1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showshifter / Sweetspot questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by 911uk, Sep 16, 2004.

1. 911uk

911uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to build my new system using the SweetSpot card with three sources: Sky digibox (RGB), VHS video recorder (SVHS) and a FreeView box (SVHS). Will use PC's internal DVD for playing/recording, though tempted by the Xcard.

1) Will I be able to connect 2 VHS sources and the RGB source at the same time?
    2) Can Showshifter switch between these and allow recording of one and viewing of another?
    3) Will the quality from the Sky box be as good as RGB via JS Plasma VGA box to Plasma when feed through the Sweetspot?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Phil

Why not use an RGB Scart switch, taking the Sky box and the Freeview box in to SweetSpot RGB. That will then leave you with SVideo2 input free for your SVHS VCR.
    The quality will be better using SweetSpot, as the JS VGA boxes (excellent though they are) are not performing any video scaling/deinterlacing, which is what you are getting on a SweetSpot enabled HTPC.
    btw there is a trial version of ShowShifter on the SweetSpot CD so you can get a real good view of its capabilities.

cheers

3. 911uk

911uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks David. However, I've just realised that I could simply plug the freeview box into the Video - Doh!

I look foward to seeing the results of the SweetSpot card as I thought that the JS box was already giving me the best possible picture.

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Oh yes, that would also work :)

I would still be tempted though to use the RGB output from the Freeview box as that will be better than Svideo..

good luck

5. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    911uk,

David is right, forget s-video if rgb is available. Try looping the rgb scart feed from the sky box to the second scart connecter on the back of the freeview box (if it has one) or the other way round, you may find that one of them has rgb pass-through saving yourself the cost and the need for 'another box'.

surrey lad ;)