Shout Factory 3 disc The Thing Steelbook

It was OK. I don't want to give too much away. You'll have to watch it. Some one liners from other movies including The Thing.
Thank you, i have seen a couple on ebay & i will be ordered for the collection.

Last edited:
when was Blair assimilated & by whom then if there wasn't more than one?
I'm not saying that there was never more than one. What I'm saying is if there was more than one how would they know there was another one?

Blair is an intriguing one but after he does the
autopsy on the one in the dog pen he touches the pencil on the thing then he touches it to his lip and possibly got infected then.

After some thought, I’m of the opinion that once the alien has fully assimilated something it is in complete control. Thus the alien knows full well what it is. The consciousness of the host no longer remains.....
But the copy is perfect even down to actions and thoughts so it also copied the host in every way including Norris's heart condition. Unlike, for instance, Invasion of the Body Snatchers where the copy wasn't right and people could tell something wasn't right with them, "That's not my wife."

I think the comic letter/response was saying the alien is inside and just watching through the perfectly duplicated host, only exposing itself when it had to or thought it was safe to.

I'm not saying that there was never more than one. What I'm saying is if there was more than one how would they know there was another one?

Blair is an intriguing one but after he does the
autopsy on the one in the dog pen he touches the pencil on the thing then he touches it to his lip and possibly got infected then.
Its is a very good question about whether they could recognise or even communicate with each other, indeed it's one of the the beauty/mysteries of the film isn't it doubt everywhere :smashin:
if a lick of a pencil rubber can cause infection then why wasn't Bennings infected when the dog licked him
& like yourself & Bemused One we obliviously just love this movie & i suspect with a bottle we could go on for hours.

I wish there was a new commentary by Carpenter that just focused on his thoughts on how the alien worked.

Is there a proper The Thing thread where we can all talk about The Thing and anything connected with it?

if a lick of a pencil rubber can cause infection then why wasn't Bennings infected when the dog licked him

I've never thought of that one.
It's raining today so maybe another spin of the disc is on the menu.

A really odd thought just came to me.
If a Thing couldn't tell if another Thing was near it what would happen if it tried to assimilate it?
I think as soon as it touched the other Thing they would both realise it.

I wish there was a new commentary by Carpenter that just focused on his thoughts on how the alien worked.

While that would be excellent i suspect John would never give more away than he has already talked about, it's all about the mystery which in a way i adore.

Is there a proper The Thing thread where we can all talk about The Thing and anything connected with it?
No i don't believe there is other than the review thread. Years ago i was on the Outpost 31 site but that's changed much over the years & i think no longer has a forum its moved somewhere probably like facebook which i am not a member off.

Outpost #31 - The Ultimate THE THING Fan Site
There also this
The Thing

A really odd thought just came to me.
If a Thing couldn't tell if another Thing was near it what would happen if it tried to assimilate it?
I think as soon as it touched the other Thing they would both realise it.
Indeed another very good thought, which leads us right back to could they communicate :D

It like when we see the
Dog (Jed) & the shadow for years i thought it was Norris (even when i saw the film at the cinema when it first came out i thought this) then the Arrow remaster came out & i started to think it was Palmer, but we all know John stated that he used another person for the shot so its none of the above which really make you realise that John was
deliberately being ambiguous.

"Trust Is A Tough "Thing"

It like when we see the
Dog (Jed) & the shadow for years i thought it was Norris (even when i saw the film at the cinema when it first came out i thought this) then the Arrow remaster came out & i started to think it was Palmer, but we all know John stated that he used another person for the shot so its none of the above which really make you realise that John was
deliberately being ambiguous.

"Trust Is A Tough "Thing"
Yes for years I thought it was Norris.
It looks just like Norris.

I'll have to rewatch it later.
In fact I think I'll have a Thing Fest with watching the prequel first.

Its a good read :smashin:

I always
wondered about Blair/Mac & the vodka in the tool shed
to.
And the theory about the end scene where Mac gives the bottle to Childs and he drinks from it.
With it not being alcohol but Petrol?
Mac then laughs as he's just proved Childs is a Thing.

And the theory about the end scene where Mac gives the bottle to Childs and he drinks from it.
With it not being alcohol but Petrol?
Mac then laughs as he's just proved Childs is a Thing.
Exactly but
because it Fulks that leaves the bottle yet Mac takes a drink from it so if Mac was already a Thing which is backed up by the fact you never see him cut his thumb in the
blood test scene :D

Maybe
it's the other way around that it was Whiskey & Mac was infecting Childs at
the end o_O :D

Exactly but
because it Fulks that leaves the bottle yet Mac takes a drink from it so if Mac was already a Thing which is backed up by the fact you never see him cut his thumb in the
blood test scene :D

Maybe
it's the other way around that it was Whiskey & Mac was infecting Childs at
the end o_O :D

Possibly but then you have the Cundy eye shine clues and why would
Mac want to blow up the Blair monster at the end or the space ship?

Possibly but then you have the Cundy eye shine clues and why would
Mac want to blow up the Blair monster at the end or the space ship?
I know but you have to look at all angles well i do,
it would be a Thing in survival motive/mode last Thing standing if they cannot communicate & recognises or are even hostel to each other
but yes i think you right the theory just doesn't hold water or does it :facepalm:

All of the above is why this is still quite probably my favourite film of its genre, i mean still talking about it enjoying it after all these years & still none the wiser just brilliant.

There's so much at play here.
If Mac is infected, but doesn't know he is, when the hiding alien in him sees what he's doing ie. blowing up the ship and killing the Blair monster wouldn't it come out of Mac and stop him?

There's so much at play here.
If Mac is infected, but doesn't know he is, when the hiding alien in him sees what he's doing ie. blowing up the ship and killing the Blair monster wouldn't it come out of Mac and stop him?
It never
came out unless forced to or was busy being caught assimilating, its also playing the long game it knows it only needs to found later as motive that is it only needed one survivor (or does it) & it would be after the ultimate pay off being last, maybe the UFO was a diversion it depends on how intelligent these Things are.

Still perhaps i am reading to much into its intelligent & poker play capability :) because long story short its already won just by being here dormant in something in the ice isn't it unless fire really was its Achilles heel.

Here its size relates to its smartness etc nice idea.
The Thing (Organism)

Last edited:
Have you read the book? if not i really recommend it but i suspect a fan like yourself has of course but just in case, its even on audible.

Who Goes There?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom