1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should We Be Concerned?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rasczak, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    ZDNet has posted this article announcing that BluRay discs will use Java for "menus, network services and games". Of particular note though is this quote:

...now I can see the benefits of such a network solution but the cynic in me can't help but think that maybe this could also form part of the regional protection/copy protection setup. Guess we'll have to wait and see but would be viable to insist all BluRay players have access to a broadband internet connection/telephone line?

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    One would have to buy kit from Australia where regional encoding is illegal, but then I guess they could check your IP location.

Perhaps it's time to start an IP location spoofing business. :)

StooMonster

3. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    If you wanted Blu Ray to go mass market then surely the "Cant watch films unless you have broadband" idea is going to have the opposite effect ?

I'm more worried about a format war, come on guys sort it out & make it simple to use. If you mess up both BR & HD-DVD we may be stuck with low rez PAL & NTSC forever !!!

:confused:

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    That's a scary thought, but it'll never happen. They rely on early adopters like us, the kind of people who wouldn't ever accept such a ridiculous scheme.

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    One thing that has been announced about BluRay format is that it contains Sun Microsystems' Java technology.

Java was originally conceived as a consumer device technology, it's just taken a while to get there! Although has had some measure of success on mobile phones.

http://news.com.com/Java+to+appear+in+next-gen+DVD+players/2100-1046_3-5766409.html

Java will run all the disc menus and interactivity on BluRay discs.

StooMonster