Show's yer picture discs and coloured vinyl

windhoek

Prominent Member
Reaction score
There are all kinds of galleries on AVF and I thought it would be nice for us LP lovers to show some of our picture discs and coloured vinyl. I'll begin with Michael Jackson's Thriller and Deja Vu by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

Thriller Side A
IMG_0831_zps7e14cc8a.jpg

Thriller Side B
IMG_0832_zpsca04104a.jpg

Deja Vu

IMG_0823_zps70d03565.jpg

IMG_0824_zpsa1107135.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea windhoek, I'll get my camera out, the recently released ELO 'mr Blue Sky' looks stunning with its Blue Vinyl, pics to follow.

As Promised here are a couple of Pics of the Blue Vinyl of the recently released ELO Mr Blue Sky, I don't know if coloured vinyl effects the sound quality? I wouldn't have thought Jeff Lynne would allow it if it did, I know picture discs weren't always considered the best for sound quality, look nice though, can't get that with a download :)

It doesn't matter what colour a vinyl is for sound quality. Black is no different to having any other colour. It's just a colour.

My Pink Floyd's

Pink Floyd Picture Discs

Small selection of what I have.

Yello -

Base for Alex (transparent so no colour added)

basefo1.jpg

I Love You 7" 3D

ilovey1.jpg

Interview Picture Disc

interv1.jpg

Bostich Remixes

bostic1.jpg

Call it Love

callit1.jpg

Oh Yeah

ohyeah1.jpg

Kraftwerk -

Man Machine

dsc02920ll.jpg

dsc02838ih.jpg

dsc02839tc.jpg

Last edited:
More Kraftwerk

Autobahn

blueau1.jpg

autopd1.jpg

Computer World

comput1.jpg

dsc02840hr.jpg

dsc02842vi.jpg

Flaming Lips -

Battles the Pink Robots

flamin1.jpg

Last edited:
Love the Kraftwerk picture discs there, I'm sure they're worth a bob or two!

Picture discs prices have gone up on place like eBay quite a lot recently. I paid around £8 each for them and now they can go anywhere up to £40 now.

One of my favourites is the laser etched High Hopes single in my link.

I also have coloured vinyl from the white Stripes (red and white). I also have coloured 7" singles.

White Blood Cells.

whiteb3.jpg

Some quick pics just taken for Elephant. The red is also quite transparant too. I do seem to have a lot of red ones.

elepha1.jpg

elepha2.jpg

elepha3.jpg

Here's my Metallica - Enter Sandman 7" picture disc :D
1000metallicaes.jpg

Iron Maiden shaped picture discs
Can I Play With Madness
1000ironmaidencipwm.jpg

The Evil That Men Do
1000ironmaidentetmda.jpg

Infinite Dreams
1000ironmaidenid.jpg

Found a few more Maiden,
Stranger In A Strange Land 12"
1000imsiasl.JPG

Number of the Beast 7" red vinyl
600ironmaidennotb.jpg

Hallowed be thy Name 7" red vinyl poster sleeve
600ironmaidenhbtn.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread idea, is interesting looking through, really like the Yello: Bostich Remixes one posted a few posts up!

I don't have many, one Black Sabbath one that I bought on release years ago(hmmm, can't remember seeing it in my collection thinking about it, will have to look), and a couple of coloured, will edit pics of them into this reply tomorrow.

Last edited:
As Promised here are a couple of Pics of the Blue Vinyl of the recently released ELO Mr Blue Sky, I don't know if coloured vinyl effects the sound quality? I wouldn't have thought Jeff Lynne would allow it if it did, I know picture discs weren't always considered the best for sound quality, look nice though, can't get that with a download :)

i always thought they were lower quality as coloured discs used recycled plastics that were dyed, whilst black vinyl wasn't, so was a higher grade material

a bit like bottles, coloured bottles like green ones are from recycled glass, and clear glass isn't, and both have different physical properties. you may have seen tricks where people lie in broken glass, well they only do that with coloured glass bottles as when you put it in a bag and shake the bag hard the sharp edges get smoother and less sharp, whilst the volunteer shaking the bag is told it makes smaller sharper pieces

in playing vinly i found picture discs and colour discs to be worse than black, but then i usually bought those types for the collection and not to play, and just played the black versions, especially picture discs

Colour is added later so it is no different whether it is black or any other colour.

If a coloured vinyl is done properly then there is no difference but sometimes there are bootlegs that are coloured. My green Dark Side of the Moon is like that. It sounds ok but it is not the colour that affects it but the fact it is a poorly made record. The edges of the record is rough and it looks not as deep/thinner than usual.

With picture discs, the groove is not as deep as regular records. That will affect the sound quality.

i always thought they were lower quality as coloured discs used recycled plastics that were dyed, whilst black vinyl wasn't, so was a higher grade material

I have always thought the above as well

I haven't got many picture disc's or coloured vinyl, think I have some Madness and King Kurt picture disc's, a Nights in White Satin - The Dickies on White vinyl and a That Summer Soundtrack on see through yellow/gold vinyl same as the Bostich Remixes vinyl posted above, thought I would have had more, I'll have to check out my 7" records sometime.

Curly

Last edited:
I can only go by my vinyl and other coloured vinyl I have listened to and. Coloured vinyl just like black vinyl can sound awesome especially the Yello's. The sound quality can make me get goose pimples.

Both coloured and and black vinyl can sound great and also some not so great. It depends on the pressing.

Anyway I would rather see the pics.

I was sure I had a pink Bjork but must have dreamt it.

Last edited:
I have always thought the above as well

I haven't got many picture disc's or coloured vinyl, think I have some Madness and King Kurt picture disc's, a Nights in White Satin - The Dickies on White vinyl and a That Summer Soundtrack on see through yellow/gold vinyl same as the Bostich Remixes vinyl posted above, thought I would have had more, I'll have to check out my 7" records sometime.

Curly
You thought correctly. Black vinyl is made from the raw vinyl pellets, coloured vinyl is recycled and dyed. In the 70's dynaflex was not (contrary to claims otherwise) recycled, just very thin vinyl. In the 80's they started using recycled black vinyl for the cheap re-issues, hence stuff like the dreaded 'Fame' issues were poor both sonically and in terms of vinyl quality.

One of the reasons new vinyl is expensive is because vinyl pellets are no longer cheap - as they were in the 60's.

Totally agree with Nwgarrett on the pressing issue. A good pressing is worth it's weight in gold.

I have had plenty of black vinyl which sounds just rubbish due to the pressing.

I have had plenty of black vinyl which sounds just rubbish due to the pressing.
I don't have that many, and most came from that 'black period' of the 80's-90's. The worst for pressings in the 70's was Virgin. I had to take back far too many copies of TD albums for my liking. My clear vinyl version of Force Majure is like a banana it's so warped, and the black vinyl version is also seriously better sonically. And flat.

It's not always the pressing that's at fault either. Kevin Gray did a good article on how it's the mastering that is often the issue, and also, the way the artist wanted the album to sound. The early Sabs albums are case in point. You'd think it was the pressing, but many CD's cut from the early masters, and, when not seriously tinkered with, still have that murky sound that many feel they were aiming for. Another argument that rages is 'did Dylan deliberately master Blood on the Tracks slow''?

We may never know. :rolleyes:

Take heart from the fact that far too many early CD pressings were utterly dismal, then along came the loudness wars to ruin post 93' (the start point for seriously 'hot pressings) CD's and that left a window of about four years of decent mainstream CD pressings! :eek:

Thus making even poorly pressed vinyl seem priceless!

In the 80's they started using recycled black vinyl for the cheap re-issues, hence stuff like the dreaded 'Fame' issues were poor both sonically and in terms of vinyl quality.

You just reminded me of a mate who pointed out some of my Iron Maiden albums sounded bad, the ones with 'Fame' in the top corner. I didn't know what he was on about at the time, but he definitely knew his onions! pointed out straight away that my Soundhouse Tapes was a fake but I only paid £10 for it at the time. I think originals fetched ~£70 back then, now they go for £500-600! I've seen bootlegs like mine go for £50-80 but I like it in my collection, even if it is a fake.

Some other picture discs I have, I'm sure I had more but don't know what happened to them. Can we post poster sleeve versions too, I have quite a few of those :D.
Anthrax - Fistful of Metal Album
1000anthraxfom.jpg

Anthrax - Persistence of Time Album

1000anthraxpot.jpg

Megadeth - So Far, So Good... So What! Album
1000megadethsfsgsw.jpg

Also found a Guns 'N Roses Nightrain shaped PD
1000gnrnt.jpg

Last edited:
we have some instore, an early Metalica interview picture disc, a Rachel Sweet album on white vinyl, a Judas Preist on Clear vinyl, various 7" picture discs, all the Pippetts 7" re-releases on coloured vinyl and I think it's a Prince Paisley Park 7" picture disc... if I can get a picture of them I will.

Curly

P.S. and a Thunderbirds are Go for Christmas/No Strings Attached album of Barry Gray/Gerry Anderson theme tunes picture disc.

Last edited:
Here's some of mine...I'll get some more up soon!

The new Vangelis 'Blade Runner' OST release from Audio Fidelity....looks stunning! The cover is really heavyweight...good effort on the quality here!

attachment.php

Mr. Blue from the 'Reservoir Dogs' OST...Suckers would have snatched up all the colours if each album had opened with a quote from the particular colours character...yes I am available for brainstorming dear record company!

attachment.php

The blood spatter edition of the 'Django Unchained' OST...one of the nicest looking...I have the black vinyl as well to see if there's much quality difference between them...still to test that!

attachment.php

Pink Floyd's 'Live in London 1966/1967'....this was a RSD 2011 release...I've another couple of sealed copies if anyone wants one at cost!

attachment.php

And finally 'Elvis Blue' release from Japan...all the tracks have 'blue' in the title! Eg. Blue Suede Shoes, Blue Moon etc...

attachment.php

Attachments

• image-1082201803.jpg
    image-1082201803.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 766
  • image-1247537017.jpg
    image-1247537017.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 604
  • image-1638309157.jpg
    image-1638309157.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 546
  • image-1223600582.jpg
    image-1223600582.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 427
  • image-2558294155.jpg
    image-2558294155.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
some of the instore picture discs and coloured vinyl... excuse the picture quality, I had to use my phone. from left to right
1: Gene Vincent picture disc/Pipettes 7"'s
2: Matalica Interview picture disc
3: Pipettes Blue 7"
4: Rachel Sweet
5: Prince Paisley Park picture disc
6: Barry Gray, No strings attached, Theme tunes from Gerry Anderson's puppet shows

Attachments

• IMG_20130429_141946.jpg
    IMG_20130429_141946.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20130429_141958.jpg
    IMG_20130429_141958.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20130429_142110.jpg
    IMG_20130429_142110.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20130429_142238.jpg
    IMG_20130429_142238.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20130429_142339.jpg
    IMG_20130429_142339.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20130429_142554.jpg
    IMG_20130429_142554.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
'American Recordings' by Johnny Cash....I though I was buying an original pressing...turns out its the 2010 reprint on green vinyl!

attachment.php

Attachments

• image-2196746188.jpg
    image-2196746188.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 429
Got a couple floating around will dig them out tomorrow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom