Should the front of my amp give me a shock?

IndianaBlues

Prominent Member
Reaction score
:confused:

I was messing around with my 550 amp at the weekend, and noticed that whenever I touched the brushed aluminium front (not the controls sticking out of it, just the casing) I got a jolt...not enough to fry me but enough to hurt...should it be doing this? :confused:

i would think not !!!
this could just be static building up due to many possibilities....e.g. the type of footwear/clothing you are wearing or the type of cloth/duster used to wipe the amp or it may well be an electrical problem.
if you have a mains tester screwdriver touch the casing and see if the bulb in the screwdrivers handle lights up........if so then its an electrical fault.

regardless of what is the problem please be very careful!!!

Thanks for the replies! I don't think it was static, as I remained in the same position after the first shock and went back in for more ;)

I'm going to be away from home for the next two weeks, is there a risk of leaving it turned on for Mrs Blues to use while I'm away? I haven't really touched it since I plugged it in a year ago, so for all I know it could have been like that since I bought it!!! :rolleyes:

UNLESS YOU PLAN TO DO AWAY WITH MRS BLUES OR PERHAPS HOPE THAT YOUR HOUSE GOES ON FIRE THEN I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU UNPLUG IT AND STASH IT AWAY WHERE NO-ONE CAN GET TO IT.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom