Should we have British Summer time all year round?

Should we have British Summer time all year round?

• No, let's keep things as they are

Votes: 448 32.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 74 5.4%
  • Let's stay with BST all year round

Votes: 639 46.4%
  • Let's do BST +1 (CET) being considered by the government

Votes: 215 15.6%

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
British summer time could be extended indefinitely in a bid to boost tourism and cut deaths on the roads, under Government plans.

Gordon Brown said abandoning putting the clock back by an hour every October was “worthy of consideration” and raised the prospect of a three-year trial.

Currently the clocks go back by one hour every October, providing more daylight in the mornings but meaning that it gets darker earlier in the afternoons.

The change has taken place annually since 1916 when clocks went back by an hour to give farmers more time to work in their fields.

Under one proposal the clocks would go forward by an hour throughout the year, not just during the summer months.

Another idea is for the clocks to go forward by an hour throughout the year, so the winter would be GMT+1 hour and the summer GMT+2.

The Prime Minister told tourism leaders in the West Country that he had been “thinking carefully” about the switch.

What do you think?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
All the reasons for DST are probably contentious , but the big one , which Im surprised Gordon Brown is not aware of in these time of Global Warming threats and Carbon taxes is the effect it has on the Electricity Grid.

By delaying sunset by One hour in the evenings , huge amounts of Energy are saved.

Daylight Saving Time - Saving Time, Saving Energy

Although , a more up to date study should be done , this time maybe the Scientists involved will keep the data for proof.

tvbox

Distinguished Member
I think it should be BST all the time. Changing the clocks etc its just pointless and confusing.

And who wants more morning? I'd say most of us would be in bed at that time. I really hate the shorter days in winter, BECAUSE of this clockback

If you do go to work early, why can't they (workplace) change their start time, not the whole nation because 90% of the whole nation does not wake up at stupid times like 6am

Which means keep it GMT+1 all the time.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
This must be a joke, we must really have lost our grip on reality to even consider this.

If you want to have more daylight in the evenings all year round you should be persuading people to get up and go to bed earlier rather than messing around with the clock.

tvbox

Distinguished Member
If you want to have more daylight in the evenings all year round you should be persuading people to get up and go to bed earlier rather than messing around with the clock.
Or, i'd say the opposite,,, yes dont mess with the clock but keep it BST all the time, makes you less misarable in the evenings, and those SAD lights are expensive.

I dont care waking up when it's dark but i dont like getting on with short days.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Personally I absolutely HATE it when the clocks go back in October. It's like the start of 6 months of depression.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
But we tried this experiment 40 years ago.

It was supposed to run for 3 years but was so unpopular it was abandoned after the first winter.

Why are those with short memories forcing us to go through it all again?

Curly99

Distinguished Member
But we tried this experiment 40 years ago.

It was supposed to run for 3 years but was so unpopular it was abandoned after the first winter.

Why are those with short memories forcing us to go through it all again?
I remember that, they gave us fluorescent jackets and arm bands so we were safe and seen on the way to and from school.

Dogma21

Personally I absolutely HATE it when the clocks go back in October. It's like the start of 6 months of depression.
Me too I hate it when the clocks go back and can't wait for BST to start again so we have light evenings.

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
Just keep BST all year, no need to change the clocks at all.

norliss

Or we could even just move forward one hour and align ourselves with the majority of mainland Europe. Business would certainly think that to be a good thing.

moistmuffin

Standard Member
For those of us who live in Scotland, this idea is a bit rubbish. (But then again, it's a Raith Rovers fan who's raising it...)

From November to January up here it is dark between 4pm and 8am so the extra hour would mean that it would be dark between 5pm and 9am.

This will only benefit people who don't get up in the morning and who will be home, or at least away from work, at 4pm

I don't think they've thought this through...

Kostas

no i want shorter days so i can use my projector more plus living in greece for 20 years made me hate the constant sunlight. btw, people still believe in man made global warming? :rolleyes:

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
It's amazing the number of people who think that altering the clocks will make daylight longer and the weather better! :facepalm:

Sonic67

Banned
We gave the world GMT it would be a shame if we didn't use it. As Al Murray says, the Germans can't have dinner till we say it's time.

Wilseus

Novice Member
We gave the world GMT it would be a shame if we didn't use it.
I'm sure that's one of the reasons the EU want us to ditch it!

Kostas

It's amazing the number of people who think that altering the clocks will make daylight longer and the weather better! :facepalm:
i dont think anybody believes that. however during the winter it will take away an extra hour from morning when people sleep or work and give an extra one during the afternoon/evening or is it too hard for you to understand this?

rasputin

Standard Member
I think it should be BST all the time. Changing the clocks etc its just pointless and confusing.

And who wants more morning? I'd say most of us would be in bed at that time. I really hate the shorter days in winter, BECAUSE of this clockback

If you do go to work early, why can't they (workplace) change their start time, not the whole nation because 90% of the whole nation does not wake up at stupid times like 6am

Which means keep it GMT+1 all the time.
I always look forward to putting the clocks forward as I know summer? is on it's way.
I do like lighter nights so I would go for the + 1 hour every time.:clap:

echrada

Banned
I live in Scotland and anyone here will tell you blaming the Scots for all the nonsense about daylight saving time is b.s. Let us just make it nice and simple BST alll year every year, leave the clock turning to the Americans.

Sonic67

Banned
i dont think anybody believes that. however during the winter it will take away an extra hour from morning when people sleep or work and give an extra one during the afternoon/evening or is it too hard for you to understand this?
If we kept CET all year round, children would be going to school in the dark in Winter in Northern Britain. It's the main reason for concern. Should they be at risk so we can have an evening of daylight in winter? It's not like we'd be sitting out in the garden.

Schools tend to close around 15.30. Not really affected by an extra hour of daylight in the evening. It would be light with GMT or BST. However in the morning the extra hour of daylight there is the difference between going to school in the daylight or not.

Last edited:

Squigg

Personally I think we should be on GMT all year round.

This notion of giving farmers more time to work their fields is nonsense, do you think they pay any attention to the actual time?, They'll be looking at sunrise and sunset.