Shower Handle Help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mr starface, Feb 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mr starface

mr starface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +494
    Let me prefix this by saying I am hopeless at any and all forms of DIY and house maintenance.

I have a shower room with a Mira shower, it has two handles either side one controlling temperature and the other turning it on and off. The on/off handle has stoppped working, normally you push the button in, turn and hey presto shower comes on when I push the button I cant turn the handle.

This is the handle and button
    [​IMG]

The mechanism seems very simple, there is a circular piece of plastic inside the handle which has a sort of serrated edge
    [​IMG]

This serrated edge grips the metal piece insde the handle to turn the water on and off

[​IMG]

However it doesnt seem to matter where I place the plastic piece on the metal as whenever I put it back together the handle simply wont turn!

[​IMG]

The plastic wont seem to sit exactly flush on the metal, I'm guessing the pressure of screwing the handle back on helps with this but I must have tried 20+ times now and cant get it to work.

Any help/advice appreciated, I'm sure someone who was vaguely practical could fix it in 2 minutes! I'm getting fed up taking baths and want my shower back!

2. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,732
    Being perfectly honest- change the whole thing!

You can pick up a replacement shower valve for £89 on amazon at the moment. A high spec Grohe unit.

If you can isolate the water supply and are capable of undoing two nuts then it is a very simple job.

I replaced one this morning. It took me five minutes.

Bar style valves usually are 150mm centres so just a quick measure up of the distance between pipes coming out of the wall is enough of a check.

Dammit, amazon have just put the price up to £121

Any Bar style valve will do, even another Mira.

3. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,732
    Ok thinking about this more (I have a tendency to shout REPLACE unduly sometimes) did you know what all the components are for?

The way the green plastic insert works is to form a ‘stop’ within the action of turning the handle. This is usually overcome by pressing a button on the handle to allow the rotation to continue.

If you are getting the stop in the wrong place in relation to where the actual valve itself is already located, the handle won’t turn.

I suggest that you try to play around with the position of the valve before you put the greeen insert on. When I say valve, I mean the brass spline attached to the shower valve.

I would try to get it in the absolute centre of both clockwise and anti clockwise rotations before placing the insert on.

Also the green insert might have a marker on it which usually suggests that the marker is placed onto the valve at 12 o clock.

Also try the handle without the insert.

These inserts on the on/off button are quite a new thing, for eco reasons.

4. mr starface

mr starface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +494
    Cheers Wahero, not what I wanted to hear but if I did go this route is it a universal fit for valves so would anyone work? Is the size also always the same as the shower unit itself has to line up and fit into the top of the valve?

I know where the water valves are so I can turn those off and I can see the nuts on the unit to undo (I think). Still find it daunting thinking about it though!

Edit - Just seen your further response, so are you saying to rotate the brass spline itself? Wouldnt this turn the water on.....would need some pliers or something to turn it.

5. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,732
    Hopefully this helps if you do try to replace.

It’s the undoing of two nuts to remove the valve and that’s it. The shower hose gets unscrewed too.

Just make sure you undo the nuts at the same time, a bit each side.

How to change a shower bar valve. Shower mixer...

6. mr starface

mr starface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +494
    Would this be a standard attachment for the shower riser, most units on amazon have the fitting at the bottom . I cant actually see how mine comes off! Excuse the corrosion.....

[​IMG]

7. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,732
    Ahhh, that changes things somewhat.

It looks like a Mira Coda. Similar procedure to replace but you need a model that has the attached slider outlet.

Might be worthwhile playing around with the handle for a bit longer if you can.

This may help:-

http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_1001691.pdf

8. mr starface

mr starface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +494
    Appreciate your help Wahero will certainly try with the handle for longer and look at the PDF

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,379
    On the subject of showers, if I may hijack slightly?

Does anyone know how I can get someone to come round and reseal mine for me? I will pay obviously but nobody wants to bother. It's a shower enclosure consisting of a tray and then shower boarding on the 3 walls. It's leaking and needs the old sealant removing and new applying. I've not been able to use that shower for nearly 3 months now!

It seems like an easy job but it's beyond my DIY capabilities and my patience!

10. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,732
    Hmmmm Nottinghamshire.

Big far for me.

I used to enjoy doing this sort of work.