I Shouldn't have bought a slow cooker.

MrFraggle

In Memoriam
Reaction score
This is not a sympathy thread so please refrain for offering any, thanks, this is more about the practicalities.

Yesterday I was given an End of Life diagnosis with no explanation as yet as my excellent GP is trying her best against hospital bureaucracy to sort out my current issues but she said that we will have a meeting to explain exactly what it means and the support etc I can expect. The diagnosis has not come as a great surprise to me what is worrying I happen to live within the worst performing health boards in Scotland as trying to have a PEG inserted so that I am not at risk of Pneumonia from food inhalation is proving a bureaucratic nightmare, fortunately I have a bloody good GP and I must namecheck Dr Rowan Calloway who showed me her face behind the mask yesterday and also informed me that I could not just drop my jeans until I had explained what the issue was in that area. :rotfl:

Will is done with everything going to a small cat charity but I want to start clearing my flat, selling everything I do not really need which will boost my legacy. But it is knowing when to start the big sell off, obviously the slow cooker will no longer be needed :D

Obviously I need the meeting with the medical professionals to hopefully give me some idea what to expect but no harm in planning ahead and getting rid of stuff I really do not need, object of the game is to make as much money as I can

Any advice, tips or funny anecdotes?

Last edited:
Posted with approval

Sorry to hear about your situation and you are very brave dealing with everything before hand and not leaving a mess like some people I know have.

Having done a couple of house clearances recently the best place for selling general stuff I have found is facebook marketplace. You won't get the best price but they come to you, no messing around with postage. If you have speciality items then maybe ebay but sellers fees are high and you will need to think about posting stuff potentially.

You could do a boot sale but you'll get a fraction of the price and I suspect with your health it wouldn't be easy.

Don't bother with house clearance places, they will offer you a fraction of the true value. Save that for the items that would have been skipped.

Other thing, as the money is going to charity have a think about donate the items, save the hassle of trying to sell them though obviously it may be a different charity. We have donate to heart foundation in the past.

BTW, depending on the particular cooker, you are looking at £5 to £10.

My local supermarket has a for sale board after the tills.

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, it's a sh*tty position to be in.
I think I am going to discuss things with the charity in the first instance as it does have a shop but does not sell furniture but they may well have avenues for these sort of items that I am unaware of.

I think I am going to discuss things with the charity in the first instance as it does have a shop but does not sell furniture but they may well have avenues for these sort of items that I am unaware of.
We've got a local charity furniture place that takes dining room table and chairs, sofas and bedframes.

We've got a local charity furniture place that takes dining room table and chairs, sofas and bedframes.
I suspect there are charities up here that take furniture but I think they need to have the fire labels these days and anyway I am looking to sell to raise money, my two piece recliner suite should have a fire label as it was bought from a charity shop by my late partner a few years back.

I suspect there are charities up here that take furniture but I think they need to have the fire labels these days and anyway I am looking to sell to raise money, my two piece recliner suite should have a fire label as it was bought from a charity shop by my late partner a few years back.
Yep, Facebook Marketplace is possibly your best bet then.

Make sure you put 'Collection Only!!' several times in the ad 😁

I had reasonably good experiences with Facebook Marketplace. You get a few nutters that need to be ignored but otherwise it’s ok.
Hats off to you MrFraggle and good luck with the sale.

What I would say is while being organised and prepared is good, don't chuck out the kitchen sink too early.

My Mother had an end-of-life diagnosis and was given 3-6 months to live. Since then she's had Covid twice and been classed as being in kidney failure twice, treatment for kidney failure only went as far as making her comfortable.
The diagnosis was 3 years ago and she celebrated her 90th last month.

You just never quite know and medicine doesn't know everything.

Wishing both you and your adopted buddy Buttons well.

I had reasonably good experiences with Facebook Marketplace. You get a few nutters that need to be ignored but otherwise it’s ok.
Hats off to you MrFraggle and good luck with the sale.
Facebook has been OK with me in the past but during and since COVID its been pretty quiet.😃😃

What I would say is while being organised and prepared is good, don't chuck out the kitchen sink too early.

My Mother had an end-of-life diagnosis and was given 3-6 months to live. Since then she's had Covid twice and been classed as being in kidney failure twice, treatment for kidney failure only went as far as making her comfortable.
The diagnosis was 3 years ago and she celebrated her 90th last month.

You just never quite know and medicine doesn't know everything.

Wishing both you and your adopted buddy Buttons well.
Oh I am with you on this as yet I have no idea on what evidence my GP has made this diagnosis though I was fully aware that my throat cancer recurrence would be a problem given my lack of treatment options and I discovered via a letter from my oncologist after I had told the cancer centre that I had no confidence in any part of it and would not be returning. My oncologist wrote me a letter which provided more information than I was given at my face to face consultations and in this letter he mentioned palliative care so I knew my future was not bright.

Hopefully my questions will be answered next week and will hopefully give me a better idea on what my preparations should be.

Oh I am with you on this as yet I have no idea on what evidence my GP has made this diagnosis though I was fully aware that my throat cancer recurrence would be a problem given my lack of treatment options and I discovered via a letter from my oncologist after I had told the cancer centre that I had no confidence in any part of it and would not be returning. My oncologist wrote me a letter which provided more information than I was given at my face to face consultations and in this letter he mentioned palliative care so I knew my future was not bright.

Hopefully my questions will be answered next week and will hopefully give me a better idea on what my preparations should be.
Wish I could give you a big hug ( that is, if you are not averse to hugs from an older woman) but as I can’t , it’ll have to be a virtual one!😻

I think that's a very good starting point. Charities do collaborate and your chosen one, particularly as the beneficiary, would I'm sure be very open to looking at creative ways of helping you help them.

I'm quietly awed by your approach. That's not sympathy, just a fact. 🐈 x

Sorry to hear of your situation, you are very brave and it’s great to see you still have a good sense of humour under the circumstances :smashin:

Now, if you happen to have a nice Linn LP12 and vinyl collection you want to part with, do let us know :thumbsup:

Joking aside, I hope all goes as well as it can for you 🙏

When I clicked on this thread I really wasn't expecting this.
I'll refrain from embarrassing you with sympathy but I will say the cat and wildlife threads won't be the same if/when that time comes. Little things like photos of cats and garden visitors on a forum do actually make a difference to people's lives, especially after the last couple of years we've had. You're part of that.
I hope you manage to make the best of whatever lies ahead for you.

And I assume you're aware you'll have to train Buttons to post selfies

Wish I could give you a big hug ( that is, if you are not averse to hugs from an older woman) but as I can’t , it’ll have to be a virtual one!😻
Older than our esteemed venerable gent @MrFraggle that's going some, but the sentiment is lovely nonetheless

I am sorry to hear this news. I remember reading when you lost your partner. Your bravery reminds me of 2 people. One was my dad who was given months to live at 50. He did exactly the same as you by selling stuff and putting affairs into order. The other was my late Father-in-law's adoptive mother.
She had us painting and decorating her flat so that when she passed in would look immaculate for the handing back to the council and even found her little dog a new family.

I am trying to think of something to lighten the mood so please don't get offended if I offer you £3.50 for the slow cooker and £2.50 towards postage costs. I can be pushed to £10 all in.

Also, are your slippers in good condition ? Please provide photos so I can see if they are my style. And do you have dentures ? asking for a friend.

Joking aside I have sold a lot through facebook market place but you can get a few nutters.
I had a stainless steel splash-back for a cooker brand new and it measured 900mm.
I was asked if it would fit a 600mm gap.
I also offered some decorative stones for free and posted pictures of them. I had one nutter wanting me to deliver them so 35 miles away for free !
But for every nutter you get a genuine case.

We had a fire surround that we bought and then changed our mind so put it up for advertisement. An elderly lady agreed a price and I said I would deliver for £5. When I got there the lady was lovely and was saying her son would fit it. Her husband was disabled and pulled me to one side and told me that the son had died a few years ago and she either had dementia or refused to accept it. He himself had been in hospital because of covid and was permanently on Oxygen.

My friend and I fitted for her and moved the old one into the shed for them. She sent me a lovely photo of it with photos on it and candles. Needless to say I waived the delivery fee. :)

I am trying to think of something to lighten the mood so please don't get offended if I offer you £3.50 for the slow cooker and £2.50 towards postage costs. I can be pushed to £10 all in.

Also, are your slippers in good condition ? Please provide photos so I can see if they are my style. And do you have dentures ? asking for a friend.
You are too late for the slow cooker as the inner ceramic bowl is now a water feature in the garden which my local cats, birds and squirrels are enjoying though not at the same time.😃

You absolutely cannot have photos of my slippers as it sounds you may well have a fetish and I Sir will not feed your bizarre tastes.

And no I do not have dentures nor in fact teeth so please apologise to your 'friend ' 😃😃

Last edited:
Anyone had any experience of 'palliative systemic therapy' I have just come accross these words in my oncology records which I requested some weeks ago and which have finally been delivered. No one has actually said these words to me and although I have Googled it would be useful to get a personal insight, perhaps a friend or relative?

Have you thought of contacting St Margaret's or their equivalent, they can offer a great deal of expert non biased advice.

There's also another service I believe, I'll try to either remember their name or find out for you.

They can also help sort things out for you.

I do appreciate this is in England but they may also be in Scotland or have a sister service.

Good luck anyway, and I hope your road is as smooth as possible.

Have you thought of contacting St Margaret's or their equivalent, they can offer a great deal of expert non biased advice.

There's also another service I believe, I'll try to either remember their name or find out for you.

They can also help sort things out for you.

I do appreciate this is in England but they may also be in Scotland or have a sister service.

Good luck anyway, and I hope your road is as smooth as possible.
I think we have Maggies up here and once I have had clarication on the diagnosis I will probably contact them as they have a place near the cancer clinic in the hospital. 😃😃

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom