Should the EU send more vaccines to the UK ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread seems more about Brit bashing because we left the EU more than it is about supplying vaccines .
Agreed...

The OP took the supposed original "premise" of giving more vaccines to the UK, and made it simply about praising the EU and slagging the UK off....

To me, that smacks of trolling pure and simple.

This is a chart which does not include the EU

I you go this way, you could also split US aid by states or differentiate UK aid with England, Wales and Scotland.
Don't be silly
While the eventual end goal may be the United States of Europe the position at the moment is that they are individual nation states which the USA states are not. For that reason you will find in London:

the USA Embassy (but no embassies for individual states)
and the embassies of the constituent EU nations including the French Embassy located at 21 Cromwell Road France in the United Kingdom - La France au Royaume-Uni

Same thing for vaccines, it's nice to commit for the future, but these last months, we saw the reality. India used to export/share its production (not anymore), only the EU has shared and is still sharing, even while most of the 27 are in lockdown and we total 2200 deaths/day
The EU is doing nothing of the sort. The EU has trumpeted itself as a trading block, and the benefits of setting up to manufacture and trade within the EU and benefit from single currency, frictionless VAT and Duty within their borders. Commercial companies setup offices, manufacturing and distribution there,. they were invited and incentivised to by the EU to do so. This holds for the Pharmaceutical industries as well. Companies that trade globally. These companies have contracts to fulfil, which they thought they were free to do so from their own purchased or rented supply chains that happen to be in an EU member country. These companies are just commercially trading, which they want to be left alone to be able to do. The EU has played next to no part in developing a COVID vaccination in terms of R&D facilities, manufacturing, supply, and distribution. This has been done by companies that are fulfilling commercial contracts to supply countries worldwide, that involves shipping goods that have been ordered and paid for via contract, that are simply shipping from their EU country member based manufacturing or distribution hubs (exporting if you will). This happens despite the EU not because of it.

It wasn't long back that the UK had the highest death rate in the world, i see no problem here with putting ourselves first.
Fair enough, I'm not against helping a country in a situation of emergency.

But what do you say, about "after using the vaccines of European plants to save the day", demanding more?

The EU should remove the block on vaccine exports,
Why did Boris Johnson "demand" this from the EU and simultaneously accepted the same block from India?

Why is he silent about the USA (with whom the UK is supposed to have a "special relationship") sitting on 30 millions jabs?

The EU is doing nothing of the sort. The EU has trumpeted itself as a trading block, and the benefits of setting up to manufacture and trade within the EU and benefit from single currency, frictionless VAT and Duty within their borders. Commercial companies setup offices, manufacturing and distribution there,. they were invited and incentivised to by the EU to do so. This holds for the Pharmaceutical industries as well. Companies that trade globally. These companies have contracts to fulfil, which they thought they were free to do so from their own purchased or rented supply chains that happen to be in an EU member country. These companies are just commercially trading, which they want to be left alone to be able to do. The EU has played next to no part in developing a COVID vaccination in terms of R&D facilities, manufacturing, supply, and distribution. This has been done by companies that are fulfilling commercial contracts to supply countries worldwide, that involves shipping goods that have been ordered and paid for via contract, that are simply shipping from their EU country member based manufacturing or distribution hubs (exporting if you will). This happens despite the EU not because of it.
I honestly think you are wasting your time trying to explain all of this because the person you are replying to knows all of this. I just think said poster is on a wind up mission. Must be because how else would you account for so much nonsense?

Agreed. Thread closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom