Should there be vaccine passports?

Should there be vaccine passports?

• Yes

Votes: 100 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 100 41.2%
  • Yes for only for big crowd functions (like holidays + festivals)

Votes: 43 17.7%

• Total voters

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
I think the vaccine passports for nightclubs are a sensible idea, I am all for opening up yesterday on the whole, and am quite confident about it all, but requiring the passports for a setting like nightclubs and busy and close knitted events is a sensible idea short term.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Considering successive governments, and this one, in particular, have failed completely to deliver any remotely large-scale IT project, what are the odds of this happening in the next 6-8 weeks?

I'm not against it. I just think it will be another mismanaged screw-up in a long line of continuous screw-ups of policies, systems, laws, advice, facts, statements, etc.

jabintendo

I'm happy they are introducing this.

We can all find circumstances where this be will harsh on some people who medically cannot take the vaccine. But majority of people who are not taking the vaccine watch a 5min video on YouTube about the 'dangers' of the vaccine decide not to believe in the the government 'lies' and they are smarter than the general public by refusing to take them.

At least this will force a few more people to get the vaccine, which will intern make it safer for people who can't get the vaccine in the future.

jabintendo

Considering successive governments, and this one, in particular, have failed completely to deliver any remotely large-scale IT project, what are the odds of this happening in the next 6-8 weeks?

I'm not against it. I just think it will be another mismanaged screw-up in a long line of continuous screw-ups of policies, systems, laws, advice, facts, statements, etc.

There is an option to show your covid pass on the NHS app so hopefully they can use that.

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
I'm happy they are introducing this.

We can all find circumstances where this be will harsh on some people who medically cannot take the vaccine. But majority of people who are not taking the vaccine watch a 5min video on YouTube about the 'dangers' of the vaccine decide not to believe in the the government 'lies' and they are smarter than the general public by refusing to take them.

At least this will force a few more people to get the vaccine, which will intern make it safer for people who can't get the vaccine in the future.
If someone cannot medically take the vaccine then you have an underlying health condition I would assume, so why would you want to take that risk of being in such close quarters in lets be honest a 'dirty' surrounding like a nightclub? At least right now anyway.

Judge Mental

I'm enjoying how angry this has made my anti vaxxer friend. 🤣
I must admit to having exactly the same feeling about a member of my family who refuses to get vaccinated and today she’s been ranting about how unfair the situation is. I have zero sympathy with this argument. It’s perfectly possible to give an exemption certificate to anyone that is clinically unable to have the vaccination as long as they accept the risks to their own health of entering such a venue.

I do hope that this nudges the apathetic towards getting vaccinated to avoid being unable to access clubs, stadiums and the like.

The exempt could include children (not for entry to clubs obviously but to sports events etc)

Morden

Isn't that a scene from Blade? The vampire nightclub just before they fire up the blood shower.
I wouldn't have twigged if someone hadn't mentioned Pomerania in the main covid thread, coincidence or are connections becoming apparent now? Does anyone have the stats for transylvania handy?
It does look like it.
I forgot about the dog in blade 3.

I'll have rewatch blade again soon.

Last edited:

Apocalyptic Monk

The Israeli govt pretty much admitted that their 'green pass' system was in large part to encourage (some say coerce) younger people to get the vaccine. I don't think it's a coincidence that this vaxport announcement comes at a time of cratering vaccine uptake among young people.

Apocalyptic Monk

As I posted on the other thread, Vallance said recently that the reduction in transmission for vaxxed vs unvaxxed is about 50%. According to ZOE, the case numbers among vaxxed are already outstripping the unvaxxed as expected, so as the proportion of cases among vaxxed vs unvaxxed increases, the statistical advantage of only being around the vaxxed diminishes and even reverses if/when cases among vaxxed reach the relevant multiple of those unvaxxed..

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Allergies? Previous negative reactions to other vaccinations? Are you seriously saying that people who cannot have the vaccination should never be allowed in a nightclub?

Get your jabs people. But let's not pretend that this is a road we want to go down
I don't know anyone who wants to go down that road.
It is a matter of which is the least disliked.

LisaB

Medical exemptions will be included - specific details on which groups will be exempt still to be outlined. The only people going to be hampered by this are the anti-vaxxers and they deserve whatever happens to them anyway. Making venues double vaxxed/medically exempt only and making negative PCR test results invalid is all to encourage the last stubborn few million still unvaccinated.

Which is mostly those in clubbing age. As it was revealed yesterday that 35% of 18-30s still aren't vaccinated.

hamsters1

I have some reservations about vaccine passports but on balance think it's necessary but I think it would need to be reviewed in 12 months time as I think eventually the virus will be more manageable.

ostewart

Personally I trust the science behind the vaccine and understand it will hopefully prevent serious illness amongst those vaccinated. But I don't think it should be mandatory to have the vaccine as 40% of hospital admissions have had both doses and the vaccine doesn't prevent you from contracting or spreading the virus.

Two negative tests before going to an event should be sufficient and the way forward.

Judge Mental

Personally I trust the science behind the vaccine and understand it will hopefully prevent serious illness amongst those vaccinated. But I don't think it should be mandatory to have the vaccine as 40% of hospital admissions have had both doses and the vaccine doesn't prevent you from contracting or spreading the virus.

Two negative tests before going to an event should be sufficient and the way forward.
Then let those who choose not to be vaccinated pay for those tests themselves.

Apocalyptic Monk

The point is, are you happy to have a vaccinated person spread and give you Covid at the venue you're attending? With such a high proportion of hospitalised cases being double vaxxed and more cases being vaxxed than not, it seems nonsensical to stop unvaccinated from entering, tested or not, but give the vaccinated free rein to potentially infect others.

ostewart

That would be fine in my opinion.

But barring unvaccinated people is morally wrong in my opinion.

As the above poster put, it's fine for vaccinated people to go out and catch/spread but unvaccinated are being punished. Again 60% of hospital admissions are unvaccinated, that means the other 40% are vaccinated, that's quite a high proportion. So the vaccine clearly isn't as effective as initially thought (was supposed to minimise hospitalisation/strain on the NHS).

I do understand that in theory if you've been vaccinated you shouldn't get it as bad or die, but if you end up hospitalised we're back to the whole "strain on the NHS" thing.

BrightonChris

Suspended
If the consequences are too severe then it isn’t a choice. Right now it’s just night clubs. If you think it’ll stop there then I’d say that’s naive

inkinoo

Distinguished Member
If the consequences are too severe then it isn’t a choice. Right now it’s just night clubs. If you think it’ll stop there then I’d say that’s naive
Already talking about sports events with more than 20k people.

I have zero time for anti vaxxers and feel the number of people who can’t have the vaccine but are not clinically vulnerable is low enough that it’s worth the negatives.

No solution is perfect but feel this balances public safety and the ability to return to doing what we did pre pandemic.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 4th August 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett