1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show rooms - best 42" on market.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tribeless, May 16, 2005.

1. Tribeless

Tribeless
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been trying to decide between purchasing a plasma or Samsung 50" DLP rear projection.

I'm bouncing back toward a plasma (although can only afford 42"). A couple of things trouble me in the price range I'm looking at, namely, the resolution spec's seem very low (compared to the DLP): reading the forum here, it would appear this is not a major issue, although I know when looking at the different models in the shops that all the models are very different. I'm not going to ask which is the best brand 42".

No, actually I am. Which is it?

Another thing. We've been to about five show rooms now and I've suddenly cottoned onto it that all were showing cartoon like programming on the plasmas, Nemo, etc. This is not some sort of ruse is it? The DLP had real humans playing on it, and was a stunning high resolution picture (I'm just worried about other issues with this technology). Gets me back to which is the best 42" on the market?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No straight answer to your question, which is the best. The answer to your other question is that yes, there are reasons why folks show cartoons. It's because there are no gradations of colour like in real life, and being digitally produced, they come up sharper. The lack of colour gradations prevents posterisation. I have only seen one plasma capable of making a hash of showing 'Shrek', an NEC XM3. You need to see just any old favourite movie you know well to see if a plasma meets your expectations, and some live TV. Have you got digital TV at home? And what else do you need? Must it have sound built in, or do you have stereo or surround sound that you could use? I rarely sell a plasma with speakers on, 95% of my clients (I'm a custom installer) have surround and a plasma, they can then go for a monitor type screen. If you have sky+ or twin tuner PVR freeview, you have no need of other TV tuners, they are just ballast and needless complication.
    The rear pro you are looking at is very good, you will likely need a high res plasma to equal it, which will be 2.3-2.5k I guess. A W-VGA one like the Panasonic PWD7 or a viera will have a decent stab at it, for about 1k less, but the difference is obvious.

3. Tribeless

Tribeless
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks MAW, a very helpful post. The above also raises another point, which I should probably put on a separate thread ... but here goes anyway.

Yes, we do have digital TV (Sky) here (New Zealand); but that raises another issue. The last salesman we've now seen said that there is, he 'suspects' (doesn't know!!) that there is a problem with Plasmas and Sky, that being all the Sky channels play a transparent logo on the screen to show which channel you're viewing (which annoys me quite apart from this issue). He said this will 'burn' ultimately into the screen. So, this is the question of screen burn. Has anybody experienced this round the logo areas if your digital has such a crass policy? How long does it take to burn in ... hours-wise?

(Beginning to find this a nightmare. I want a big screen TV to watch DVD's and TV; I've now turned away from DLP rear projections due to eyestrain and rainbow effect issues; screen burn, screen reflection, plus shorter life is starting to turn me away from Plasmas, which is bringing me to LCD. But, I want a big screen (minimum 42"). In this range LCD's are three and four times more expensive.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    screen burn not an issue on a good modern plasma (60,000hours to half brightness) how long do you want it to last? All direct veiw TVs will reflect ambient light (ambientlight is BAD sort it out first) none direct view TV's are deystroyed by ambient light. SO CRT stops at 36" or 40" (loewe) plasma stops at 65+, RPTV stops at 60" front projection 120"+, LCD 45" (sensible money 37") so you dont have a huge choice.................What is your Budget, your room , viewing habbits and viewing distance?

5. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    How do find a DLP causes more eye strain than a Plasma?

6. Tribeless

Tribeless
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ... sheesh. DLP is known to cause eyestrain in some people; badly, as I understand it now.

But, are you now intimating that plasmas do likewise?

Right, that gets my purchasing options back to a small screen LCD flat panel. Wait a minute, I've still got the trusty 33" Mitz. Black Diamond CRT ... been working great for about eight years.

Might as well stay with that until a 50" LCD comes on the market for about one quarter of what they are now. Probably about three or four years time :suicide:

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's possible to see rainbows with plasmas, but highly unusual, unlike DLP where a noticeable proportion of people see them.
    BTW if your TV is 8 years old, you'll find the brightness and contrast is shot compared to a new one. It's amazing what you can get used to if it happens gradually.