Shows us your indoor house lighting

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I am researching lights for our house, it would be good to see what do you have, or what you want to have. I need a new main living room light, a bedroom light, and a couple of hall lights and a free standing light for near sofa (not a priority that one). We are looking for something modern looking. Theme is black and white.

Please show us what you have, we are looking for ideas and inspiration.

We quite like the look of these modern looking led lamps, but I am worried that it being led, once the light dies / dims, you need to chuck it out and buy another one, as you cannot just change bulb and keep using it. Also they all seem to be coming from China so I am worried about quality and durability.

EBscFyU.png

D1ckU01.jpg

The wife will not let me have one 🙁.

That's so cool. I do have an man cave / office to kit out too, but this is out of my price range sadly.

There are pretty amazing lights on that website, but prices are amazing too. Maybe if I buy all the other stuff and have anything left over.

Some nice modern designs on these sites...

Shop all

one.zero
That second link is the place where I found the lights in my first post here, however one of the comments on their website states that the lights are coming from China. I have also found the same lights on Aliexpress a bit cheaper. Again, coming directly from China. They have some of the designs on Amazon as well, but more expensive.

I really like the look of these led lights, but I am worried about durability and lack of European standard certificates.

Thanks for the help though, we need to be ordering lights now, but still not decided what to do

I'd have these as corner lamps, but I'd expect they're silly money given my desk one was €90.

I hate threads like this. All they do is highlight how much nicer than mine everyone's houses look.

I still have 5 small old fashioned Fluorescent light tubes in the kitchen under cabinets to light the worktops.
Bulbs are cheap and they are cheap to run, 1ft to 3ft bulbs.
Same or less watts than LED's
But I'd like to change them for something more modern.

Has anyone replaced such things with a simple LED light strip, where you cut things to length.
5m of white led's on a strip type things?

Recommendations?

Don't go cheap. The cheap LED strips don't stay attached to things for very long (assuming sticky backed).

I've not found any brand do curves very well either. Be it Phillips or Chinese crap.

Local store has some very nice LED replacements, but they are sealed units, as spoken about earlier in this thread and not cheap either, so a Flash and a Poof and it'll be money time again.
The reels seem vastly better value.
Fixing, yeah, some glue or even staples perhaps?
Just don't want to spend much, but would like them to last.
Just not sure what the light output will be.

We liked these ones
They look like LED lights. Can you say anything about them please? How long you had them, have they been OK, where you bought them from, etc. I'm looking for a reliable place in UK selling them (not cheap Chinese ones, but better quality ones - it's hard to tell online sometimes)

Local store has some very nice LED replacements, but they are sealed units, as spoken about earlier in this thread and not cheap either, so a Flash and a Poof and it'll be money time again.
The reels seem vastly better value.
Fixing, yeah, some glue or even staples perhaps?
Just don't want to spend much, but would like them to last.
Just not sure what the light output will be.

I wouldn’t rely on the 3M or equivalent led strip on an existing kitchen units, they will eventually come unstuck, because the units have been exposed to kitchen cooking air etc. In my new build house, they’ve used such, but it has plastic clips every metre or so.

You can now get some pretty attractive profiles to house the tape. Or there are some sealed units, which come prepared, such as this. Plenty others.

They look like LED lights. Can you say anything about them please? How long you had them, have they been OK, where you bought them from, etc. I'm looking for a reliable place in UK selling them (not cheap Chinese ones, but better quality ones - it's hard to tell online sometimes)

Purchased from Amazon, had them roughly 2 years. I was totally price conscious with a lesser eye on quality. However, given that my knowledge on lights was zero my approach was, find a U.K. seller on Amazon who was selling what appears to be a pair we liked and good quality (I.e. I just read the reviews) then, spend (literally) a full Sunday afternoon finding another seller on amazon who did the same lights but at a significantly reduced cost (This of course is a luxury if you have the time). It seemed to me that most manufacturers were happy for a wide range a sellers to sell their lights and at significantly different price points. I guess it’s only retailers like John Lewis who can afford to sign exclusive sales agreements.

We are very happy indeed with them, they have not let us down yet but, we don’t use them overly, the main purpose was to provide a focal point for the very high ceiling. The room also has 6 wall lights and under cabinet lighting as well,

For what it is worth we have outside lighting around the room and were surprised how incredibly beneficial we think it is. The room has two very large ceiling to floor windows and a one of the walls is all glass doors (bi-fold). By having good outside lights (Led up and downs and floods) we found that the room inside is also much brighter and it makes the room feel a lot bigger as well and so nice to not have to close curtains and feel part of the garden when it’s dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have 5 small old fashioned Fluorescent light tubes in the kitchen under cabinets to light the worktops.
Bulbs are cheap and they are cheap to run, 1ft to 3ft bulbs.
Same or less watts than LED's
But I'd like to change them for something more modern.

Has anyone replaced such things with a simple LED light strip, where you cut things to length.
5m of white led's on a strip type things?

Recommendations?

I've run LED on a WIFI controller that allows voice control, Smart control and will react to music.
They also mean we can turn off all lights in the kitchen and use them as night lights with enough brightness to be able to see into the draws.

Bought direct from China and these were item for item the same as being sold on Amazon, but at a much lower price and are fixed using the sticky back and clear plastic screw in clips.

20201009_061737.jpg

20201009_061926.jpg

20201009_062809.jpg

Examples of a non lit kitchen, apart from the island LED's. It is great sitting there in the evening, watching NetPrime with just these lights and those behind the kitchen TV on.

Cost from China was around £13
Cost from Amazon for the same product - around £25

Purchased from Amazon, had them roughly 2 years. I was totally price conscious with a lesser eye on quality. However, given that my knowledge on lights was zero my approach was, find a U.K. seller on Amazon who was selling what appears to be a pair we liked and good quality (I.e. I just read the reviews) then, spend (literally) a full Sunday afternoon finding another seller on amazon who did the same lights but at a significantly reduced cost (This of course is a luxury if you have the time). It seemed to me that most manufacturers were happy for a wide range a sellers to sell their lights and at significantly different price points. I guess it’s only retailers like John Lewis who can afford to sign exclusive sales agreements.

We are very happy indeed with them, they have not let us down yet but, we don’t use them overly, the main purpose was to provide a focal point for the very high ceiling. The room also has 6 wall lights and under cabinet lighting as well,

For what it is worth we have outside lighting around the room and were surprised how incredibly beneficial we think it is. The room has two very large ceiling to floor windows and a one of the walls is all glass doors (bi-fold). By having good outside lights (Led up and downs and floods) we found that the room inside is also much brighter and it makes the room feel a lot bigger as well and so nice to not have to close curtains and feel part of the garden when it’s dark.
Thank you!

Quite similar to our room then. We too have large windows on two sides (South-side is one of them), floor to ceiling. Ceiling is also high (nearly 3m), but half of the room has suspended ceiling where we will mount 12 individual halogen style lamps ( six banks of two). The other half of the room, the side where sofa and TV will be, without lower suspended ceiling, needs a couple of floor standing lamps near sofa, plus a main ceiling light in the middle. I don't really want anything that will be dangling from the ceiling and want something that will be flush with the ceiling (I don't think we will be using that light very often).

That's a good idea about finding good lights and then looking for them cheaper elsewhere. We spent a good few hours browsing lights, but it is difficult to imagine them in real life based on often just a single photo. I think we will have to go and visit a few shops in person.

Can you shorten the length of the cables / strings that they are suspended on so that they are nearly flush with ceiling? Also how is their brightness? Can you dim them?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom