Show me the way - AV amp suggestions please.....again.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by richardS, Mar 9, 2006.

1. richardS

richardS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, here's the thing....

I have a Denon 3805 AV amp and Denon 2900 DVD....hooked up to Monitor Audio GR20, GR centre, GRFX rear, REL Storm III sub...

What AV amp should I go for - or setup to get the best out of the Monitor Audio GR Range. I do listen to music on the system although not a great deal of SACD/DVD audio - and yes, I would prefer to have a dedicated Stereo system, but needs must, so I am looking for the Nivarna of audio, with a view that at some stage I will want to have HD - I currently have a Sim2 HT300+, which I don't think can give me HD (720p thru DVI?)

If I am to spend the money it's really going to have to blow my socks off - 7oaks suggested the Primare SPA21 (but this isn't usable for HD) or perhaps an MF amp....but this isn't AV right?

Anyway...not interested in all the gadgetry, just excellent 5.1 sound and the ability to upgrade to HD at a later date.

So panel....what do reccommend I go listen to for my Monitor Audio GR20s??? :)

2. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The Primare would be a good bet if you're not interested in gadgets. Sevenoaks have one ex-dem for £1,395 which looks like a steal (have a look on audio candy).

Is there such a thing as an AV amp that's "usable" for HD. Why not connect direct to your display and let the amp take care of what it's supposed to do, making a nice noise! (Or am I missing something? :rolleyes: )

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the SPA will indeed sound very good on your speakers, i know as i've listened to it, also on mine too...lol

however, you already have a competent AV amp for gadgetry......why not go the MF route as suggested? power the front stereo pair from an MF A3.5 or A5.....believe me, its a lovely sound with those speakers.....demo it of course to make sure its your kind of sound too, but i'm fairly confident you'll enjoy the difference....heh

given they are floorstanders i'd stretch to the A5 for that extra current on tap, plus a nicely labelled SACD input...heh....oh also a built in phono amp in case you need it.....but most importantly, it has a HT (Home Theatre) input (which the 3.5 does as well), you switch to this source when watching movies, it turns the amp in to a dedicated power amp effectively so no mucking around setting two lots of volume controls each time you watch a film :)

you could just buy a A5 power amp, but i recommend getting the integrated and plugging your DVD players CD output sockets straight to the A5 and use the 3805 just for digital surround sources....

but do give the Primare a whizz too, cracking 5.1 amp....but it is limited gadgetwise....

4. richardS

richardS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark and Knyght - good to hear your thoughts - I suppose (when all this HD stuff gets sorted out) I can, as you say plug directly into what ever projector it is at a later date... I like the idea of using the A5 to drive front speakers in conjuction with 3805 too. Ultimately it comes down to what sounds best... So I know...best thing for me to do is go and have a listen to the two amps (A5 & Primare)....just got to find somewhere that has these and GR20s and relevant DVD player as I ain't movin' mine!

Any other sugestions anyone?

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    local sevenoaks should have the 3806, 3910 and GS20's, close as you'll get now given all your items are old lines......you might find a 3805 in their shop if lucky, possibly a pair of GR20's, but i wouldnt hold out much hope on the DVD player...lol...

you'll get more for your sound from the A5 i reckon than the Primare purely because the A5 is just stereo and thats all, as good as it made my GR10's sing in the demo room, it didnt compare to the A5 once it all got going (as in full climax in a complicated piece of Shostakovich).....and with yours being the bigger model up from mine, the power in the A5 will certainly be welcome......but demo them against each other on as close a setup as you can get and see what you think.....

6. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Fully agree with Knyte Byte. If you want top notch stereo, a separate stereo amp is the way to go. In fact, that's what I've just done (currently waiting for delivery of a separate stereo pre amp and power amp :thumbsup: ). After several years of upgrading my AV amps and tinkering with my set up it's finally dawned on me that I mainly listen to stereo and that's what I should be gearing my system towards.

Having said that, if you want a one-box no-frills solution the Primare will be hard to beat at £2k, let alone at £1,395.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Primare compared with a £1k stereo amp.