Shower pump issue

anticlaus105

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I just went to have a shower to be met with a trickle of water. On investigating my shower pump was making a loud buzzing noise. I turned it off and on and it continued the noise so I switched it off. I manged to complete my trickle shower and then turned to the pump on again to film the issue. This time it fired up and ran properly. Firstly does this mean my pump on it's way out? Over the years I have considered replacing it with a quieter model. I have also read suggestions of varying from mounting it on paving slab to kids play matting along with not screwing it down. I can probably replace the pump myself, so can anyone suggest a suitable model that will be quiet along with the best way to mount it?

Another issue over the years has been the cold water tank in the loft sometimes completely drains, causing an airlock in the pump which I have to bleed. I'm wondering if this has contributed to the current issue. I think the tank is 25L and I believe it's recommended to use a 50L tank with a pump like this. On examining the tank I have noticed it fills ridiculously slowly. Is there a reason for this? There doesn't seem to be anything I can adjust to get it to fill faster. If it filled quicker then it would be less likely to completely drain, which is going to be easier than replacing it with a bigger one.

Edit: I forgot to mention its a salamander c50+ twin, but not the one that now shows up on Google, the older version with a green body.

Last edited:
re pump check if has a start up capacitor, if it has change it before buying another pump. Especially if it is a Stuart Turner pump.

Last edited:
One of your biggest problems is the water tank - if you look at the installation instructions for the newer pumps (can't find your exact model) it states the minimum size is 50L. When you run out of water, the pump is running dry, which will damage it.

Thanks all. I had a look and it seems an electrical spare parts pack was available, but is now discontinued. I will keep looking though and give salamander a call. Depending on cost though I may just change the pump. Oddly we never had a problem for 1-2 years after moving in. Then one time my wife had a shower while the kids were in the bath and it stopped. This made me think something had gone wrong with how the tank fills. I posted on a plumbing forum where it was suggested the tank was too small. Since then I have just been careful but have occasionally had to remove an airlock. When this happens the pump shuts off, but I don't know if this is quick enough to prevent damage.

I will see how it goes but need an action plan lined up in case it permanently fails. I can get away with a trickle for a shower for a while but the Mrs won't be happy :rotfl:.

On a similar note I wol booted my pc today and when I went upstairs it was making a racket. I did the switch off/on and it then ran ok (and I cleaned about 2 years of dust blocking the case fans :blush:). It's a good job I wasn't using it remotely. I'm starting to wonder if I've got dodgy electricity like that 80's film pulse. I did just switch supplier :eek:.

If it is the starting cap any compatable (physical size/ rating uf) will do

All done. No leaks or explosions yet. Thought I would treat myself to a new float valve and give the loft tank a clean. Moral = don't fill your kettle from the hot water if you have a loft fed cylinder :/

20200914_212112.jpg

20200914_212050.jpg

20200914_212024.jpg

20200914_211953.jpg

Dead pigeon, or just general gunk?

Lol. Just general gunk. I assume it's years worth of sediment. I checked the tank a few years ago and it was there then but not as bad. It only feeds the bath, shower and hot water, so not really an issue. I guess the hot water cylinder will be similar if I could look inside. The central heating expansion tank is next as that is truly disgusting.

EDIT: And just to add my PC did eventually fail :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom