1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showing JPEG photos on TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul Baines, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Paul Baines

Paul Baines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to purchase a high end DVD Recorder, and in addition to the obvious uses, I should like to be able to view digital photographs on my TV, that I have transferred onto DVD from my PC.

I can view them currently via my 'cheapo' £50 DVD player, but the quality is extremely grainy compared with the image on my PC monitor, and larger images (in excess of 1 Mb) are slow to load. My TV is a Sony Trinitron KV-28FQ75 U (100Hz).

I am homing in on the Pioneer DVR-920H, which includes in its listed Playback features "JPEG Photo Viewer". Do most decent quality modern machines handle JPEG to the standard of the Pioneer, whether or not it is mentioned in the machine features, or does the "Viewer" give greater flexibility of presentation than most?

Can anyone advise me as to whether my current, rather grainy photo images are more a function of the TV than the DVD player. In other words, am I unlikely to get significantly better results via the Pioneer?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. joshm

joshm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Perhaps someone more knowledgable will correct me, but your TV is probably the limiting factor. It can display about 570 lines interlaced at 50Hz, quite pitiful compared to the capabilities of a computer monitor.
    Not sure about models able to display JPEG etc, but I guess that at the very least most HDD models will have the ability to do so.
    JoshM

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    It is true that a TV monitor generally doesn't have the resolution of a PC monitor - so you would miss some fine detail, but it shouldn't be "extremely grainy". If you are looking at the photos from a normal TV viewing distance, they should still look good. Broadly speaking it should look as good as a normal TV picture (at least).

And yes, most recorders do this - I view jpegs on CD with my Toshiba XS32. It doesn't advertise a special "viewer", but it recognises a photo cd, and you can select a specific photo via thumbnail, or do a slide show.

Mark

4. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would imagine there are differences in how well players render the higher-res images down to TV resolution - cheap ones may use crude pixel-skipping rescaling, whearas better ones ought to use proper resampling techniques to avoid nasty artefacts.

5. Paul Baines

Paul Baines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the helpful observations. :thumbsup: