1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrek

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I bought Shrek DVD today. The running time on the box says 2 hrs 13 mins. But the film runs for 85 mins. What happened to the other 45 mins or so???? I heard the DVD's supposed to have a bonus fifteen mins episode which follows on from where the feature finishes. Where is it?????

Thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The running time on mine says 1 hour 33 minutes

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine is reg1 and is 1hr 33 min too

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Dr Rock,

You asked: "I bought Shrek DVD today. The running time on the box says 2 hrs 13 mins. But the film runs for 85 mins. What happened to the other 45 mins or so???? I heard the DVD's supposed to have a bonus fifteen mins episode which follows on from where the feature finishes. Where is it?????"

1) The film has always ran for 93 minutes, as far as I know, on UK DVD. As for the bonus 15 minutes, I don't think it ever existed, hence the reason you can't find it on the DVD. If you want to be absolutely certain, then simply go through every single Chapter of the DVD, and see if you lcoate anything.

2) On those rare occasion when a DVD lists a complete extravagant running time, this is normally because the Distributors of the movie have included all of the Extra Features as well, e.g. Director's Commentary, Documentaries, etc, etc. I can only presume the distributors of "Shrek" have done the same.

Pooch

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Pooch's reasoning sounds best, though some dvds have features only available to pc's which maybe worth bearing in mind for future. If no one else has noticed by now then it's unlikely.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I think I've solved it! .....

Dr.Rock

You state 2hr 13 mins which is the same as 133 mins
    Maybe you're getting this confused with 1 hr 33 mins or even 1.33:1, the aspect ratio which is also on the box.

As for yours running at 85 mins....dunno, you've got me there!
    Is that right to the end of the credits?
    These can sometimes be very long and are usually included in the total running time.

The 'bonus 15mins episode' you're thinking of is probably the karaoke clip that follows on after the end credits.

7. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know care and don't know about the running times but the movie is class all the same.

8. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Yep - top film.

Has anyone here (with a macrovision diabled machine) tried taping Shrek onto VHS?

I have a region 4 DVD and although my DVD player has had the macrovision disabled, the VHS copy comes out very bad with a lot of colour noise bands all over it.

Are they now encoding the actual video in DVDs with macrovision or similar (like with VHS)?

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    MattS,

No offence mate, but you shouldn't really be attempting to tape ANY DVD onto a VHS system. It classifies as copyright theft, and even fraud! :eek: Be Warned! Any unauthorised duplication of legitimate material, is illegal! It also classifies as breaking of the forum rules - because you are (in essence) promoting piracy!

Regardless of whether or not your DVD player has Macrovision-disabled, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can still make a clear and perfect copy.

Pooch

10. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Maybe he is trying to record it on to VHS to watch in a childs bedroom for example.

Lighten up Pooch

11. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I'm with pooch..
    one thing doing it (which is bad) but another to bring it to a reputable forum..and rules are rules..:)

12. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Oh dear. I really think that Pooch's moderating needs moderating!!!

Pooch - why have you (and another here) assumed that I am pirating DVD's? I copy my childrens DVD's onto VHS in order for them to watch them on their own video in their bedrooms. From experience this stops them destroying my DVD's!!! If they ruin a VHS I can do them another one for less than £1 - makes sense eh?

Now, I am fairly certain that this does not break any copyright rules and it certainly isn't piracy (or promotion of) or fraud! As far as I am aware you are allowed to 'back up' your own DVD's (and CD's) for your own personal use. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but If I am, that would mean I should be buying a further VHS copy of Shrek and would also mean that taping films off the TV (for my own use) is illegal! I think not.

Now that I've got that off my chest can anyone answer my original question? Other DVD's tape perfectly so it does seem to be something inbuilt into Shrek.

13. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kevo Said To Dr.Rock

"You state 2hr 13 mins which is the same as 133 mins
    Maybe you're getting this confused with 1 hr 33 mins or even 1.33:1, the aspect ratio which is also on the box. "

No offense Kevo but I don't think someone can be that stupid as to confuse the aspect ratio with the running time of the feature, my Region 2 copy also states 2hrs 13 minutes as the run time and is located in the Dreamworks copyright section of the case (small print on the back right at the bottom).

If you total the running time for all the extras, play the movie until the credits finish and watch the extra footage at the end, listen to the commentary etc then you are looking at something close to 2hrs 13 minutes runtime but this does include the features (something Dreamworks forgot to mention).

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matts: as far as I'm aware the law in the UK relating to DVDs is identical to that of CDs and vinyl album.

That is to say, as long as you buy one original copy of a DVD or CD you are legally entitled to make *one* back up copy for your own use in your own home.

The record/film companies obviously go to great lengths to play this down and 'fudge' the issue as yes, they would rather you shelled out for one DVD for your use and one VHS for your children's use.

A really interesting issue is that, technically, if you lend or borrow DVDs from friends and family you are breaking the law. And who can honestly say they've never done that....?

15. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    MattS,

Okay, let me clear this matter up.

You said: "Oh dear. I really think that Pooch's moderating needs moderating!!!"
    If you want to disagree with me, then disagree. But please don't try turning this into some kind of one-sided argument where I am the sole villain here. :eek:

In your post, you were asking people about the duplication of a DVD. I stated that this is illegal. It is illegal, and something I'm sure you are well aware of already.

You asked me: "why have you (and another here) assumed that I am pirating DVD's? I copy my childrens DVD's onto VHS in order for them to watch them on their own video in their bedrooms. From experience this stops them destroying my DVD's!!! If they ruin a VHS I can do them another one for less than £1 - makes sense eh?"

Well, the answer to that is fairly obvious, I would have thought. Nine times out of ten, people copy DVD's, CD's, videos, download MP3's, so they don't have to spend money on buying the originals. It's one thing for you to try "justifying" your duplication of a DVD onto a blank video for your kids to watch, and another to say that that is all above board. In other words, "justifying" something doesn't make it right, in the eyes of the law!

Now, before anyone else says it first, let me state here and now: I also download MP3's onto blank CD's, and make compilation CD's for my own listening pleasure. I also copy CD's rather than spending £10 plus, on buying them. So, I am no angel when it comes to this kind of situation. If someone wanted to take me to court for "piracy", then I would have to say that I was technically "pirating" material, regardless of my reasons for doing so may have been. The difference, is that a court would more than likely throw out the case, as being a waste of their time. The same would probaly apply if you were ever taken to court for copying a DVD onto a video, for your kids.

However, what you (and I) are doing is still technically illegal, as far as I know. The problem lies, in the fact that the rule about duplicating a CD or DVD for your own personal usage, is very grey, to say the least, and I doubt if a test case in a court of law, would actually set any precedents.

More than likely, the distributor's would say that you are "pirating" their product. I know that you ARE allowed to make one backup copy of computer software for your own personal use, but I don't think the same rule applies to audio CD's and DVD's or VHS tapes.

As for recording material off of the TV, yes, it is technically against the law, as is recording material off the radio to listen to later on. However, the distinction is probably down to what the individual does with these recordings.

I would say 95% of the population probably use a video recorder to record programmes to watch later; for reference purposes; to watch again and again; or to watch if two programmes clash at the same time. A recording off of the radio, is normally used by most people to listen to for future entertainment e.g. a concert or a personal "hello" type greeting from friends or relatives. That kind of thing.

As much as I would like to say that what you are doing is okay, ultimately, it isn't. Copyright on DVD's and videos is very strict. Simply put, I know of no UK or European law that allows people to make "backup" copies or "copies for personal usage", regardless of what that personal usage is for.

I don't want to sound like I'm being rude, because this isn't meant to come across in that way. However, maybe you could tell me why it's necessary to have the children watch films in their room, as opposed to whereever your DVD player is? What about teaching the kids how to handle your DVD equipment and how to use them in an adult fashion? Surely that is far easier and more enjoyable (as a parent), as well as more sensible, than simply having to copy everything for them to watch in their room? :( :confused:

I am in no way implying that you should be bringing your children up by a certain method. That is not what I am saying here. Nor is this meant as a personal attack against you, or the fact that you disagree with me on this particular issue. I do not mean to come across like an ingrate, or as someone out to deliberately offend you. All I did was point out - rightly or wrongly - that copying a DVD was illegal.

Until I hear or read of something that tells me otherwise, then I am obliged to make you aware of that, because of my duty as a Forum Moderator. The forum, Home Cinema Choice, Spectre, and everyone else, can NOT be seen to be advocating piracy in any way, shape or form. If we did, we would all be open to hefty lawsuits, especially this being a public forum, and not just a private conversation between two individuals in their living room.

As such, I have to warn you, and anyone else, whenever the copying or duplication of any product is mentioned, that it is illegal to do so. The same kind of problem occurred when the issue of "Star Wars" VCD's came about about 6 months ago. They were illegal, and as such, Spectre pointed out, that that subject could not be promoted or condoned via this forum.

I apologise if I have unduly offended you, or anyone else, for my actions. That was never my intentions. We all make choices, and live by our own values and rules. Whether those values we abide by are lawful or not, is something only we ourselves can decide.

I hope this helps you understand why I wrote what I did, in my original post above. :)

Oh, and in answer to your question, it may be the case that "Shrek" has a special anti-piracy feature installed on it, not including Macrovision.

Pooch

16. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Pooch you seem to have missed the point. I wasn't trying to make out that you are the villain I was simply (half jesting half seriously) suggesting that you didn't seem to have thought about what you wrote and made a smart ass-umption.

It is perfectly legal to duplicate or copy (once?) for your own use CD's, DVD's Computer programmes, TV programmes etc. etc. However, if you can find me just ONE instance where someone has been prosecuted for taping something off the telly or taping a CD or backing up a computer disk, DVD or whatever (all for their own use) then I will eat humble pie. And no, I am not saying that just because someone hasn’t been prosecuted it must be OK, I am saying that no-one has been prosecuted because no-one has broken the law. What is clearly illegal though is, for example, downloading MP3’s from the internet. This is a totally different ball game because people are copying something that they do not own and/or have not paid for.

With regard to my children - a little bit personal but I'll give you the benefit of doubt that it was not meant as such. All I can say you either don't have any or if you have you must be a strict disciplinarian!! Those with children will probably agree that when at a young age they have little respect for things especially small shiny round objects. Of course they don't just watch things in their bedrooms - don't take that comment so literally!!!! I put them on tape and they can watch them wherever - lounge, bedroom, kitchen and (God forbid!) their Nan’s etc. etc. They won't be watching DVD's in their bedrooms though, however good they may be, as they haven't got their own DVD player and I'm not forking out for another one!!!

You have a job to do and I fully appreciate that but come on, use a bit of common sense, lighten up a little and THINK before you moderate.

Enough said.

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    MattS,

Hi Again. Thanks for your response.

1) I, presonally, don't think it is legal to duplicate CD's or DVD's. However, if anyone can let bothe Matt, myself and everyone else in here know, what the proper legal rule is that allows people to do this, then I will accept that.

2) As far as I know, taping material off of the TV and radio, IS illegal, but again, I would need someone else to give me the specific law that states whether this is the case or not. I'm 99% certain that it has something to do with copyright issues, but I may well be wrong. If I am wrong, then I too, will eat humble pie! (Just a small slice, mind!) :D

3) With regard to your children - I apologise if any undue offence was caused. I am only 25, and have no children. So, again, my apologies if my previous response seemed very personal. It wasn't meant to be taken in that way. I was only being curious as to why you felt it necessary to duplicate something, rather than let your children use/view the DVD's themselves.

4) With regards to me "lightening up", I do take things very seriously. And maybe, I could or should lighten up on some things, but this is who I am. However, in this specific case, at the time you made no mention of why you wanted to copy the DVD. And I did only state that it was illegal. Which, again, as far as I know, it is - regardless of why you want to copy it.

Anyway, I'm happy to agree to disagree with you on this topic. I'm sincerely sorry if my response was taken the wrong way, or that you thought I was being over zealous. I hope you will accept my apology, for I did not mean to upset you personally. :)

Pooch

P.S. If Spectre or anyone else (maybe someone here works in the legal profession?) can confirm or deny whether:
    a) it is legal/illegal to duplicate CD's and DVD's, and
    b) recording material off of the TV and radio, then it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

18. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Pooch - good reply. No offence taken and I accept your points and apology. ;)

Perhaps you could close this thread and start another one with your p.s. from your last post? It would be very interesting to get a definitive answer one way or the other.

Many thanks.

19. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
  20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If the above is illegal and therefore cannot be promoted or discussed on the forum what about the importation of Region 1 discs for personal use only which are then openly traded or sold on this forum. Is that not also illegal ?