1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should this happen after installing a second hard-drive?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Bexlee, May 4, 2003.

1. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since installing a Seagate Barracuda 80GB (Windows 98SE) my computer's start-up has been much slower.

The opening Bios screen shows for at least twice as long as it did with a single Hard-drive, as the RAM counts up to 256 slowly in increments of 2. The 'beep' that indicates the operating system opening is now also a longer sound. :confused:

However, once operating, everything seems fine (so far).

Is this what I should expect, or is this a symptom of a problem I need to get sorted?

Bexlee

2. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    this is not normal - when you incorporate a 2nd drive, boot up is fractionally slower but not enough to significantly slow your system down - the ram count has nothing to do with the drives so I suggest that you go into cmos and change the settings for memory count on boot up, also, check that cmos has correctly recognised your second drive and that the indicated specs for it is correct.

3. Bexlee

Bexlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks gargoyle

I am a novice and don't know what cmos is! Could you please tell me how to do what you suggest?

Bexlee

4. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Easy.
    As your computer boots up, press the delete key repeatedly until a blue screen appears - this is cmos and enables you to change parameters within the motherboard and its secondary components (graphic cards, sound, hard drives memory etc).
    Check that the 2nd hard drive is correctly configured.
    The memory counter has two modes for checking memory - choose the quick option.
    Also, did you check that the 2nd hard drive was correctly jumpered as the primary/slave? make sure that the ide cables are pushed all the way in and that they're the right way round.
    If your not familiar with some of the parameter names/functions found within cmos, pm me and I'll try to shed some light - alternatively, there is a very good website which will tell you everything you need to know about the cmos enviroment - I don 't have the full website address but the site is called www.rojakpot.com and is very comprehensive.
    Good luck!