Should the V+HD box or the TV do the scaling?

beanybot

Standard Member
Hi, couple of questions kind-of rolled into one really. or one question pulled apart a bit if you like..;)

I have a RZ-32lz55 and im just about to hook it up to my new (Samsung) V+HD box. Ive had a look on the box settings and I see I can chose between 1080i or 720p.

Now Ive learned what the difference is and how these pictures both differ and would know how to set my TV up if it were a 1080p.

But its not, its a 720p (768 to be exact).

I think most HD programs in Europe are broadcast in 1080i (am i right in thinking that? certainly the ones i would want to watch, BBC, Discovery etc. not so much sports)

So basically, should I set it on the box to output 1080i or 720p? which is better for picture quality?

my instinct tells me that because its a 720 tv then set it to 720 but that means the box is adjusting the picture whereas if i leave it on 1080 then the TV will adjust the picture...

bit confused but hope i haven't lost you guys :)

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
HI

Generally V+HD boxes are very good at scaling. This is particularly evident when watching a SD programme. However if your TV is a 768x1366 then I think that the 720p setting on the V+ will be best.

However you could do a simple test . During the day on weekdays BBCHD on ch 187 broadcasts about 2 mins of an HD test card every 2 hours. So record 2 hours of BBCHD and fast forward to the test card. Replay it using both the 720p and 1080i setting on the V+HD and see which looks best.

You can also use it to set up your TV - for more details seeHERE

beanybot

Standard Member
HI

Generally V+HD boxes are very good at scaling. This is particularly evident when watching a SD programme. However if your TV is a 768x1366 then I think that the 720p setting on the V+ will be best.

However you could do a simple test . During the day on weekdays BBCHD on ch 187 broadcasts about 2 mins of an HD test card every 2 hours. So record 2 hours of BBCHD and fast forward to the test card. Replay it using both the 720p and 1080i setting on the V+HD and see which looks best.

You can also use it to set up your TV - for more details seeHERE
What a brilliant answer! Not only at you knowledgeable about my hardware you have given me that great extra info! Thanks man!

beanybot

Standard Member
Ok im hooked up! HD picture looks great through the DVI socket, no sound yet but the bits and bobs arriving tomorrow hopefully.

One weird thing...it will only show the picture (hd or sd) if the scart lead is plugged in.... The tv is defo on DVI socket and its coming from the HDMI but it will only show a picture if I have the scart plugged in, whats that all about?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
it will only show a picture if I have the scart plugged in, whats that all about?
That means...dare I say it...that you're viewing the signal from the scart output and not the HDMI.
I believe you have to select the HDMI output via the VM box setup menu.

beanybot

Standard Member
That means...dare I say it...that you're viewing the signal from the scart output and not the HDMI.
I believe you have to select the HDMI output via the VM box setup menu.
Im not, im really not. I am watching an HD picture. scart is not capabable of doing that. Plus the TV is set to DVI so wouldnt show a scart signal.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
beanybot said:
Im not, im really not. I am watching an HD picture. scart is not capabable of doing that. Plus the TV is set to DVI so wouldnt show a scart signal.
If as you stated you can only get a picture with the scart lead connected that's the source of your signal, there can be no other explanation.

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

beanybot

Standard Member
If as you stated you can only get a picture with the scart lead connected that's the source of your signal, there can be no other explanation.

With all due respect, you are wrong. The TV is set to and is only showing DVI inputs. The picture is CLEARLY HD, the V box is set to only hdmi out.

So there must be another explanation.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
beanybot said:
With all due respect, you are wrong. The TV is set to and is only showing DVI inputs. The picture is CLEARLY HD, the V box is set to only hdmi out
In which case removing the scart lead from either end the Tv should still be showing a picture be that SD or HD.

beanybot

Standard Member
In which case removing the scart lead from either end the Tv should still be showing a picture be that SD or HD.

It should indeed but for some reason the tv or box doesn't like it. Maybe something in the settings but I'm at a loss. To be honest I don't need that scart socket so it's doing no harm, just bizarre. ?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
beanybot said:
It should indeed but for some reason the tv or box doesn't like it. Maybe something in the settings but I'm at a loss. To be honest I don't need that scart socket so it's doing no harm, just bizarre. ?
Nothing bizarre about it...that's where the Tv is getting it's signal from.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
beanybot said:
Well in that case thats great, I didnt know scart can carry HD, ill just bin the HDMI cable.
Scart can't carry HD.
The point I've been trying to make is that you're viewing all signals...SD and HD in SD.

beanybot

Standard Member
Scart can't carry HD.
The point I've been trying to make is that you're viewing all signals...SD and HD in SD.

Mate, im no expert in AV but I know an HD picture when I see one and I would stake my life on it. Im not pulling your leg here, im just saying it like it is, im deffinately getting HD through the hdmi cable!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
beanybot said:
Mate, im no expert in AV but I know an HD picture when I see one and I would stake my life on it. Im not pulling your leg here, im just saying it like it is, im deffinately getting HD through the hdmi cable!
I don't want to labor the point but you can only prove to yourself you're viewing via the HDMI - DVI source by pulling the scart lead.
BTW you have 2 threads on here basically discussing the same thing...you should always keep everything together in the 1 thread as one thing imparts on another.

beanybot

Standard Member
I don't want to labor the point but you can only prove to yourself you're viewing via the HDMI - DVI source by pulling the scart lead.
BTW you have 2 threads on here basically discussing the same thing...you should always keep everything together in the 1 thread as one thing imparts on another.

I dont know how to explain it any better.

HD looks vastly different to SD and being someone who has never had HD before I can see CLEARLY that im watching HD. Clearly there is something wrong where the TV or the box is demanding I have the scart plugged in but i can assure you the TV is on "DVI" and is receiving via the HDMI cable. If you dead-cert that im watching SD via the scart then thats fine, no point arguing this any further. I will take two pictures tonight of the BBC HD channel with my digital camera. one with only the scart cable plugged in (SD) and one via the DVI (HD) you then, will clearly see the difference for yourself and we can put this to bed once and for all.

beanybot

Standard Member
This thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/520169-lg-rz32lz55-hdmi-dvi-problems-virgin.html makes mention of needing a scart connected so could just be a quirk of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums
Hmm strange one indeed. I thought at first when i plugged the dvi in and it just flickered that the TV wasnt HDCP compliant, but i have read that it is. After putting the scart back in as well (initially to try and look at the settings) I instantly saw a vast improvement in the menu resolution and when i went to the HD channels I was indeed in HD. (All this, still on the DVI channel on the TV)

Like i said no harm no foul though as im not using that scart socket anyways.:smashin:

beanybot

Standard Member
Ok, im afraid the Scart to blue 3.5mm jack hasnt worked :(

When i plug it either into the tv i hear through the tv speaker that distinctive connection "popping" sound that you would expect to hear when first connecting a 3.5mm jack but no sound to accompany the TV, just silence...

any ideas?

also a slight development on the "needing" a scart lead scenario. it doesnt have to be full scart to scart that it seems to need, it is perfectly happy having box-scart (either vcr or tv) to the 3.5mm jack on the TV, displays a picture fine with this but the second you remove that 3.5mm jack, no picture same as before. strange days....

beanybot

Standard Member
I HAVE SOUND! ok so i went to maplin and when i told him the problem i had he said he gets it all the time with the V+HD boxes and dvi HD TV's. he sold me another scart - 3.5mm audio, i told him it didnt work but he said this one had a switch on it and i should try both setting, one of them has worked!

I hope anyone else having similar problems this sorts it out for them too.

thanks for all the help guys.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
he sold me another scart - 3.5mm audio, i told him it didnt work but he said this one had a switch on it and i should try both setting, one of them has worked!
That's because these leads are directional...the one you tried earlier was 3.5mm Stereo jack > scart plug...what you needed...and what you ended up with was a scart > 3.5mm Stereo jack.
This problem crops up regularly on the forum and it's always best to use a switchable scart to phono adaptor and a 2 Phono to 3.5mm Stereo jack lead.
Glad your sorted at last.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Completely off thread but where are these " sent from my i-phone / i-pad using AVForums" buy lines coming from? Are they inserted by the device? Are they "show offs" from the poster or what?

If the former do Apple pay a royalty to AVForums?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Completely off thread but where are these " sent from my i-phone / i-pad using AVForums" buy lines coming from? Are they inserted by the device?
I use the iPad AVForums app and it's the default signature...which can be changed, but I just left it at it's default.
I believe there's also a just-launched Android app for the forum as well.
I use the app on my iPad when I'm out and about in the car during my working day, it's a very useful app and well laid out.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

LG Display teams with Disney for OLED Projects
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Oppo launches S1 and R1 4K smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lithe Audio AirPlay 2 ceiling speakers world's first
  • By Andy Bassett