1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the Government increase the TV licence?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by la gran siete, Oct 11, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Cant remember how much the BBc will be asking for but it seems to me we have been getting BBC tv on the cheap for too long and if we want the return of quality programming we should be prepared tp cough up- £150 to £170 seeems reasonable enough. I would also suggest a voluntary top up for sporting progs for I feel the crown Jewel events should be on the Beeb together with edited highlights of club footy and rugby.Mainsteam programming should concentrate on high quality drama, comedy, documentaries, current affairs and "minority" progs.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I only watch eastenders. I think the £120 is a ripp off as it is. :thumbsdow

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The BBC are awash with money. They recently sold their engineering arm off to Siemens for about £2bn, so they're not short of cash at all. However, I would happily pay another £10 a year if they promised to take Eastenders off the screen, and never bring it back :smashin:

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

'Leave it out Pat' :D

5. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    The BBC webiste says:

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763

Seems very reasonable to me :thumbsup:

7. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the government sholud raise the fee - providing they raise standards too. No more repeats during peak viewing. By all means run repeats at night when the recorder can catch it for you. Lets have new programs during the peak times

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I did once think about paying for my TV Licence with a photocopy of an old cheque to give them "another chance to see it"

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    :rotfl: Excellent !

10. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :nono: :nono: :nono: *curses and swears at u*

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Border tv region where i live is apparently going to be all digital within 3 years, therefore i propose they encrypt their signal and let those that want it pay for it and those ( like myself ) who don't want it won't pay.

Unfortunately goverment ministers recently proposed that they may at some stage replace the TV tax ( which they cannot justify in the age of digital tv and choice of what you pay for ) with a computer tax as apparently by 2020 we will all have computers and they have to find a way to make us all pay even more tax.

Dunno if the above will ever happen but i do know we all pay far too much tax on everything and its a pity we don't have a powerful lobby group that can defend us all as god knows politicians never listen to us, pay packets go up by a small amount yet electricity and gas go up by over 12% ( again )

In answer to the question - No increase please and indeed lets ditch this unwanted tax.

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Why should we be forced to pay the TV licenec if we dont watch the BBC channels. In fact , why should we be forced to pay for it at all. I pay for sky because I want to watch it. If I dont pay, they take it away, I wont get arested or fined. If I refuse to pay for the blooming BBC then I get in trouble with the law. Its a bloody outrage to be forced to pay for something that you may not even watch. I think we are the only country in the world that has a TV tax like this and it should stop right now!
    If you want to watch the channel, then fine, pay for it like a subscription channel and pay a preimum every month. If you dont want to watch it then once every thing goes digital you should have the option to not watch it and have it turned off. :(

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

I totally agree. Well said Dave :smashin:

14. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Make sure you don't listen to any BBC radio channels either Dave. ;)

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i want radio i have hundreds of channels on AOL and NO dj's talking over the songs and choice is superb, who needs the BBC ? not i thats for sure.

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I never listen to BBC radio either and as Foxy Mulder says there are hundreds of other stations to choose from.

Anyway I thought the TV license was for the TV and not for the radio. Surely BBC Radio as adverts to support it.

17. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    all bbc has is eastenders.

£120 a year for eastenders and a few comedys from time to time.

theyre as bad as rapists (but for your wallet)

18. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Make them self-funding by selling advertising space. Due to a busy lifestyle I rarely watch TV in 'real-time' anymore; instead I Sky+ the *few* interesting progs and zip through them when I get the chance. Including ads :devil:

Personally I've calculated that I watch around 10 hours of BBC programming per month; thats costing me > £1 per hour :mad:

When is someone going to come up with consumption-based pricing for all TV programming? I really resent paying > £1 per hour when (for example) my pikey state-scrounging (sorry, "unemployed") brother probably consumes an average of about 15 hours PER DAY for the same cost. Now if only petrol was priced that way...

19. Tom Tom

Tom Tom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I think that the BBC struggles to make the quality now because of choice. With so many programmes and channels and people give the choice to buy the sport and movies, the cost to buy the rights to them are now stupid. Its a self perpetuating system, By charging people £X to watch the sport then people who arent making £3bn a year in revenue for sport cant afford to buy it.

The BBC has Governmental rights to the FA Cup. No one can buy that.

I think the idea of subscription TV is OK if you can subscribe to channels not packages.

I am with NTL but there are 2 packages. The family (cheap) that I have and the Full one, however there are a few channels that I dont use now but some I would like to have. I cant mix and match.

Also the cost. It does seem a touch expensive when 80% digital channels are running repeats and old shows.

At least the BBC has some new stuff (but yes a lot of repeats)
    The channel I watch the most is Sky1 BBC1 ITV and Ch5
    Each has a range of programmes I watch.

Maybe you could be charged for actual usage.

Set up a pay as you go. It would mean people wouldn't waste energy leaving the TV on and going out the room.

You have access to all the channels but if you dont watch the sports you are not charged, but if you wanted to watch a match you are only charged for that one match.

20. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    if you stabnd here long enough - enough members with 1000's of pounds worth of dvd and HC equipment will start moaning about the TV licence fee.

less than 40p per day!!! christ you cant buy a paper for that!! If you cant afford less than 40p per day - they we'll organise a whip round.

there is NO one here that lives in the uk that has NOTHING to do with the BBC. the website the radio the TV etc etc etc.

they still provide the only TV channels that mean your kids WONT be bombarded with ads for cheap unhealthy food or expensive toys every 5 minutes. and thet still provide news coverage that is better than ANYTHING i've seen in other countries.

and what the BBC's HD channels - they will be free to air as well unlike any other HD service anywhere in the world.

RANT OFF/ (until the next "i cant afford 40p a day thread down with the BBC" thread.)

Gary

21. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    Trolling again?....the licence fee is from the time of the dinosaurs...It's like somebody shoving magazines through my letterbox, then expecting me to pay, even if i don't want them.

But if i don't want the magazines, thats fine, but i can't have a letterbox either!

22. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Taken from another time this old turkey came up

Try buying this for less than 40p per day:

23. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    The BBC yearly budget (from the licence) is currently £3 billion and they want to increase it.

NASA's 2005 budget was about £9 billion.

So unless the BBC is planning on presenting some TV shows live from the moon I fail to see how they can ask for more than a third of NASA's budget !

24. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hopefully, if the rise goes in to place, they will look at getting in good equipment for the FTA Hi Def service. Personally, I'd be fine with paying the fee. I watch a fair few BBC programmes including Top Gear and Spooks, the wife watches Casualty and the like. I listen to Radio 1 most of the time if I'm listening to the radio. I use the BBC website for general music, news and weather reports. I use interactive when Wimbledon is on and play the Spooks Interactive game too. I'm happy with the variety of the service they provide, I just ask if they can up the signal quality on freeview !

The idea that they charge for sports is an interesting one. I am a firm believer that the sport should be on the terestrial channels and absolutely dispise $ky for monopolising the sports, it's disgraceful. But the only way that sports can get back on the BBC, ITV or C4 is to get more money in. I would pay an extra 20-30 quid if it meant more sport on the Beeb.

Richie.

25. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Strangly enough mate I dont listen to any BBC radio. Essex FM for me at work :D

Cds only in the car at at home. In fact I dont even get a reception on the radio in my house, probably becasue I have not rigged up the ariel in the back of the reciver :D

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What channel have you been watching Dr Who on :confused:

27. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I think the original question was:

Should the Government increase the TV licence?

The anwser should be IMO NO, £120 per year is more than enough, if not too high.

I dont think it is fair to include the radio stations as they all have advertising and the TV license is for TV not radio.

28. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Mate, I can afford the TV licence, off course I can, and I have watched the odd Program on the bbc (INCLUDING DR WHO :D ). The point I am making is you dont have a choice with the licence and that is what makes me angry.
    If I dont want to watch the BBC anymore, why the blue blazes should I fund it? With sky and top up TV you pay for what you want to watch. Like I said in my previous post, IF I decided not to pay for sky one and the movie channels anymore, then I have the option to reduce my subscription charge. You dont have this option with the BBC. You are forced to pay it if you have a TV, Its a tax that funds the BBC, and If you dont pay it you are fined and end up in trouble with the law. This is just wrong. Being forced to pay for entertainment when you might not want it is wrong.
    Ok, so the bbc dont have ads, fair enough, no one is disputing that and yes your in right in saying that your children can watch these channels with out being bombarded with adds all the time. The fact is though, is that children dont just watch the BBC do they?, I am sure, pretty much all of them watch the other channels as well wich also have adds on them, so would a few more make any difference? I for one dont think so,
    This is an argumnet that no one will win as everybody is firm in thier opions on the licence fee anyway. I doubt gary me old mate, that anything I can say will convince you, and you wont convince me, so on this subject, we may have to agree to disagree. :thumbsup: ;)
    Dave.

29. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

I never said I did not watch the odd program on the BBC, in fact I can say I pretty much loved what they have done with doctor who. That was not the point I was making.
    My point stands that you should not be forced to pay for somthing that you might decide you dont want anymore. This is wrong and again is what makes me angry. :D

30. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

NOPE :D :D :D