Showing photographs on a 1080p LCD screen

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by ianof, Sep 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ianof

ianof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I'm going to get a 40" or 46" 1080p LCD screen in the next week or two (Sky HD is being installed tomorrow) - I'm considering the Sony 46W2000 (which I can get at a good price now or else wait for one off the forthcoming 100mhz 1080p models dues in the next few weeks)

One of the ways I managed to persuade my wife that we needed a 'big black rectangle' a meter wide on our wall is .... "but darling we'll be able to put the family photos on it in a slideshow (4 children!)". We use a 6mp camera so resolution is fairly high.

I have a basic PC which I used as a media server (slim server) for my 2 squeezebox 3s and a browser (no games on this) I am considered using this - however a PS3 is possible around Christmas (depending on its ability to upscale standard DVDs to 1080p - I don't get a chance to play many games these days)

Questions:
    1. What are the best options to get a photos up on an LCD screen (using a slideshow type of application?

2. a) If I am going to use a PC what resolution will I need to set the PC to?
    2. b) Is it feasible to get a RF keyboard and mouse and use the LCD as my screen - foe browsing and sorting out my media library)
    2. c) What cable should I buy to connect a PC to LCD

Regards

Ian

2. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    your PC does not need to be powerful for media serving duties
    as long as the TV is capable of accepting 1080p resolution from your PC via VGA (unlikely) or DVI-HDMI you should be fine. Some older graphics cards can be a little finicky with 1080p resolution/drivers but I have had no issues with recent Nvidia cards

Some sort of media management software on the PC would also be handy (I recommend XP Media Centre Edition or the Vista equivilent)
    A PC with the right post processing software (e.g. purevideo, ffdshow) will also handle DVD upscaling to a higher level than a console.

However if you do go the console route i'd recommend an Xbox 1 (with XBMC and HD Component kit) or the Xbox 360 as a Media Centre Extender.

I have 3 large screen Toshiba LCD's (2 of which are 1080p) all using comibinations of the above and am very satisfied. Photo slideshows with music are a favorite in my family...

oh and answers to other questions
    2b yes no problem for RF, BT or IR kits
    2c VGA to VGA if your TV supports or more likely DVI to HDMI

3. barghest

barghest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The PS3 is an option as the DVD upscaling is supposed to be pretty good, and it has some nice photo displaying applications.

The XMB, as recommended by HSC, on the Xbox 1 is good and is an option. I would stay away from the Xbox 360, though, as it has a high failure rate and is rather noisy.

4. nitro23456

nitro23456
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    just a side note, SKY HD isnt 1080p and is unlikely to be in the forseeable future.

5. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I hope I'm misinterpreting your intentions, but are you planning on having a slideshow running all the time whenever the TV isn't in use so it's not just a black rectangle on the Wall? This seems like a colossal waste of power to me - you're probably talking 200-300 watts for whatever you use as a source (PC/PS3 etc) and another 200-300 watts for the display itself! :eek:

For the odd slideshow here and there, photos will look great though. A 1080p screen is only 2MP so photos from a 6MP camera will look great on it.

Some TVs actually have a USB port on them to let you hook up your camera/card reader directly and do a slideshow that way, which might be best for your needs, as that makes things a lot easier and wouldn't use as much energy.

6. davejm

davejm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    1) Something like Irfanview will do the trick. It's a free image editing application that has slideshow features. I'm sure there are plenty of other apps that do this too.

2 a) If you already have a PC that you can use as a Media Center, you're sorted. You'll need to set the resolution to 1920x1080 (1080p), which most graphics cards should be able to manage these days.

2 b) Yup! I use my RF keyboard and mouse. I'll be looking at getting a Media Center keyboard with a touch pad soon though, as it's a little tricky juggling the keyboard and mouse in the living room at the moment.

2 c) It depends on the T.V. My Samsung M87 supports 1920x1080 through VGA, so I'm just using the VGA cable from my monitor at the moment. When you buy your TV, make sure it supports 1920x1080 (1080p) through VGA too so you have this option. Another option (if your graphics card has a DVI port) is to get a DVI to HDMI cable (they're quite cheap on the bay) and connect it up that way. DVI/HDMI is a digital connection, so it's technically better than VGA.

7. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Some of the newer upscaling DVD players, actually have a 1:1 pixel option for displaying photos from memory cards, as opposed to upscaling.

Look for Jpeg-HD as a feature, it will use up a HDMI slot of course, there are some TV's with memory card readers, that perform a similar function.

As a side note your camera is probably not widescreen (16:9), so there may be some stretching,
    cropping or black bars going on.

Or if you have XP, just set up a screen-saver linked to a folder containing your pictures (see below):-

To use personal pictures as a screen saver
    Ensure that you have two or more pictures in a folder on your computer. You can upload pictures from a digital camera or scanner, or copy them from the Internet or an e-mail attachment.
    Open Display in Control Panel.
    On the Screen Saver tab, under Screen saver, click My Pictures Slideshow in the list.
    Click Settings to specify the folder containing your pictures, define picture size, and set other options.
    Notes

To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
    My Pictures Slideshow scrolls through all the pictures in the folder.
    After you specify a screen saver, it will automatically start when your computer is idle for the number of minutes specified in Wait.
    Click Preview to see how the selected screen saver will appear on your monitor. Move your mouse or press a key to end the preview.

8. ianof

ianof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks everyone --- great input and advice -- This will sort me out!:)

Now all I need to do now is to select and buy the TV! (the competing advantages of good value for older models vs the allure of newer technology 100mhz versions!)

At them moment I have a couple of sheets of news paper measured/stuck together and stuck to the wall (behind my 32" CRT) to illustrate how big a Sony 46W2000 is (I also have one for the smaller 40W2000)!

Hence the requirement to have a few 'family friendly' concepts to use to justify my investment

(Andrew I only put on these slideshows occasionally rather than permamently running - however my media server is always on anyway)

Regards

Ian

9. gfsracing

gfsracing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The new Samsung F86 has a USB slot in the side where you can insert a USB Pen drive and it will show the photos and play any Mp3 tracks on the USB stick as background music.

10. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    IMHO - no big deal

I just picked up a 42" 1080p Tosh X3030 for £800 which I think is superb. So you could just do that and save yourself £500odd which could be used as family "bribe" money...:smashin::devil: