Show SkyHD after turning on the TV

DaddyDee

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question but it is really bugging my wife. How do I get SkyHD to show right away after turning on the TV. I have the following TV:Sony- KDL-32v2000

My sky is connected via the HDMI lead

When I first turn on the TV it goes to a black screen with channel 00 showing. I have to manually change the TV to AV4, for SkyHD to show. This is really annoying the wife and I'm getting nothing but ear ache for it. When I just had normal Sky+ through a scart it worked fine and went straight onto sky as soon as the TV was switched on.

Help me AVforums you are my only hope....
:lease:

Hmmm..

sounds like you need a programmable remote ;)

Check the remotes section for a good range of Harmony remotes at both ends of the price scale!

Cheapo Pronto 890 off ebay will do it.
I've had one for ages, and I press 1 button on the remote and it turns my sky on, amp on, tv on, back lights on tv on, and then changes to sky input on TV. Another button turns it all off. Only other time i use it is for volume, the sky remote is better in the hand for channels etc.

Anything in the settings for the tv?

If it doesnt stay on the av channel after switching on or off, I doubt you will be able to do it without a programable remote.

Like Blingo says check the TV's set-up menu for any input default options before going down the programmeable remote route. !!

I've got exactly the same kit as you, Nosyd, and the same frustration, too. I've tried all different kinds of settings, but still have this problem.

If you read Lyris's posts about FAQs for the Bravia (see the last FAQ), he mentions the inability for the Bravias to autoswitch. However, I had autoswitching working fine on my Bravia when I had Sky+ connected through the SCART lead.

As switching doesn't appear to work over HDMI, I wonder if it's because:

1. The SkyHD box doesn't output a switch signal over HDMI (certainly no option to turn it on/off in the menus, like one can with the SCART switching). Or;
2. The TV can't accept switching over HDMI. Or;
3. HDMI doesn't support it (although I would find this kind of regression surprising).

If it's either of 1 or 2, it may be fixable by a software upgrade if either company deems it worthwhile (I doubt Sony cares tbh). Also it's easy for Sky to deploy software updates (it happens automatically), but probably tricky / pain in the 'arris to get a firmware upgrade for your TV.

I have the same problem also, but my sony starts off on 01 :lol:
it takes about 20 seconds to start up so you have to wait till you can change to the HDMI channel :(

its a real pain in the bum.

If you only leave the TV for 1 hr it starts up instantly, still onto 01 though :(

But leave it for more than 2 hours and it needs to completely boot up :(

Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I'm not at all techy, but could I also connect my TV up with scart as well as HDMI and turn on the scart settings in the sky menu. Would that do anything?

Also, where is the best place to find a programmable remote on the net? I only need one to control my SkyHD and TV.

Don't know about the remote but connecting the SCART will enable auto switching to AV2 / AV1 (whichever you use) and you'll get your Sky straight away, albeit in SD. To view the HD output, you'll still need to manually switch to AV4.

Don't know about the remote but connecting the SCART will enable auto switching to AV2 / AV1 (whichever you use) and you'll get your Sky straight away, albeit in SD. To view the HD output, you'll still need to manually switch to AV4.

Right, well thats good enough for the wife then. She can't really tell the difference anyway, so she says. :rolleyes:

Another thought... you can use the SkyHD remote to switch between the TV's various inputs (assuming, of course, you have set up the SkyHD remote to be compatible with your TV!):

Press "TV"
Press "Help" to change the AV channel on the TV. This cycles through your TV's inputs (each of which can be set to "Skip" - see below).

Switching is made easier by setting your TV's unused inputs to "Skip" (Settings>External Inputs>Edit Labels -- set each unused one to "Skip"). You can still view the "skipped" inputs (Settings>External Inputs -- select the one you want) but setting the label to "Skip" just ignores them when you cycle through the inputs.

Thanks Tarrier that worked perfectly........ was driving me nuts too!! :smashin:

hdmi is different to scart causing this to be a problem.

as most people have advised get a programmeable remote and try that. if you dont want to do that you are only going to be able to do it the current way you do it.

Yes but the question is "Why?!!". Why can't the HDMI input cope with this extremely useful functionality???? Is it sony's fault? Sky's???

I'm afraid I cant offer a solution to your problem.

What I will say though is:

When I turn on my panasonic tv, it automatically switches to HDMI if my HDbox is on (which it generally is)

This is still the case if I have been using playstation (AV3) and turned tv off.

ooh that's interesing, Alun. Presumably it's a SkyHD box?

Does your TV autoswitch to HDMI input when you turn it on, even if the HD box is off? Just trying to establish if your TV remembers the last input that was used, or if it really is "switching" to HDMI.

thanks,

Sky is HD

TV auto switches to HDMI if sky box is on, this is regardless as to what channel it was on when I turned it off.

If sky is off, tv turns on on the channel that I turned it off on.

how confusing does that sentnce look!! hope it makes sense:D

Yep that makes sense. I must have a Sony problem then - I'll contact them to see what they say.

thanks Alun

Well I tried to contact Sony but no luck. Will persevere but not holding out much hope (have always found that their after sales service sucks harder than my vacuum cleaner).

Apparently the Pannys have got something called HDAVI control (scroll to bottom of that link).

C'mon Sony - get your act together!

Reading that, it suggests that the HDAVI control is intended to work only with other panny products. Or did I read it wrong.

anyway, my set is the model before that one (TX32LX50)

Good find though.

Yeah it may be proprietry technology, but at least it goes to show that Panasonic are a step ahead of Sony in this regard. It also demonstrates that the capability exists, and it's up to the TV manufacturers to include it!

Maybe the Panny technology will become a standard, or maybe they've just branded some generic technology so that it appears to be another feature. Who knows?!

What I do know is that Sony don't seem to be too keen on customers contacting them after they've spend a small fortune on their products :mad:

Yeah it may be proprietry technology, but at least it goes to show that Panasonic are a step ahead of Sony in this regard. It also demonstrates that the capability exists, and it's up to the TV manufacturers to include it!

Maybe the Panny technology will become a standard, or maybe they've just branded some generic technology so that it appears to be another feature. Who knows?!

What I do know is that Sony's don't seem to be too keen on customers contacting them after they've spend a small fortune on their products :mad:

I know what you mean, I had serious issues with my last sony (first IDTV). sony blaming on digital, on digital blaming sony...........

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom