1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showing off HDTV....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by King Saul, May 2, 2005.

1. King Saul

King Saul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, this is abit of a rant.....I work in a independent TV store and I am trying my best to show hi/def on our selection of LCDs. I am doing this in three ways
    1. EURO1080 via sat
    2. HTPC with stuff downloaded off the net
    3. D-VHS

So far I am not blown away with the results, I have seen much better, I am still experimenting using different cables and setups etc.

Here is my point - next time you go to a major consumer show, eg Bristol Hifi, and you see hi-def on display with jaw-dropping results have a look at what they are actually doing to display this, because most cases you will find a 6f rack full of scales and processors calibrated to perfection using hi-end cables showing manufacturer demo material at its best etc etc

With our hi/def instore at least it gives a realistic display for the average joe-bloggs for when they receive Sky HD or what ever.

I think what I am saying is - its not an easy thing to do or even cheap to get a hi/definition display as good as you see at some of the shows, eg the Fujitsu stand at this years Bristol show.......jaw dropping.......but did you see what they were using ??

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I have to say that I am more than impressed with the results of streaming mpegII HD content from my PC to my LCD via a component-dvi cable.
    Just viewing HD on my LCD monitor convinced my that spending some serious money on a larger panel made sense and I'm delighted with the results and as the display technology improves it's surely only going to get better.

Not been a postion to see HD demonstrated at a respectable dealer or a trade show so perhaps what I am seeing is HD only performing at a percentage of what it is capable of (making allowance for not viewing on a 1920*1080 panel) and if that's the case if I am delighted now what will I be in 12-24 months time:)

3. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seen the 1080 HD1 a lot of times now, not impressed at all, might as well run a good dvd for signal. Blue ray on the other hand looks out of this world good, saw it on the expensive sony plasma's, and that's really like looking through a window, still....i wonder how long it will take before it becomes mainstream because the difference just isn't the same from video to dvd. A good dvd player, played through component or rather dvi on a good plasma screen won't be off by miles. I want a hd ready tv though...cause what i've seen so far is just too good not to show off with ;)

4. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say my SDI modded Philips DVD player into Lumagen HDP at output thru HDMI at 1366x760 resolution of the Fujitsu 50XHA40US is incredably not far off true HD at all.

Awesome.

Dil

5. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    We run HD1 Sat into a Pioneer 505XDE via component and the picture is amazing, vastly superior to DVD.

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227

Glad you liked it - I calibrated (quickly, not a full ISF job) the displays ;)

With decent cabling you should be able to demo HD successfully. Fancy scalers etc do improve the PQ, but here I can run HD1 direct into a Panasonic PHD7 and everyone who has seen it has been impressed so far.

7. King Saul

King Saul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piers, are you telling me you were responsible in setting those displays up ? Fujitsu at Bristol ? I must say it was most impressive, now thats what I call HD, the best there for me....and it was on plasma too.

Are you able to tell me what the source was ? Harddrive ? D-VHS ?

Saul

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Yes, I set up the Fujitsu plasmas at the Bristol show. I seem to remember that they had an HTPC for the high def clips but there was also a high spec DVD player (Arcam??) feeding SD.

9. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piers is something of a God round these parts indeed..

:thumbsup:

10. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    From what I saw in the US when I visited New York the issues are the same over there.

The only really jaw-dropping picture I saw over there was a Qualia 70" rear projection set being driven by a satellite HD receiver.

Many of the LCDs, Plasmas and HD CRTs were either displaying SD DVDs or SD analogue - and looked really, really nasty. Loads of digital processing artefacts - similar in some ways to 100Hz processing over here.

Even when I saw OTA HD on plasmas and LCDs in the US they still looked pretty bad. I saw a Sony HD CRT set - and it looked a bit better - but the video levels looked to be all over the place.

11. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We are still pleased i see dilsher, exelent. I saw blue ray when i was in Florida and it looked amasing.

12. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    There were some excellent displays (with appropriate source material) at NAB last month in Las Vegas. I didn't attend last year but, talking to some USA friends in the industry who go every year, there were a few poor quality HD demos last year but hardly any poor ones this time around.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

13. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you go into a higher end store your usual electronics store chains will typically have lousy to unbelievably bad demos. That's what you get these days with big stores with relatively low salaries and high employee turnover. It's amazing really that the corporate heads don't realize how much sales could be improved if they had proper demos. HDTV sells itself but not when you have demos that look worse than regular TV.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    which LCD's???
    Honourable but that isnt going to sell much..............(not off the back of HD possibilities anyway)
    Piers isnt that expensive..................I have been inyour shoes King Sual. Do you sell plasmas? If so concerntrate your effort here. LCD sells for different reasons, too many people are ignorant or scared of plasma (dont last long need regassing etc) LCD is CRT replacement for the masses Plasma is a bit more special. The Fujitsu's looked so good not because of the feeds but because they are exceptional displays well set-up you dont mention any names but if your stock is mostly Philips, Samsung Sony and Pansonic LCD and Philips, Sony, LG plasma (straight out of "central stock") you may have found your problem..............Also retail lighting is a killer. To set-up a good retail display takes time effort and money (lots of money) you have put in the effort but perhaps the rest needs soem thought. Are you using a Distribution system?