Should we change the lyrics to the national anthem?

Should we change the lyrics to the national anthem?

• Yes

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 57.1%

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Prompted by this thread asking about the relevance of the lyrics, what do you think?
Is the objection just to the reference to God, which doesn't exist for many people or is different for others?
Or should the national anthem make less reference to the monarchy also?

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
It should be Jerusalem, sod the Scots/welsh/Irish - they want devolution anyhow.

*humour.

travid

Distinguished Member
BB3Lions said:
It should be Jerusalem, sod the Scots/welsh/Irish - they want devolution anyhow.

*humour.

Leave us out of the devolution debate please:clap:

D

Deleted member 293381

*humour.

That's right - the odds and sods on the periphery have their own anthems, it's about time the English had an anthem. :D

Seriously, God Save The Queen is well past it's sell-by date and a completely new anthem is needed to reflect our society as it is now (in loose general terms of course).

Also, the new anthem should stay clear of any references to the monarchy and religion or deities.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I voted no as I like GSTQ but if an overwhelming majority want to change it (via referendum) then I will proudly sing the new anthem as I do currently with GSTQ

Sonic67

Banned
The Queen is the head of the C of E. How are you going to leave out God?

Solar

No, but England, Scotland, Wales and NI should have their very own anthems to represent the country, as the UK itself is not actually a country, it is a corporat....err a sovereign state.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Wouldn't matter to me, I don't know our current anthem - I'm not sure a new one would perk interest.

simon ess

I can't answer yes or no. I think we need a new anthem to reflect the nation we are now.

I find the GSTQ/K offensive, both musically and lyrically.

gibbsy

No, certainly not.

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau is perfectly fine and quite stirring actually.:smashin:

Dextur

Distinguished Member
The Queen is the head of the C of E. How are you going to leave out God?

She's many things that are not mentioned in the anthem though.

Why is that part of her so vital , the anthem should be inclusive of all of GB .

To my mind that means it needs some tweaking, we sure a hell don't rule the waves.

Maybe it's time for some new lyrics.

Something that doesn't alienate many folks and one that is more in keeping with us in 2012.

D

Deleted member 51156

We could include topics such as benefits,umemployment,recession,divorce,infidelity,tv soaps,swearing,bargain booze,drugs,suicide,bankers,rain,gangsters,consumerism,facebook,diy...
Probably a few more....:D

Switch625

They should change it to "Bond save the Queen"

We all know he exists, we saw him take her to the opening ceremony. And if she ever did need saving, we all know he's the man for the job.

GloopyJon

Distinguished Member
Even though I'm an atheist, I don't think we should change the first verse because it's a significant part of our tradition. It could be good to add a new second verse, although it would be hard to write something that wouldn't sound very kitschy.

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Personally I think we could do with a change, lyrics yes, but mostly the tune itself.

I'd get rid of references to god and the queen. I don't think it's particularly relevant and at the end of the day who's going to get upset?... certainly not a fabricated deity (which as far as I can see exists purely to scare young children) or the queen, she's got to be seriously pig sick of listening to that turgid tune. I'm pretty sure most of the time she just wants to go home, put some comfy pants on and watch Eastenders.

The national anthem is just too long. At sporting events you're hanging around for ages whilst this tawdry drivel drones on. I feel sorry for anyone suffering from Narcolepsy... "God save our... ZZZzzzzzzzzzz".

However, there are other mistakes to be made, take the Italian national anthem. Who on earth thought It would be a good idea to have a key change half way through. That's what lazy musicians do when they run out of ideas mid song (Chris de Burgh, Billy Joel, et al.). A national anthem isn't so long that you require a key change.

...so in short I'd go for a bland innocuous lyric that absolutely doesn't cause offence to absolutely everyone globally (also Organic and Dolphin friendly) and I'd go for a brief peppy tune, something along the lines of that very fine accompanying music to the 'Go Compare' TV advertisements.

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom