Should you be able to hear the disc going round in a Pan EX75?

neojapsz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Got my Panasonic DMR-EX75 and well impressed, only issue is noise.

Its when I put a disk in, the noise of it spinning round in its tray is very noticeable to me, I can hear it from 3 meters away, tried a number of discs from commercial movies to my burned movies the noise is the same, I can hear it spinning, its like a ticking noise, is this normal?

I do have the unit on a desk next to me and my hearing is sensitive, but I expected the fan or the hard drive to bother me if anything, not the DVD drive, I have 3 in my computer and they are far quieter.

I have the ex75 and find it the quietest machine I have had, I have just played a dvd and with my ear a few inches away can just hear the hum of the drive, so I think you have a noisy dvd drive.

Hi, this is my first post, although I have been reading the forum for ages now.
I've had my EX75 for nearly two weeks now and haven't heard a peep from it so far, except when copying from HDD to DVD.

Mine is quiet too. Is the wooden desk resonating?

I've noticed the HDD sometimes makes a little noise if I'm right next to it, but nothing really of note.

(I noticed there's something in the manual about running the machine in 'quiet' mode when copying programmes to disc. I know that's not what you're talking about, but I think that's the noisiest operation on these recorders and if you find it an issue it may be worth trying.)

I am very impressed with the quiet operation of the EX75. I have to bit sat right next to it, to hear anything. A major improvement over my previous Philips Recorder ;)

I have an EX85 which I assume should make no more noise than the EX75.
I thought it was quiet until I read this thread. I sit about 9 foot away from the machine which is on a glass shelf beneath the TV and can hear it from that distance. Not sure whether it is the disk or the fan. If it is the fan then it appears to be constantly on(when not in standby). Are people actually saying that with the TV muted that they cannot hear the machine until they are within a foot of it.

I have the EX85 and the only time I can here the drive is when I am surfing chapter points on a DVD. However any DVD player I´ve ever had made a similar noise when seeking a chapter. Other than that it is quite enough.

I rang up where i got it from RGB and they told me that a DVD disk going around in the tray is the loudest part as the motor and the laser unit are both running, and it will make more noise than the hard drive or the fan at the back.

Can anyone confirm this with theirs?

I understand noise is very subjective but if it is the loudest part then i might just have to put up with it.

I have a Panasonic DVD Player too and disks going around in that are much quiter, RGB said DVD tray and the motor are often lounder in Recorders than in players and this is quite normal. Again can anyone confirm this?

They suggested i go to currys or something and check another unit.

i have just purchase the ex75 and am experiencing the same noise problems as others on this thread , if i leave a ram disc in the tray , there is a constant fan type noise which is very noticable from 9ft away , if i leave a dvd-rw disc in the tray the noise is a lot quieter but i can hear a ticking noise as well , if i use the hard drive there is only a very slight noise if i walk right up to it.
my question is , is this acceptable as some people seem to have very silent machines , could i return it to comet as faulty and get a replacement or is it something i will have to put up with , if i have to keep it , it will be going in a cabinet with glass doors on.
other than this noise thing it is a fantastic machine.

RAM discs are a lot noisier because they stay 'spun up' to be ready for instant record.

Other types of disc should be less noisy.

The location of the machine and any reflective surfaces around it can make a great difference to the subjective impression of the noise.

thanks gavtech , i used to have a panasonic dmr-e55 recorder that hardly made any noise at all , so i think panasonic may have cut some costs on this model , do you think putting it in a cabinet with glass doors wil effect the operation of the remote control at all by making the signal weaker.

INTERESTING!!! We have literally JUST set up our EX75 and testing it with a pre recorded disc I commented to my husband on how noisy the DVD drive was! I could hear it 'whirring' from the other side of the room. Up until now we have only had a VERY cheap DVD player and this has never been a problem on that machine!!!

Is a pre-recorded disc a 'RAM' disc (as mentioned further down this post)???? Will the + and - discs I am more likely to use on the machine be quieter when being played???

It is a concern for me (as it is for others on the forum) as I am unsure whether it is 'normal' or whether maybe there is a fault with the machine (also it is an extremely irritating noise which I know will bug me!!!).

hi suet33 , + and - disc are quieter but with dvd-ram being a panasonic product you would think that they would make there machines quieter , they obviously know a ram disc spins all the time , even whan not being played.

Sorry to be a bit dense - but I don't even understand what a RAM disc is!!!!??? I realise it is a different type of disc to the + and - ones - what is the difference??? Are pre-recorded dvd's on RAM???

We need to decide whether we are keeping the EX75 or not - noise really is quite loud and don't want to have to put up with it for next couple of years!!!

ram is a recordable disc like the + and - , ram is said to be the best as it is more versatile and i believe it was invented and owned by pansonic but other manufacturers use it as well . i have though about returning mine but i think it is the best dvd recorder out there , so i will probably keep it and put up with the noise , i mainly use the hard drive anyway and that is almost silent.
try using some + and - discs and let me know if it is quieter.

tahnkyou , paul.

Hi, Don't 'put up' with any piece of equipment you are not entirely happy with. Take it back for re-fund or exchange.

Sorry to be a bit dense - but I don't even understand what a RAM disc is!!!!??? I realise it is a different type of disc to the + and - ones - what is the difference??? Are pre-recorded dvd's on RAM???

We need to decide whether we are keeping the EX75 or not - noise really is quite loud and don't want to have to put up with it for next couple of years!!!

The Panasonic is one of the quieter machines around.
The noise problem is one of disk technology rather than the machines.

It tends to be a culture shock to newcomers ... and although you think you will always notice it, in practice you wont.

For one thing disks are much noisier just after you put them in, whilst they initialise... which tends to make it more noticeable. Once you get down to watching the program material they tend to become much less intrusive.

Most people adjust to it with little trouble.

No - Commercial DVD's are not RAM disks.

You would know if you had any RAM discs.
They are considerably more expensive than other types of disc.
They have certain advantages.
They behave very much like the hard disc, can be used for timeslipping, can be edited, sections can be deleted and the space returned.
It is possible to bounce recordings losslessly to and from the hard disc always at high speed , irrespective of the 'record for high speed ' setting.

thanks gavtech , i used to have a panasonic dmr-e55 recorder that hardly made any noise at all , so i think panasonic may have cut some costs on this model , do you think putting it in a cabinet with glass doors wil effect the operation of the remote control at all by making the signal weaker.

I would not expect it to.

It is commonly done.

do you think putting it in a cabinet with glass doors wil effect the operation of the remote control at all by making the signal weaker.

I would be *very* careful with the ventilation of those machines. I stack and it is frowned on, operating behind closed doors must be a risk.

I would be *very* careful with the ventilation of those machines. I stack and it is frowned on, operating behind closed doors must be a risk.

Good point.

Do pay attention to ventilation. Very worthwhile.

thanks lads , the cabinet i have been looking at has an open back and it will be on a shelf by itself , so i think it should be ok , its only £29.99 from argos so if its no good it wont be a lot of money wasted.
it just annoyes me that it makes so much noise , im going to call into comet this weekend and take a ram disc and see if there display/demo model makes so much noise.

suet33 , have you tried yours out anymore yet , if so what are your thoughts , are you keeping it or sending it back.

sometimes worth using some sorbothane pads or a couple of cut in half squash balls under the player.....sometimes this seems to sort out noisy drives.....other option is to put a piece of slate/granite on top of the machine providing you dont block and heatsink holes.....something like a granite placemat from Argos does the trick....but do be careful with the last about heat buildup, best to try the first suggestion....

if neither of these lessen sufficiently then take the unit back, if they reckon its not a returnable reason, tell them it is as the machine is there to produce video and sound, if the machine is encroaching on the audio fidelity with its noise, then it is clearly faulty....

however as Gavtech says, modern machinery is a bit noisier due to fans and discs spinning fast.....if you pay a lot then its quieter....heh....my Denon 3910 for example is whisper quiet......my ES10 however is definitely audible....not badly, but i would notice it in quiet passages myself...

i called into comet today to try my ram disc in there demo model , the shop was a little bit noisy , so i put my ear right up to the recorder and could hardly hear anything at all , so i told them about the noise mine makes and they said they would have to send it away to there service dept to be checked which could take up to 21 working days for an answer. ive had it for nine weeks now so they couldnt exchage it , i wish i had checked it properly when i bought it now , because i could have exchanged it if i took it back within 28 days of purchase . i have purchased a cabinet with glass doors on from argos today so going to see what difference that makes tonight.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom