Should The Xbox Be Vertical Or Horizontal ?

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Hey All,

Is there known problems with the 360 if you have it positioned vertically ??
Have heard a few friends say it should be positioned like a DVD Player but mine is on its side and i have had no problems......do i have it the wrong way ?

Also a Hard Drive Question, a friend wants to get a harddrive to store his photo's, music and movies on and to connect via the 360 i know it has to formatted to FAT32 or some apple format but does it have to be powered ??
I know it does need to be with some DVD Players with USB's.

Cheers

Deftones82:thumbsup:

B

bowzaflem

there are many answers to this question,

it has a lot to do with airflow and the surface it standing / lying on.

The main air input is the side of the unit where if mounted vertical it will be stood upon, so if standing on a glass or other smooth surface then its fine vertical, if you are standing on a carpet this will then block the main source of cold air into the system.

Also others say the laser has to do less re reads if the unit is mounted flat like a dvd, but i have seen no reason for this, in anything i have read recently.

I would mount however allows best air around the unit so it can breath and stay coolest.

Bowza

King Tones

Distinguished Member
It is vertical and on a smooth surface and not surrounded by anything had it for a few months and had no problems but some dude in gamestation was having a rant about it saying it would scratch all my disks ?!?!?!

Cheers for your advice guys:smashin:

gingerjedi

Novice Member
Hey All,

Also a Hard Drive Question, a friend wants to get a harddrive to store his photo's, music and movies on and to connect via the 360 i know it has to formatted to FAT32 or some apple format but does it have to be powered ??
I know it does need to be with some DVD Players with USB's.

Cheers

Deftones82:thumbsup:
Not if the drive doesnt require it (mostley small laptop style drives) but its still a good Idea to get a double usb cable, it uses ones socket for power and data and the other just for power.

I have stored mine both ways and it is currently vertical as it was on top of my sky+ box and I am on my 4 box yet on my 1st 360. :eek:

Regarding the scratch thing, my rainbow 6 game cracked on the inside rim while horizontal and I do like it more that its tucked nicely to the side of the tv :smashin:

Immortaleffectz

Novice Member
My 360 is lay on its side in the open. I have the intercooler on the back and its never caused me any problems so far "touch wood"

tomandjo2

Novice Member
The main airflow 'in' is opposite end to HDD, if verticle best rasie unit slightly to increase gap, this alone will eliminate the need for extra cooling fans.

Tom

Immortaleffectz

Novice Member
Maybe but like i say i had it a while with no problems so i going ride it as long as possible.:)

beaker656

Novice Member
Just remember never to move the console from vertical to horizontal or vice versa when powered up with a disc in, you'll be asking for trouble :oops:

Jay

Banned
It honestly makes no difference. The 360 is designed to be used either horizontally or vertically. It's quite funny when the idots in game ask (when your 360 dies) "did you have you're xbox horizontally...ah it should have been vertically...." ARRGGHHH it makes no bloody difference man.

It honestly makes no difference. The 360 is designed to be used either horizontally or vertically. It's quite funny when the idots in game ask (when your 360 dies) "did you have you're xbox horizontally...ah it should have been vertically...." ARRGGHHH it makes no bloody difference man.

Not had that experience.....:D

Immortaleffectz

Novice Member
I not heard of that one either. Thats crazy aint it. When as you say it is designed for both. If my 360 was to die i will get another. I wont be going to the dark side.

stu.artd

My 360 gave graphical corruption problems a few times when vertical back in August/September. I changed it to horizontal and it was fine for another 3 months before red ringing on me. When I called MS regarding repair they did ask if I'd had it vertical and if so then I should sit it horizontal. Now I have it back frrom repair it's vertical again as that's what suits my setup best right now.

Scholes18

At the moment my 360 is horizontal but lufted off the carpet on an old argos catalogue to keep the holes clear of the fibres.

Works really well for me , well so far anyway

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom