Should surrounds be direct firing or dipole x3? (Pics included)

Is there a particular reason for wanting to change them? A very quick Google shows they.are highly rated by most it would appear!

yeah but when you have a high end ATI amp it's kinda like the amp outclasses them by a long mile.

It's just they're not as big and awesome as Kef 206DS.

Attachments

• 1918594-92a3a2f8-kef-reference-206ds-dipole-surround-speakers-made-in-england.jpg
    1918594-92a3a2f8-kef-reference-206ds-dipole-surround-speakers-made-in-england.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 20
yeah but when you have a high end ATI amp it's kinda like the amp outclasses them by a long mile.

It's just they're not as big and awesome as Kef 206DS.
Maybe start your own thread asking the wider forum for their help?

Having the accuracy of where the sounds come from is exactly what brings you into the movie! particularly those moments with lots of surround aound activity.

My surrounds are 0.8 and 1 meter away and can tell you that they give the accuracy of what soundmixes are designed for rather than being difficult to hear where the sounds are coming from.

You will find other forums actively and majority of the time will recomend regular direct firing for all speakers in the entire system.

And then there's that significant issue of those who sit on a back wall. The only solution is sit away from the back wall for home theater purposes and benefits. There are minimal cons and the advantages outweigh the reasons to do so.

You will likely enjoy movies better when you can hear the sound effects as intended by the director and sound mixers! 🙂
Sorry but as @Harkon321 said previously, you are talking complete jibberish!

I have a dedicated room, with a 9.4.6 setup, I have tested all combinations and for my space, triaxial works best on my surrounds, with direct firing for my rears.

Each and every room is different, if direct firing gives you the best experience then great, but it doesn't mean that it is right for everyone.

It's what's best for Dolby atmos and many people agree with this. Just not this forum which has completely different standards ☹️

You know what actually. Dipoles are not recommended for Dolby atmos in the first place and I can state where to find this statement made by Dolby themselves!

It's becoming clear to me that people don't get the message! ☹️

It's what's best for Dolby atmos and many people agree with this. Just not this forum which has completely different standards ☹️

You know what actually. Dipoles are not recommended for Dolby atmos in the first place and I can state where to find this statement made by Dolby themselves!

I don't use dipoles I use bipoles.

I Own both types

You’re right in this point, but Dolby specs aren’t the golden rule for a typical sized UK room.

You’re right in this point, but Dolby specs aren’t the golden rule for a typical sized UK room.
Which is a point I consistently make (throughout this UK based forum) and indeed referenced previously in this thread.

You're dedicated room is the stuff of my dreams btw! 😀😍

I have a dedicated room, with a 9.4.6 setup, I have tested all combinations and for my space, triaxial works best on my surrounds, with direct firing for my rears.
I may have asked you this a while back in the Arendal thread, so apologies, but as you’re running the rear surrounds monopole do you still need to swap the left/right around? I’m guessing that’s only applicable when running them tripole?

I may have asked you this a while back in the Arendal thread, so apologies, but as you’re running the rear surrounds monopole do you still need to swap the left/right around? I’m guessing that’s only applicable when running them tripole?
No mate, makes no difference if running monopole

It depends. A lot of people here are stating hard and fast rules and quoting Dolby guidelines as though they are law.

First thing's first: Tripoles and dipoles are different. Tripoles do, contrary to what people are saying, produce a very nice direct-effect whilst also diffusing the sound. They work really well in an object-based environment.

Secondly, whilst Dolby advises direct radiators for object-based audio; that's making an assumption that people have a decent amount of room between the MLP and the surrounds. Most UK living rooms do not. Indeed, most UK rooms will see the MLP closer to the surrounds than the LCR. In these cases, direct radiators will be distracting.

Secondly, whilst Dolby advises direct radiators for object-based audio; that's making an assumption that people have a decent amount of room between the MLP and the surrounds. Most UK living rooms do not. Indeed, most UK rooms will see the MLP closer to the surrounds than the LCR. In these cases, direct radiators will be distracting.
Indeed - Which is precisely the reason I opted for Monitor Audio Silver FX's (in bipole mode) for my surrounds. Direct radiating would be far to close/distracting for me personally.

Indeed - Which is precisely the reason I opted for Monitor Audio Silver FX's (in bipole mode) for my surrounds. Direct radiating would be far to close/distracting for me personally.
Great speakers.

I have a couple in storage that I'm thinking of using in a system soon.

Having the accuracy of where the sounds come from is exactly what brings you into the movie! particularly those moments with lots of surround aound activity.
There's having the accuracy of having the sound come from a particular position in the "sound field"; and then there's knowing that it's just coming from a speaker in your room. The latter most certainly is not what "brings you into the movie".

In a good setup, the room and speakers should disappear. If you have enough space for direct radiators to work properly, that's great; but in a UK living space, sometimes compromises have to be made.

There's having the accuracy of having the sound come from a particular position in the "sound field"; and then there's knowing that it's just coming from a speaker in your room. The latter most certainly is not what "brings you into the movie".

In a good setup, the room and speakers should disappear. If you have enough space for direct radiators to work properly, that's great; but in a UK living space, sometimes compromises have to be made.

No chance of fitting Celestion A1 as sides, would block walk way. Would be 3x the depth, not wall mounted, closer therefore less spread of sound. Plus need to pull them away from the wall so literally be able to rest my arm on the speaker.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom