1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should you know what lamp is in your PJ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by WARR, Mar 1, 2005.

1. WARR

WARR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a strange situation today, my company sent in one of it's Infocus LP-350 projectors for a lamp replacement we have been told that the lamp is no longer available. The Infocus agent said that the lamp manufacturer doesn't exist anymore.

We have been given an "upgrade" option to a current model - LP- 540. The projector (LP-350) we have is only 3 years old and replacing the lamp would be cheaper than "upgrading". Our I.T. guy laughed it off and told me this kind thing happens with IT equipment (write it off in 12 months)

Has anyone heard of this from any other manufacturer and especially the home theatre PJ manufacturers.

The main reason I ask is I am concerned how long I should keep my PJ at home. Is there anyway of checking the brand of the lamp in the PJ and who manufactures the lamp?:rolleyes:

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    It seems that quite often the lamps are designed from scratch to fit a new projector, and they don't often use an existing lamp. So it seems that if an older pj has exhausted the supply lamps that were made for it, you're knackered. Have you tried a google or ebay search for the lamp number? It may still be available from someone.

They seem to have one here:

http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/cat2860_1.htm

Use Google UK and you never know what you might find.

Gary.

3. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Having worked in the electronics industry for a while.. albeit not in Consumer Electronics, this is a standard approach when it becomes too costly to maintain a particular product range. The company may offer an upgrade route to keep the Custom at a much reduced rate. They could also pass on an extremely high repair cost which, we the customer would find unpalatable.

The supplier would prefer to upgrade (as generally they will not lose out in costs), the customer just wants their equipment fixed for a fair price. You could try holding out for a better deal on the upgrade cost as really the supplier has the problem not being able to maintain their products and risking a poor reputation. Conversely, you have no projector.....

I do not think that knowing which manufacturer made the bulb will help. Any one of them could 'disappear'!

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC there's a legal obligation on manufacturers to have spares available for 7 odd years after manufacture.

I'd especially expect lamps to be available given they are "consumables". Will look it up.

:smoke:

5. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Kramer

I believe you are right although I am sure there is nothing in the legislation that defines price guides i.e. a lamp for a LP350, no problem Sir... that will be £650 please.... the trouble is, most manufacturers can prove economies of scale, diminishing demand and escalating manufacturing costs....