Should Sky have charged for my repair?

WarHog

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year I moved my 2yr old Samsung HD box (out of warranty) into the bedroom and subscribed to multiroom, after buying a new 1TB box as part of a Sky promotion.

The other day the Samsung box died, when I rang Sky they insisted that the box that had died was the new 1TB box (which it wasnt) and sent an engineer out, who replaced it for a new box, free of charge. Happy days:smashin:

As it was the Samsung box that had died, should they have charged me a service charge?

Probably. If you honestly tried to tell them the truth then that is their failing.

I told them on the phone time and time again that the faulty box was out of warranty, they insisted that the box serial number etc was registered to the new 1TB box.

I was under the impression that Sky charged £65 for a call out and repair to an out of warranty box?

This must be the first post on here about Sky not charging enough! :eek:

But, as Trollslayer said, your conscience is clear. :smashin:

And what "box" was that?

They provided a new Samsung HD box. I understand though that most new boxes are now Amstrad?

Seeing as the faulty box was out of warranty, would they normally have charged me a call out fee, had they known?

Yes, they are now supplying only Amstrad receivers so that was surprising, and you've done quite well.

Last edited:
Yeh, Im pleased ive managed to squeeze some blood out of the stone:clap:

My concern now is that the new 1TB box I got a few months ago is probably registered with Sky as being my old box. They seem to have the viewing card numbers recorded against the wrong box. If the 1TB box breaks, I could have a problem persuading them it isnt the old box!:confused:

Time will tell I guess

Did you install the new box yourself or did Sky do it,If it was Sky then I believe your entire setup would then be guaranteed for a period.

Sky set it all up.

Surely the new 1TB box will have 12mth warranty, but the old box that they moved upstairs shouldnt have been covered as its now 2yrs old?

Not complaining though, just wondered whether Ive 'got one up' on Sky or not.

They don't take much notice of the two years. I got my free one after longer than that.

Earlier this year I moved my 2yr old Samsung HD box (out of warranty) into the bedroom and subscribed to multiroom, after buying a new 1TB box as part of a Sky promotion.

The other day the Samsung box died, when I rang Sky they insisted that the box that had died was the new 1TB box (which it wasnt) and sent an engineer out, who replaced it for a new box, free of charge. Happy days:smashin:

As it was the Samsung box that had died, should they have charged me a service charge?

So did they change the old box or the new 1TB box, do you have two working boxes. If so then Sky are dafter than I thought.

They exchanged my old faulty box for a brand new replacement. So I now have the newly replaced box, and my 1TB box. Both fully working.

Like I say, they appeared to have my old box recorded on their system as being my new 1TB box.

Happy days.

You will proberly find that the service was logged against your new 1TB which is in warrenty, so they could prove you with a free service.

Sky are now only using Amstrad box for any new installs, this covers ALL boxes from standard and PVR5(HD) snd PVR6(1TB).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom