green space between them with industrial estates and a number of very large, and now very run down, social housing estates. Although some of it is being redeveloped, it has the worst town centre too. In fact it officially has the lowest proportion of independent retailers of any town in the UK, it's very depressing.

ROFLMAO I told you all, that is why Shrewsbury (pronounced like in Hove in Brighton and Hove :p) seems so nice. It is all relative....

Then again; it does (or did) have an M&S for some lunch sandwiches....and the lady in the department store in the Ted Baker section did do a very good job in selling me several suits and shirts etc when I had to have extended stays there and not enough clothes....

ROFLMAO I told you all, that is why Shrewsbury (pronounced like in Hove in Brighton and Hove :p) seems so nice. It is all relative....

Then again; it does (or did) have an M&S for some lunch sandwiches....and the lady in the department store in the Ted Baker section did do a very good job in selling me several suits and shirts etc when I had to have extended stays there and not enough clothes....

I genuinely think Shrewsbury is one of the nicest towns in the UK, certainly in the midlands.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom