1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should speaker wires be the same?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by titanax, Jul 3, 2003.

1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

For a HT setup, should my front speakers & rear speakers use the same type of speaker cable?

Can I instead use for eg: QED Silver Anniversary for the fronts and use one of those no-name silver coated ones for the the rears?

I need about 20m for my rear speakers, so getting QEDs can really set me back! Can you really tell the difference for surrounds ??

Please advise

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah you don't have to keep the same. I've Rega flat £2.50/m for mains, cable talk excel 3 for centre treble, cable talk concert 2 for centre bass, cable talk theatre 2 for sides, jvc 16 gauge for rears.

3. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would use the same cable for the front three, cheaper cable for the longer side and rear runs.
    I doubt that you would notice any major difference in sound even if all the speakers are the same.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    titanax - if you're starting from scratch, I'd suggest it's good practice and common sense to at least ensure you use similar lengths of the same cable for your front three speakers as Zig advises. It's ideal to use the same for the surrounds/rears but not essential.

To some degree it depends also on your equipment, if it's high end stuff then scrimping on cables is false economy to my mind.

I use Nordost SuperFlatline Gold MkII across all three of my fronts (each cable being 2.5m long) and Cable Talk 3.1 for all four rear surrounds.