1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrek 2

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Simon6776, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Another dilemma! :rolleyes: Don't know which region to go for! The R1 / R2 seems to be a single disc, whereas there's a nice R4 2 disc from EzyDVD, but including the shipping, this would come to nearly £20! Have e-mailed them to see if they would send it without the 'Dome' toy thing, which would bring it down to under £16, still with nice packaging.

However, there also the R3 2 disc from CD-Wow, which could be had for £11.99, with a £1 voucher I have, which they sent me because Shaun of the Dead was reduced in price. This, however, could be a dogs dinner of a picture (you never quite know with R3s), so I'm not sure whether to take the risk. I've been unable to find a comprehensive list of extras for the R1, so not even sure if the 2 disc has anything in addition.

Which version are you guys getting, if any?

2. WYNIR0

WYNIR0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The Cheapest, my kids tend not to complain about the PQ. :rotfl:

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,376
    The R1 release does have an extra disc but its only available when you buy the Shrek/Shrek3D/Shrek 2 Boxset and I think most people have Shrek on DVD so its a waste of time getting that just for an extra Shrek 2 disc.

I have only ever had three R3 films and they are Hellboy, Dawn of the Dead and Kill Bill and they dont seem to have bad picture quality so if the R3 release of Shrek 2 is of equal good quality I will get that, if its not then I will get the R4 release.

4. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,398
    Hi,

All my R3 discs all have great PQ. Why would R3 PQ be any different from R1 or R2?, surely did come from the same master + compression settings. Or do they?.

I think R3, at 12.99. Prob get spidy 2 R3 same time.

ta

rai

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,376
    Some R3 releases have had terrible picture quality so this would put people off buying other R3 titles but I would have hoped that big films like Spiderman 2 and Shrek 2 would use good masters, maybe the same masters as the R1 release so the quality should be identical.

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regards to Shrek isn't certain parts of the film dubbed over with different voices dependent on which region of the world you are in ? i remember reading they changed the voices foir the UK edition and they have cut a headbutt scene out so i am going to buy the american region 1 edition, why no DTS track this time though ?

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,376
    I might be wrong but I believe it was only the UK release of the film that had re-dubbed characters and the headbutt scene removed and a neck chop added, this is why I am avoiding the R2 release and going for either the R3 or R4 release.

8. wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    English : DTS 5.1 Surround
    English : Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

taken from spec on dvdsoon.

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD Soon are not very reliable when it comes to product information before a title is released, i have noticed several titles on their website listed as DTS which are not, every single site i visit shows Dolby 5.1 as the sound format and no mention of DTS anywhere which is a shame as the original Shrek has a great DTS soundtrack.

10. wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    must say does now look like dvdsoon are wrong as you say no other site shows the disk to have dts.

11. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I went for the R3 in the end, from CD Wow. Couldn't really see the point in paying almost double for a bit of extra packaging and a toy for the R4 from EzyDVD, but I did ask them, and they will ship the 2 disc set without the toy, if you request that in the notes section when you order. That should bring it down to about £16.95, but still quite a bit dearer than the R3 at CD Wow.