Showcentre 200

tscotsman

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this the best media streamer on the market at the moment? Really looking for a solution for a streamer for ts files and HD Divx/WMV HD etc, espescially now that ive got the plasma to show off the HD content

Got one today !!

Brilliant. Plays all my HDTV stuff at 720p via component outputs. I converted my stuff to Mpeg2-PS quality is fantastic on my new 37 inch LCD TV :)

DivX at 1280x720 and Xvid same res... all play great. Will not handle divx or xvid with Qpel or GMC, so its about the same as standalone players on that one, but it WILL play in high resolution...

I am so far delighted. Not Tried any other machines as I read a few good revies on this one. I use it via wired LAN socket, so cannot comment on the wireless performance, but even 11g will struggle with mpeg files streaming at more than 20 meg a second :)

Any more info you want... let me know

did you convert ts files to mpeg 2 to get them to work?

Will get back to you on that (My family are watching a live proggy right now!!) I had already converted to mpeg, so have not yet tried the original *ts files.... will do it later :)

Just tried to load a *ts file into media centre. The *ts file suffix does not appear in the loading options.... will read the docs and let you know !!

have heard that renaming to mpg might work?

hahahaha....Great minds think alike. Just re-named a file and loaded into the center on my PC. Will see if it will play after my family have finshed watching something !!!

thats the answer i was looking for, definitely think ill be ordering one at the end of the week. First to get the wireless broadband router.

As a matter of interest which ts files did you try? And was it 720p/1080i?

Thanks for the help DennisT

Tried both. 720p and 1080p. Tv episodes. plus a feature film. Both worked great. Got the stuff off the net, just joined the seperate ts files into one big ts file using mpeg2repair and re-named to mpg.

Enjoy ......

where did you get your showcentre from? ive ordered one from dabs but anywhere else selling these? How much did you pay? Thanks for the help appreiciate it

Got it From Savestore.com, paid £167 including following day delivery.

So far, Its worth every penny :) Let me know how you get on with yours.

One other thing, I use the phono outputs for sound (not got a 5:1 system yet) and AC3 and dolby do not play via these outputs without purchsing an additional licence for around £3. Something to do with Dolby licencing argeements. You CAN get output without the additional licence via the other audio outs. I got the licence on line, only took a few mins.

Have fun streaming .... just got The Day after Tomorrow in 1080i looking forward to watching it later... all 12 gigs of it :)

Interesting you guys getting quite a few files to play.
Im currently in the process of building a HTPC but would possibly like this streaming feature for another room.

Is thier any app that will join all files to a single file and rename them automatically? Also can i ask if you have had any problem in joining multiple ts files mainly regards playback issues?

Joining files is no problem. I use Mpeg2repair (freeware) brilliant proggy. Checks all original ts files then outputs them to one large file.

For streaming I just add the suffix .mpg and they all (so far!!!) play back fine.

I also sometimes use HDTVtoMPEG2 to convert the ts files to MPEG ps files, which are easier to convert to DivX at very high res (less disk space!!)

Any other questions.... just ask.

you can also use total commander to join multiple ts files. this program is also free.

Ok gents thanks....

Any of you guys try and stream wirelessly Gladiator or ROTK 1080i as these were both very high mbs titles.

Im not convinced about wireless myself because of drops or interference. Even X360 which aparently recommends 802.11a can impressively stream upto 5x HD video files all being the same at different playback points or even seperate individual HD files upto 4 additional X360 extenders within a home, rather impressive. Though on a recent interview video for HD playback they recommend wired configurations.

It will be interesting to see if the X360 requires a codec for the streaming of non traditional windows media or will it play any format as long as the host PC has the compatible codec?

i bet as standard the 360 will not stream divx/xvid. In any case i dont have a media center pc which you need.

Of course you do realise that you can link a external hardrive and play it that way if it doesnt work wirelessly

Well i think the X360 wont offer what we need regarding file playback.
Maybe some form of modification will happen and as you say allow typical USB2 connectivity.

tbh ive opted and in the process of building a new stylish yet quiet high spec HTPC, in my opnion it was the best option even though i considered various media controllers and even a laptiop. Its way more configurable and always changeable, just add a nice front end to make it more adaptable and include remote etc.

dennist, what program you using to convert the mpeg2 files to divx/xvid?

tscotsman said:
dennist, what program you using to convert the mpeg2 files to divx/xvid?

Gordian Knot, Auto Gordian Knot, Dr.DivX. Still have not fully sorted the coding of Very big mpegs made from Ts files. Some code, some don't. Will get there soon, I hope !! As i am running out of HD space :)

how did you get on with 'The Day After Tomorrow'? Im getting that also.

Quality is excellent. Only watched about 30 imns so far... need more hours in the day :)

Have tried to convert to divx HD but no success yet. Its 29.97 fps and Auto GK which takes ts direct, changes it to 23 fps thinking its "film mode" ... then its "very jerky" .... will get there one day !!!!!!

Just been trying to play .ts files. Tried mpeg2repair to join them and renamed them with .mpg but still doesnt work with any of them. Pinnacle media centre still rejects them no matter what i do, still says unrecognized file.

Anyone any ideas? How have you guys managed to get it to work?

Do the files play back OK on your PC ??

To get them to play on MC I do exactly what you have done. You are using a MC 200 not the provious verision, as that did not support .ts files

files play back fine on pc. what do you mean mc 200? Im just using the media centre that came on the cd with the showcentre 200. Is there a different version of the medis centre software i should be using?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom