Shouldn’t we have a COVID-19 vaccination certificate?

Cliff

Distinguished Member
An international certificate will probably be required so that on entering a country you can prove you have been vaccinated. Nothing unusual about this, as we still have to show certificates, like Yellow Fever, for certain countries. Covid certificates are being designed by Norway and Denmark for their citizens at this moment.
Tony Blair is looking at getting a standard certificate that will universally accepted.

With the summer holidays coming up soon, isn’t it about time our government issued them?
It would be a whole lot easier if the certificate was issued at the same time you got the jab.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
How long till counterfeiters make copies
Get a free jab vs paying to buy a counterfeit certificate which if you get caught using you have to pay even more for. Bit of a no brainer.

Of course we all know you don't really need a certificate as all it takes is to run the nanobot chip reader over the vaccinated to know they have been tagged...;)

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Gonna be a fun watch when the anti vaxxer brigade realises they shot themselves in the foot when they can't go on their summer hols .

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I dunno. It basically says "If I get it, I won't get it bad. I can still carry and spread it though" is my understanding. Only James Bond should have a license to kill.

Apparently quite a high percentage of the vaccinated think the guidelines no longer apply to them. Happy to spread it to all and sundry now they are okay.

Anyone still fretting about their summer holidays really need to get their heads out of their arses.

password1

They could set up a database, just like each person has an NHS number, National Insurance number, passport number, driving license number, car insurance policy number, etc.

Everyone's passports are checked at borders/airports before departure.

The technology is available to check whether people have had the jabs before entry onto a cruise ship or any venue or aircraft for that matter. It can be done.

The majority of people who need to travel have a smart phone...

Cliff

Distinguished Member
I think it’s important we have a certificate, because a lot of countries are talking about it now. If we don’t have one, we won’t be able to travel to those countries.

This would be an international travel vaccine certificate. As I mentioned before, there is nothing new in this. I have held a certificate for Yellow fever, Cholera and a few others.

The government should be doing this now, in parallel with the vaccine program.

(This is not about the ’phone in’ yawns who say pubs and restaurants could discriminate against anti Vaxxers. )

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
If you can still spread it a piece of paper makes no sense at all IMO.
It's like saying I have the smelliest farts on Earth. But it is okay, I have no sense of smell and I have a certificate to prove it. :)

Can you still spread Yellow fever, Cholera etc. after vaccination?

acatweasel

If you can still spread it a piece of paper makes no sense at all IMO.
It's like saying I have the smelliest farts on Earth. But it is okay, I have no sense of smell and I have a certificate to prove it. :)

Can you still spread Yellow fever, Cholera etc. after vaccination?
No vaccine can be said to totally eliminate the individual risk. Welcome to the practical definition of herd immunity. The viruses may find one, but then find it's a cul-de-sac.

You've also got to watch the "There is no evidence that vaccines prevent transmission" argument. It does not mean they won't either. We don't have the evidence yet.

The drop in figures in Israel is encouraging, and I'd be amazed if these vaccines did not drop transmission rates like a stone.

Russ_64

I think it will be logged in your NHS record but they should have thought ahead - how can people show proof they have had both shots and when. Simple solution would be an offical stamp in your passport.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
No vaccine can be said to totally eliminate the individual risk. Welcome to the practical definition of herd immunity. The viruses may find one, but then find it's a cul-de-sac.

You've also got to watch the "There is no evidence that vaccines prevent transmission" argument. It does not mean they won't either. We don't have the evidence yet.

The drop in figures in Israel is encouraging, and I'd be amazed if these vaccines did not drop transmission rates like a stone.

So true. I'm just confused why people seem to be obsessed with the notion of a certificate that may eventually prove nothing but "If I get it, I'll get it mild. I may still be able to spread it. But at least I'll get it mild".

As you say, there is no evidence either way yet. But fingers crossed.

IronGiant

There is evidence emerging that transmission may be reduced by 67%, or have I imagined that?

looking now...

IronGiant

next hit was the Daily Mail, so I won't post that :)

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
next hit was the Daily Mail, so I won't post that :)

Good to know because, apparently, around 30 percent of people who have had the first jab are not sticking to the guidance now.

acatweasel

I think some kind of certificate could make foreign travel easier.
it already exists David, something like this (I used to go to funny climes and have an equivalent).

ivcp-example-v2.png

acatweasel

BBC excerpt from our vaccine minister:

He also says the government is not looking at introducing vaccine passports for several reasons – vaccines are not mandated in the UK, it is not known what impact vaccines have on transmission and it would be “discriminatory”.

“Of course you have the evidence that you have been vaccinated held by your GP and if other countries require you to show proof that is up to those countries," he says.

"We have no plan of introducing a vaccine passport."

There’s some good potential for u-turn there if Boris decides to do so, and even more evidence that we can’t organise a booze up in a brewery.
A track and trace system that doesn’t work, complete abdication for any kind of travel control, and we wonder why we can’t stop a virus spreading. I hope to god Ebola (or worse) never gets a foothold in this country because we haven’t got a clue.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
BBC excerpt from our vaccine minister:

He also says the government is not looking at introducing vaccine passports for several reasons – vaccines are not mandated in the UK, it is not known what impact vaccines have on transmission and it would be “discriminatory”.

“Of course you have the evidence that you have been vaccinated held by your GP and if other countries require you to show proof that is up to those countries," he says.

"We have no plan of introducing a vaccine passport."

There’s some good potential for u-turn there if Boris decides to do so, and even more evidence that we can’t organise a booze up in a brewery.
A track and trace system that doesn’t work, complete abdication for any kind of travel control, and we wonder why we can’t stop a virus spreading. I hope to god Ebola (or worse) never gets a foothold in this country because we haven’t got a clue.
Whilst our government has no plans to introduce a vaccine passport or certificate of some sort they may have to in the end . If another country mandates you will only be let in if you have proof of vaccination then our government would be forced to react to that measure .

richp007

Distinguished Member
Whilst our government has no plans to introduce a vaccine passport or certificate of some sort they may have to in the end . If another country mandates you will only be let in if you have proof of vaccination then our government would be forced to react to that measure .

I said that a while back. It'll come down to what other countries want to do as well, not just what we want. Everyone is going to have to play ball in the end.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I said that a while back. It'll come down to what other countries want to do as well, not just what we want. Everyone is going to have to play ball in the end.
The big news would be if our govement required other countries proof of vaccination to be allowed in . Once one country requires it the domino's will fall , fall fast .its just the first flick of the finger required at this point .

It's a who pulls the trigger first , once done other governments have the get out clause to do the same.

Much rather have a more structured approach TBH as the OP mentions .

danmc_82

Suspended
Gonna be a fun watch when the anti vaxxer brigade realises they shot themselves in the foot when they can't go on their summer hols .

Id rather just stay in the country for the rest of my life :smashin:

Philly112

Distinguished Member
There's also going to be an issue with what passport for what vaccine. I mean, some EU countries aren't using the AZ vaccine for certain age groups. So will my passport be valid to go to France? Or South Africa?
Will we allow passports for vaccines not approved for use in the UK? So visitors from China or Russia?
And what about vaccines for new variants? If we have to have annual boosters for XYZ variant, how's that going to work or be monitored? It's going to be a can of worms, and the more I think about it, the less I'm inclined to think it's going to be workable.

acatweasel

There's also going to be an issue with what passport for what vaccine. I mean, some EU countries aren't using the AZ vaccine for certain age groups. So will my passport be valid to go to France? Or South Africa?
Will we allow passports for vaccines not approved for use in the UK? So visitors from China or Russia?
And what about vaccines for new variants? If we have to have annual boosters for XYZ variant, how's that going to work or be monitored? It's going to be a can of worms, and the more I think about it, the less I'm inclined to think it's going to be workable.
Our leaders need to make decisions. The answer to your next two questions might depend on which vaccine given. The third is yes, once they are approved. Then use the international certificate above. What’s hard about it?

We have gotten so used to being “disease free” in this country, we appear to have forgotten how to deal with it. Take a tour around Africa to see how countries with limited resources deal with it. It ain’t hard.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published