• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

should up close PQ be pixelated and blurry???

Glen1977

Established Member
Got a B8 55” and i was watching the football on Sky Sports yesterday. Bearing in mind this is in HD, i stood right next to the screen all a close of crowd scene and all the people’s faces were pixelated/blurred, the Sky Sports logo was very ‘bitty’. Now to me I’d expect a lot better quality, but is it me expecting too much or is something not right? Have I not connected something or do i need to alter something? It’s not just this programme it’s all of them! I’m really hoping it’s something that’s been missed rather than this is how it is, in which case I’d be very disappointed and wonder why I spent this amount of money. FYI I did buy a high speed 4k HDMI in the hope I’d be covered on that aspect, so it can’t be that? I’ve asked Sky and they say my TV comes via a dish which is connected to the main box. I’ve connected the HDMI from this box to the TV, have i missed something? Does my dish need checking or re-positioning?

Glen1977

Established Member
It’s a Sky Q 1TB box, yes I’ve set it to 1080 and tried it on the i and p versions. I just can’t believe this is the correct quality I’m seeing. I’ll take some photos this evening as I’m desperate to fix this! I do have an ‘aerials’ guy coming out this Saturday to fit a new wall mount maybe I’ll ask for his advice too. Plus got a Sky engineer coming to fit the 2TB box, again hoping he may have some ideas.

D

Deleted member 171211

Sounds as though it's being heavily compressed byvtransmission. Have a look at some of the 4k clips on YouTube for examples of what your TV can do. There's a clip of Petra that's excellent and s good clip of Venice as well.

Glen1977

Established Member
Ok so if those clips look crisp sharp up close then there’s nowt I can do? I can’t believe a hd image should look that bad still!

MJ9264

Established Member
Are you watching in standard picture mode. The very blue white balance setting of the standard mode on LG OLEDs makes faces look whiter and so detail stands out more so shows up the lack of detail in compressed broadcasts, especially faces imo.

Glen1977

Established Member
Are you watching in standard picture mode. The very blue white balance setting of the standard mode on LG OLEDs makes faces look whiter and so detail stands out more so shows up the lack of detail in compressed broadcasts, especially faces imo.
I’ve tried all the modes and none actually improve the actual resolution. I will post images tonight to show you all what I’m seeing.

MJ9264

Established Member
Also with respect to the dish it will either work or won’t work the dish positioning won’t affect the quality of the image or anything. It doesn’t compress more if the dish isn’t properly aligned it’s just more likely you’ll experience picture breakup. Same for hdmi cable, it would produce a lot worse symptoms if it was faulty.

logiclee

Prominent Member
Not sure whether they still do but Sky used to record football in 720P. (1280x720)

That still leaves a fair bit of upscaling for the TV to do so don't expect crystal sharp images up close.
comparison-of-4k-resolutions.jpg

On top of that Sky use a fair amount of compression on their HD channels.

It would help if you listed all the settings you are using.

Lee

Glen1977

Established Member
Not sure whether they still do but Sky used to record football in 720P. (1280x720)

That still leaves a fair bit of upscaling for the TV to do so don't expect crystal sharp images up close.
comparison-of-4k-resolutions.jpg

On top of that Sky use a fair amount of compression on their HD channels.

It would help if you listed all the settings you are using.

Lee
Problem is Lee I don’t know what the best picture mode is as I’ve yet to find one that looks really good plus I’m more concerned at the actual PQ. Once I get that sorted I can then sort the modes. Feel free to offer some settings! Daytime it’s pretty light in the living room with a bay window to the right and french doors to the left. Night time we have the lights on although not at full brightness probably half way.

logiclee

Prominent Member
Problem is Lee I don’t know what the best picture mode is as I’ve yet to find one that looks really good plus I’m more concerned at the actual PQ. Once I get that sorted I can then sort the modes. Feel free to offer some settings! Daytime it’s pretty light in the living room with a bay window to the right and french doors to the left. Night time we have the lights on although not at full brightness probably half way.

ISF light room and ISF Dark Room are good starting points.

If you have been playing then reset them to default.

Then turn off noise reduction, super resolution, motion eye care, trumotion and dynamic contrast.

From there adjust the OLED light to suit your room environment.

What viewing distance are you at?

Although SkyQ 1TB can output 1080i/p and SkyQ 2TB can output 2160P Sky's HD material is compressed at Native 720P or 1080i so will still look slightly soft up close on a 4k set.

Glen1977

Established Member
ISF light room and ISF Dark Room are good starting points.

If you have been playing then reset them to default.

Then turn off noise reduction, super resolution, motion eye care, trumotion and dynamic contrast.

From there adjust the OLED light to suit your room environment.

What viewing distance are you at?

Although SkyQ 1TB can output 1080i/p and SkyQ 2TB can output 2160P Sky's HD material is compressed at Native 720P or 1080i so will still look slightly soft up close on a 4k set.
Ok will reset and try those settings. I sit about 8-10ft away.

D

Deleted member 171211

Yep, it looks nowhere as good now as it did when HD first launched. I remember being wowed by it, I don't feel wowed even by Sky's 4K material (I did when I watched my first 4K Youtube clips, however).

Have a look at this clip on your TV and see what you think.

In fact, any of the stuff on this guy's channel should give you an idea of what Sky *should* be aiming for. Amazing Places on Our Planet

Glen1977

Established Member
Ok I’ve just taken these up close pictures, all from HD channels. Please tell me this isn’t what I should expect!!!

Attachments

• 55C56028-27EF-4B12-83DC-7E83BA375705.jpeg
    55C56028-27EF-4B12-83DC-7E83BA375705.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 159
  • C8F72C98-84B0-4D74-A6B4-3A41C154B141.jpeg
    C8F72C98-84B0-4D74-A6B4-3A41C154B141.jpeg
    8.5 MB · Views: 149
  • 6A893F0C-E996-48FA-95AF-399925CB46E5.jpeg
    6A893F0C-E996-48FA-95AF-399925CB46E5.jpeg
    8.8 MB · Views: 150
  • A1214DF7-90D8-4A6B-BAD8-2F25B6ED1878.jpeg
    A1214DF7-90D8-4A6B-BAD8-2F25B6ED1878.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 153
  • B8D85C5C-B050-4FC3-B8AA-9CEE25C858B1.jpeg
    B8D85C5C-B050-4FC3-B8AA-9CEE25C858B1.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 131
  • 88ECF88C-5FDD-428A-9EA6-1FA67FAD66E8.jpeg
    88ECF88C-5FDD-428A-9EA6-1FA67FAD66E8.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 142
  • FE61B4C6-5E9B-499C-8EA5-B909EBFC6DF1.jpeg
    FE61B4C6-5E9B-499C-8EA5-B909EBFC6DF1.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 148

SeeMoreDigital

Prominent Member
@Glen1977,

What does BBC4 HD look like via Freeview compared to your Sky HD box?

SeeMoreDigital

Prominent Member
I have freeview? I’ve not seen that anywhere?
Yes your LG television has a Freeview [DVB-T/T2] tuner (and also a Freesat tuner). Do you have a UHF aerial on your roof together with coax cable etc?

Glen1977

Established Member
All I know is I have an aerial looking cable tied up as it’s not being used. Don’t know what a uhf is or a coax cable!

SeeMoreDigital

Prominent Member
If the cable has one of these connector plugs at the end: -

41kJdLPyzCL._SX450_.jpg

...then (hopefully) it's still connected to a UHF aerial/antenna on your roof. If so, plug it into your TV and perform a scan...

Glen1977

Established Member
If the cable has one of these connector plugs at the end: -

41kJdLPyzCL._SX450_.jpg

...then (hopefully) it's still connected to a UHF aerial/antenna on your roof. If so, plug it into your TV and perform a scan...
It looks like what I’ve attached and it hooks up to what you see in the other image, it makes no sense to me! Will I cause any harm by connecting this loose end into the tv, that is if there’s somewhere to connect it to?

Attachments

• 8CCB8051-E1E9-42D3-A756-03AA626815CF.jpeg
    8CCB8051-E1E9-42D3-A756-03AA626815CF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 132
  • B58B55FF-77AA-4BDE-85A5-09E4E3C998F1.jpeg
    B58B55FF-77AA-4BDE-85A5-09E4E3C998F1.jpeg
    788.5 KB · Views: 380

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Ok I’ve just taken these up close pictures, all from HD channels. Please tell me this isn’t what I should expect!!!
Those photos clearly do not look right. That news broadcaster in particular looks like a cel-shaded cartoon character.

Not sure why it would look like that. If it were me I'd try a factory reset on the TV and take a look again.

If it still doesn't look right, then obviously try to watch some other content. Does it look like that on YouTube or any of the on-demand apps on the TV directly? If those look good, then try other devices connected by HDMI (if only to rule out faulty HDMI ports). If it's just the Sky box, then at least you know it's not the TV at fault.

If there's no Avforums recommended settings here then also give rtings.com a look and try their recommended settings.

Last edited:

SeeMoreDigital

Prominent Member
Hi again,

The connector at the end of the 'blue' ringed cable is an F-plug, which is primarily used for satellite or cable TV reception. So no, that lead wont do.

However, in the picture you submitted below, on the right, through the cut-out hole, I can just see what looks like a conventional aerial socket/outlet plate. This is the one you need to receive DVB-T/T2 television signals.

b58b55ff-77aa-4bde-85a5-09e4e3c998f1-jpeg.1111072

Cheers

Glen1977

Established Member
Hi again,

The connector at the end of the 'blue' ringed cable is an F-plug, which is primarily used for satellite or cable TV reception. So no, that lead wont do.

However, in the picture you submitted below, on the right, through the cut-out hole, I can just see what looks like a conventional aerial socket/outlet plate. This is the one you need to receive DVB-T/T2 television signals.

b58b55ff-77aa-4bde-85a5-09e4e3c998f1-jpeg.1111072

Cheers
Thanks, so the above black cable isn’t actually connected to anything could this be the cause of my poor picture quality?

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
I’m suspecting a connection error. Did Sky install it and have you changed what they did in any way?
What are the connections at your Sky box? It should have two cables with f connectors like the black cable you were holding in one of your pics which come directly from your dish and an hdmi cable running from it to the TV. A photo of the back of the box might help us understand what’s going on.
Edit, just noticed you’ve got Sky coming soon to fit a 2tb box. They will sort it if you’re lost.
Don’t let him leave until you’re happy.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom