Should Sky contract new box manufacturers

redout

Does anyone else think that maybe its about time that Sky contract some of the top of the line manufacturers like Sony etc. to manufacture Sky boxes as they usually produce the higher quality product. This could lead to less problems, especially with regards to HD boxes.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
SKY have no interest in contracting with companies that can not meet the spec provided at the price required as well having issues with companies adding features which create a tier within a model range that isn't part of SKY's planning.

No question hardware design could be vastly improved perhaps at a minimal mark up but the bottom line is that it will still have to run SKY code which probably accounts for half the problems experienced and the "respected" brands have no interest in the negative aspects of that issue.

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
Both Sony and Panasonic both made Sky digiboxes previously, but quite a long time ago. Some would say that pace are one of the best Sky+ and digibox manufacturers but even they aren't immune from problems. A 'good' manufacturer doesn't mean a 'good' product. Even Sony and other brands have their off moments and can produce equipment that isn't very good.

Graham27

To be fair, I dont really know if the other manufacturers would make things any better. I'd rather have a satellite box from Pace than anyone else, and it seems like they aren't immune from problems. Samsung are pretty well regarded currently too, but their boxes seem to have issues also.

I was one of the ones who hung on (and on, and on...:D) moving from analogue to Sky Digital just so I could get one of the Sony digiboxes. And in the end, although it looked nice and matched my other kit, the performance was pretty much identical to any other digibox that I could have had far quicker :rolleyes:

I think that if, say, Sony could bring a box to market at current pricing, and both they and Sky could make money from it, then they'd be doing it now.

I'd love to see some different manufacturers making slightly different HD boxes. But after the Samsung and Pace boxes were released looking asolutely identical to the Thomson, I can't see it. Disappointingly :(

jenic

Both Sony and Panasonic both made Sky digiboxes previously, but quite a long time ago. Some would say that pace are one of the best Sky+ and digibox manufacturers but even they aren't immune from problems. A 'good' manufacturer doesn't mean a 'good' product. Even Sony and other brands have their off moments and can produce equipment that isn't very good.
I had a panny sky box, best sky box ever, it never crashed or lost signal or did anything it shouldn't do for the 4 years it was being used.

I agree about the off moments as in the late 90's and early 00's me and quite a few members of my family had a lot of problems with sony product, all of which did not perform very well and most broke within a few months (portable cd players, stereos, vcr's, camcorders). If it wasn't for my uncle buying a sony tv and seeing how good it was i wouldn't have gone back to them although i'm glad i did..

deanos

Our box upstairs is a Panny one, its pretty old and its never had any problems

Cyril

In the good old days most Japanese products were made in Japan to a very high standard.

Nowadays proper Japanese stuff is mainly made in Japan and sold in Japan only.

Most of the Japanese branded stuff destined for USA, Europe and UK is of lesser quality and made in China -e.g. Sony PSP, PS3, Toshiba Qosmio laptops etc..

The Europeans and Americans tend to be less fussy than the Japanese so accept more defects -e.g. PSPs and TVs made in China probably have more faulty pixels than the same model made in Japan.

I always try to buy stuff that's made in Japan wherever possible e.g. Fujitsu plasmas, Japanese PSP and PS3, Japanese Panasonic recorders etc..

However, individual components are probably mostly made in China nowadays at lower cost and so quality suffers a bit as we the consumer demand lower prices.

If the consumer was prepared to pay more for their TVs, consoles and Sky boxes the manufacturers might bother to go back and produce better quality products. Unfortunately this now only seems to apply to high end audio and DVD and lighting systems, so many quality manufacturers are now pulling out of the medium to high quality market. Fujitsu have pulled out of the high end plasma and LCD market in the UK and USA. Panasonic and Sony don't seem to make any more Sky digiboxes.

I suppose it is the consumer electronics equivalent of moving from Waitrose/M&S to Asda/Aldi/Lidl.

jdp1962

All of us want to get our Sky HD boxes at the lowest possible price. I mean, I've just seen a thread from someone who hoped to pay £50 for a Sky HD box, but didn't want to pay the £10 subscription that subsidises it. No doubt he'll then moan that the box is unreliable.

Is it any wonder?

When that is an exemplar of the typical customer's thinking, what prospect is there of any manufacturer building a higher spec, higher quality machine to sell for a higher price?

We have an (unofficial) mission statement at work:

There are three ways of doing something; quick, cheap and good.

If it's good and quick, it won't be cheap.
If it's quick and cheap, it won't be good.
If it's good and cheap, it won't be quick.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom