1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should THX endorse Disney DVD discs?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by AOD, Sep 2, 2001.

1. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    While browsing through my DVD collection I came across one of the more recent Disney titles<br />(The Emperor's New Groove) and started thinking about the implications of THX certification or<br />accreditation for a particular film.

What I mean is this. Disney has come up with it's own "flavour" of DVD that they call "Disney DVD". The films do not sport the "DVD Video" logo, thus the discs don't have to conform to whatever the rules for DVD Video are although you could argue that they bloomin' well should. This is fairly shoddy behaviour on the part of Disney<br />and as several folks will attest, has caused problems for all sorts of machines from budget supermarket models all the way up to serious wedge level kit such as Tag McLaren.

The average punter when he sees the THX logo will probably assume that the discs meets some kind<br />of stringent guidelines and take the disc home happy in the knowledge that all should be well.

My thought is this? Do you think it's right for THX to effectively endorse discs that are not "DVD Videos"?<br />I can't help but feel that this is lending an air of undeserved respectability to the games that Disney are playing.

What say the rest of you good folks?

Can I just add that I'm aware the DVD Video specs aren't a guarantee that all will be well and that I understand that there will be issues with "interpretation" by both hardware and software manufacturers.

Should we lobby THX to stop endorsing such "non-standard" discs?

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Simply THX should not endorse Disney DVDs. I object to this.

Why can't Disney stick with the standard like everyone else. I stopped buying Disney products when I realised this.

I vote with my my wallet.

3. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Personally I dont care whether they're called "DVD Video" or "Disney DVD", they're round and shiny, and fit in my dvd player slot, and make pretty pictures and gorgeous sounds, so why complain?

Go put on the Toy Story R1 and tell me that it's not up to dvd standard.

As for THX, I'm afraid I gave up on the idea that a THX endorsed DVD means anything. I have so many titles that have poor video and audio transfers yet still get THX endorsed. And how about THX endorsed VHS, I wont even start on that.

THX means something in terms of speakers and amplifiers, but after that I dont personally take much notice.

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Why complain?

Well lets see, how about because Disney are blatantly ignoring an established industry standard when producing their DVDs.

Yes Toy Story R1 is a cracking disc, but in what way does that excuse the problems experienced by folks with titles such as Dinosaur and Emperor's New Groove?

I don't think it's appropriate that THX are endorsing a product that is blatantly non-standard. Whether it works on your machine or not is beside the point.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Disney, like any other studio, have to pay THX a certain amount to use their certification. THX don't give a toss really. If they did, their standards would be a lot higher.

THX means nothing on DVDs. It's used a martketing tool (I got this directly from the senior VP of home entertainment of a large, well known studio, in person). There are bad discs with the THX label on. There are discs with audio faults with the THX label on. There are discs with bad authoring, to the point of not being playable in some plays with the THX label on. This shows that their standards are either **** poor to begin with or badly implemented.

What THX should be doing is making a rigorous set of standards in several areas and not letting their badge go on discs that do not adhere.

These are some of things I would like to see:

<ul type="square">[*]Anamorphic widescreen where appropriate (i.e. all films with an aspect ratio of 1.66:1 or wider)[*]Higher standards of source materials[*]Higher standards of compression (i.e. the film takes priority, not all the junk extra material)[*]Player compatibility improved[*]Dolby Digital 5.1 at 448kbps with no exceptions[*]No cock-ups. Audio mismastering seems to be a particular problem with them[*]Always include a 2.0 track when 5.1 is the main option to eliminate the need for bass downmixing[*]Particular attention payed to the positioning of the layer change so as to interrupt the film as little as possible<br />[/list]

As the scheme works now, it's useless. Actually it's worse than useless because people think they're getting something extra when they're not.

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I don't have any problems with Disney DVDs, most of them are very good. As for the logo thing, I think that we may be misundertanding Disneys motives for this. In any case there are plenty of so called problem discs that do have the official logo. There is no excuse for a player not playing Disneys DVDs properly, if they do have a problem they should fix it rather then blame Disney. After all the vast majority of players play the discs just fine.

Jeff

8. avelagapudi

avelagapudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be wrong but if Disney DVDs did not conform to a certain spec then surely they would not work on any machine.

If they work on certain machines and not others, then isn't it the machine/manufacturer to blame for not supporting the full DVD specification ?

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arry - I'll give you an example. I've got a Pioneer Elite DV-09. It plays every single title I can throw at it without a hitch. However Disneys Dinosaur will not pause properly. This is the only disc I have problems with. Disney came out with all this bull about certain players not being compatible etc - hogwash. They didn't test the disc properly. And my player was not the only one to have problems. That title tripped up a lot of different types.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Morning All,

Personally, as long as the film is good both audibally and visually, is in its correct widescreen ratio, and has some worthwhile extras, AND the price isn't too bad, then I'm not too fussed about the discs being THX-endorsed.

As for the Disney DVD logo thing, again, personally it doesn't bother me. I don't think that Disney DVD's are much different to those titles with the DVD Video logo on them. As long as all the previously-stated criteria are fulfilled, then I'm a happy chappie!

Pooch

<br />P.S. For the person who didn't think Disney DVD's were much cop, then I suggest you check out the Region 1 double-DVD Collector's Edition of "A Bug's Life", as well as the "Toy Story" 3 DVD Boxed Set! That should definitely change your mind!

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    Pooch... until the DVD doesn't work in your player.